Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 -
- 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 3 days, 3 hours ago.

Assisted by: Bigul.

Author Posts
August 30, 2024 at 2:39 pm #16125334

edA

Something we discussed in our original chat was working to find a demonstration of the errors we were seeing. I was able to see and record one specific issue on my local site that occurred while I was working on translations and take a video recording of it. That's available here

hidden link

This demonstrates the issue where the translation is present in the String Translation system, but doesn't become visible until we enable "Auto register strings for translation". Hopefully this helps provide some insight.

I'm realizing that issue is not resolved by Auto register either. As soon as Auto register is turned off it reverts back to the original english translation. That means the issue continues to be present on the production/live site hidden link

That translation-appearing-during-auto-register-only issue is therefore the highest priority, because I don't have a resolution at all. Please advise.

August 30, 2024 at 3:13 pm #16125591

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue.

One doubt about the following. The local copy of the site is a fresh installation or a clone copy of your live/production site? Please confirm.

I was able to see and record one specific issue on my local site that occurred while I was working on translations

Please try the following troubleshooting steps (on local copy) after a full site backup{mandatory} and make sure the issue exists or not.

1) Go to WPML>>Support page, click on the Troubleshooting link (blue link in the middle of the page)

2) On the Troubleshooting page, please click on the following options in the *Clean up* section. Wait for confirmation of processing after each one.

- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information
- Fix WPML tables collation
- Assign translation status to duplicated content
- Fix terms count
- Fix post type assignment
- Cleanup and optimize string tables
- Show custom MO Files Pre-generation dialog box>>Generate .Mo files

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 3, 2024 at 1:37 pm #16135937

edA

This ticket was split off another ticket where I had already performed these steps after they were issued to me during a chat. I've gone ahead and performed them again for the sake of this ticket. Note that for this ticket I'm working with my production site, hidden link

Every step in this process alerted "Done" after clicking except:

- "Fix WPML tables collation" (displayed nothing, throbber just stopped),
- "Fix post type assignment for translations" (displayed a modal that said "No errors were found in the assignment of post types.")
- "Cleanup and optimize string tables" (Alerted that "Cleanup and optimization completed!")
- "Show custom MO Files Pre-generation dialog box" (Modal appeared, I clicked the "Generate .mo files" button, and it regenerated 17 items successfully)

The initial translation issue on hidden link continues to be present after those steps.

September 4, 2024 at 10:13 am #16139685

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. Are you having the same issue with the local and pre-production copies?

If so, we can troubleshoot the issue in the pre-production copy without affecting the live site.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 4, 2024 at 3:37 pm #16141759

edA

Yes, this specific auto register issue is also occurring on staging/local versions of the site. We can try hidden link where the issue is occurring here hidden link

Credentials for access on this site have been added to one of the other split tickets https://wpml.org/forums/topic/you-are-using-an-invalid-site-key-defined-as-the-constant-4

September 5, 2024 at 3:10 pm #16145768

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I will check it with the following ticket. Please wait.

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/you-are-using-an-invalid-site-key-defined-as-the-constant-4

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 11, 2024 at 11:36 am #16166187

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

We are still working on this issue and looking for the possible workarounds. But now unable to access the site frontend. It shows the following warning. Have you made any changes in the settings?

This page isn't working

****.site redirected you too many times.

Try deleting your cookies.

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Sorry for the late response because of the weekend and holidays.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 11, 2024 at 2:16 pm #16166903

edA

We have intentionally avoided interacting with the hidden link site in order to give you at WPML the best chance at finding and diagnosing the issue. As noted on the other ticket, we used some backend tools to confirm it was WPML causing the redirect issues. There does not seem to be any code changes, so we suspect some database configuration changes are causing the problem.

Please let us know if you would like us to pull a copy of the database back into the site and rebuild the test credentials.

September 11, 2024 at 4:45 pm #16167643

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Please pull the local copy. I hope it will help to track the issue. I am enabling the private option for the next reply.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 13, 2024 at 4:59 pm #16177075

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the details. The ticket is escalated to our second-tier team for further checking. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 17, 2024 at 4:20 pm #16189870

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

After reviewing the theme code our second-tier team has noticed that it has a lot of hardcoded translations. The parent theme loads the textdomain pinegrow but it looks like the child theme isn’t loading any textdomain, which may be causing the issue. Also, it is not loading it via load_theme_textdomain function as recommended here: https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/load_theme_textdomain/.

For example, the string *Attorneys for this Practice Group* is from the textdomain pinegrow (parent theme textdoamin) and not from strong>ogletree (the child theme textdoamin)

Therefore could you please let us know if you're getting the expected results when using just the parent theme.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 20, 2024 at 3:26 pm #16203589

edA

I'm assuming this is in reference to the od_translations function found in themes/ogletreefr/transaltions/translations.php . You're correct in assessing that it is not for a specific textdomain and that the theme is not correctly using load_theme_textdomain. However the translation for "Attorneys for this Practice Group" is not present in that list of translated items. Only WPML string translation is affecting that. It should not be relevant to this investigation.

> Therefore could you please let us know if you're getting the expected results when using just the parent theme.

When I switch to using the parent pinegrow theme I get the error where there are too many redirects. Disabling the OD Language Switcher plugin fixes the redirect issue (it apparently is dependent on that child theme). However, I'm still experiencing the same translation issue that initiated this ticket: Navigating to hidden link shows the English "Attorneys for this Practice Group" unless I have "Look for strings while pages are rendered" active on the back end. I am therefore not seeing the expected results.

I have left the site in the state of using the parent theme to help the tier 2 support not be distracted by other translation functionality.

---

I noticed the original ticket at https://wpml.org/forums/topic/several-issues-registration-page-access-disappearing-translations-translations-only-appearing-whi has been closed. I'm assuming this was automatic because it was incorrectly marked as "awaiting client response" despite the last entry saying that "We will get back to you as soon as possible. Please wait." Can we get that re-opened? Can a response be provided to some of the questions I issued?

September 23, 2024 at 7:58 am #16207770

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I have shared it with our team. Just to make sure, on this site now you are only facing the translation issue with the *Attorneys for this Practice Group* string, am I correct?

The original ticket is closed because we thought it would be related to the issue we are discussing here. Hope you would like to collect more details about the following constants. Please confirm.

define( 'WPML_ST_SYNC_TRANSLATION_FILES', true );
define('WPML_ST_SYNCED_FILE_MANAGER', true);

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 23, 2024 at 6:06 pm #16211369

edA

Honestly, the production version of the site is no longer experiencing translation errors because we have completely given up on the String Translation portion of WPML. The stability issues we experienced trying to manage the opaque MO files between environments and unclear/undocumented process led to too many times where the production site had translations fail. Those issues were detailed in the original closed ticket.

With those issues and the fact the we've seen no progress from support in nearly a month, the client was threatening to move away from WPML and our services completely without a fix. The issue was threatening our business. The "od_translations" function you saw in your last update was our workaround. It's fully implemented and consistent on all other environments of the site.

We've intentionally left the staging site you have access to un-updated so that the specific issue with this specific line can be debugged and fixed. I did not have any intention to address any other issue in this ticket--that's what the original ticket was for.

The fact that there are undocumented constants, which also seem to be undocumented internally for WPML, and yet are recommended in support scenarios is very difficult to understand to me. Yes, we'd love any documentation about those constants, but it was not the priority of this ticket. Those constants were not even the priority of the original ticket.

We've been working on this for a month (on my team, several months). We've seen no reportable progress from support. We have been left again and again with questions that are unanswered. The documentation is incomplete. Support is closing viable tickets that were awaiting responses from the WPML team. My confidence in WPML as a product is shattered. Is there anything, any progress on our outstanding issues that can be made or any plans moving forward?

September 24, 2024 at 9:37 am #16213472

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Sorry for the inconvenience. The issues are happening due to compatibility conflicts with your customized theme and setup. You're using a custom child theme, a custom parent theme, and custom server workflows, which can cause various issues.

Our team is still working on this issue. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul