Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
November 22, 2022 at 5:41 pm #12514069

henrid-2

The following page mentions that the Site Kit Plugin is compatible with WPLM. https://wpml.org/plugin/site-kit-by-google/

I disagree as there is no way to have 2 URLs in Sitekit while this is possible with WPML.

This issue is recognised by SiteKit: hidden link

The best workaround I have found is the following: hidden link

November 22, 2022 at 9:36 pm #12514989

henrid-2

Hi Laura,

Back in front of my computer, apologies for having to cut it short.

Please find some of the links detailing the issue I found online:
hidden link
hidden link

I run my website under dearreal.com and deareal.fr using WPML (I plan to add more). I use Sitekit to keep track of my analytics and SEMRush for keyword opportunities (connects to Google Analytics, Search Console and page speed insights).

The setup works beautifully for dearreal.com but does not work for dearreal.fr. I want a Sitekit that works with Google Analytics, Search Console and page speed insight for dearreal.fr.

The best workaround was detailed using the bellow two pages:
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-setup-gtm4wp-with-wpml-for-multiple-domains/
hidden link

They use Google Tag Manager to serve a different Google Analytics script per domain. This offers a separate Google Analytics, Search Console and page speed insight for dearreal.fr. This would enable me to connect SEMRush to my dearreal.fr Google analytics for my french SEO.
With this config, I would lose Sitekit.

It would be amazing to serve different Google Analytics per domain using WPML.
Having Sitekit reports for each domain or language would be even more impressive.

Many thanks for your consideration and advice.
Have a great day!
Henri

November 25, 2022 at 6:41 am #12531663

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello Henri,

thanks for getting back and sharing helpful info.

As I understand issue happens also with any different language pages, not exclusively language per domain.

Also as I see the plugin author acknowledges this issue and is planning to work on it in the future, but not at this moment. From our side best we can do is reproduce and escalate to our compatibility team and ping the author again, but in the end, it will need to be fixed and implemented from the plugin author side, not WPML.

- We do plan to update Site Kit's logic in the future so that the stats for these URLs are accurately reported in Site Kit, but I don't have an ETA on that change at the moment.

I created a minimal installation of WordPress, WPML, and all necessary WPML add-ons.

You can access the WordPress dashboard using the link below:
- hidden link

Kindly follow the steps below:
- Set up WPML
- Install the necessary plugins.
- Try to replicate the issue.
- Share with me step by step guide on how can I check the issue

This will help us to report the probable issue to the compatibility team and solve the possible problem faster.

Thanks,
Drazen

November 25, 2022 at 8:57 pm #12536599

henrid-2

Hi Drazen,

Thanks for your help.

I have configured WPML to use folders, not URLs. So the French site is under hidden link.

I have installed the Sitekit plugin. Sitekit is gathering information about our website traffic on your minimal instal. Not sure how this will pan out, as we won't have traffic on the domain.

If you want access to my production website, I can share access with you.

The issue with Sitekit is I only have data vs my primary domain.
I agree that you won't be able to change this.

The issue with WPML is that I cannot specify a different Google analytics code.
Having the option to have a Google Analytics code per translated domain in WPML would be excellent and very straightforward.
This would also be the first step for Sitekit to progress in its support of multiple languages in Sitekit.

Let me know how to help best,
Henri

November 28, 2022 at 7:01 am #12543767

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello Henri,

thanks for getting back and taking the time to set up the test site.

I have checked a bit further on this issue, and I am afraid this is not something we can from WPML implement or fix.

It seems the Sitekit plugin would need a bit of rewrite in order to support this kind of function, not only with WPML but also with any other multilingual plugin.

You can check more info and reply from plugin author on next link:

When Site Kit can’t find a post/page in the local site for the given URL, it just does not show any stats for the URL in the Site Kit Dashboard, even though the statistics do exist within Analytics. We do plan to update Site Kit's logic in the future so that the stats for these URLs are accurately reported in Site Kit, but I don't have an ETA on that change at the moment.

- hidden link

I am afraid it is up to them to adjust and implement this from their side for other similar multilingual plugins also.

The best I can do is suggest you contact them and check for any ETA or similar and in the meantime, use the suggested workaround code to add difference analytics codes for different languages.

Hope you will understand,

Regards,
Drazen

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.