Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 17:00 10:00 – 17:00 10:00 – 17:00 10:00 – 17:00 10:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 19:00 18:00 – 19:00 18:00 – 19:00 18:00 – 19:00 18:00 – 19:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 3 days, 21 hours ago.

Assisted by: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
September 9, 2024 at 12:16 am #16153278

nabilA-4

Background of the issue:
I am trying to update WPML to the latest version on my 11 websites connected to my WPML account.

Symptoms:
I received an error on the update page: 'WPML Multilingual CMS cannot update because your site's registration is not valid. Please register WPML again for this site first.' Then, I got another error on the register WPML section: 'WPML plugin cannot connect to wpml.org. WPML needs to connect to its server to check for new releases and security updates. Something in the network or security settings is preventing this. Please allow outgoing communication to wpml.org to remove this notice.'

Questions:
Why is WPML saying my site’s registration is not valid despite being registered?
How can I resolve the connection issue to wpml.org to update WPML?

September 9, 2024 at 12:18 am #16153279

nabilA-4

After both these errors, the update needed disappears and my wordpress weirdly thinks the plugins doesn't need updating (which it does, since it's not the latest version). Also, it unregisters and when I enter the correct key to re-register the site I get this error: Connection error: Unable to get data from service. Detailed error: cURL error 28: Failed to connect to api.wpml.org port 443 after 9375 ms: Couldn't connect to server

Same for all 11 of my websites!

September 9, 2024 at 2:20 am #16153359

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support. I'd be happy to help you with this.

Could you kindly reach out to your hosting provider and inquire whether the following URLs are on the whitelist?
- wpml.org
- cdn.wpml.org
- api.wpml.org
- d2salfytceyqoe.cloudfront.net
- ate.wpml.org
- ams.wpml.org

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

September 9, 2024 at 3:32 pm #16157496

nabilA-4

They said yes. There is nothing blocking these from the hosting provider side. Anyways, I did not make any hosting change recently and the connection has been working for years on this same hosting provider.

September 10, 2024 at 4:26 am #16159187

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello 🙂

To debug this issue further, I would need to check your site settings once, for this I would need temporary access (wp-admin and ftp) to your site.

So could you please provide me with those details, you will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
hidden link

This info is private and available to you and WPML supporters only.
Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note:
Backup your sites before providing the credentials or if possible provide credentials for the test site

Thanks

September 11, 2024 at 4:50 pm #16167647

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I checked from our end and I don't see any block to the site, would you mind asking the server provider to check this error and see if they can increase the timeout to 20s and see if it helps?

Thanks

September 11, 2024 at 4:56 pm #16167671

nabilA-4

They said this is a plugin specific issue and cannot help. They also said it was working before as I did and that there was no change. Please advise, do you see the issue?

September 12, 2024 at 5:23 am #16168743

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I have forwarded the issue to our systems team, I will update you as soon as I will have any feedback available.

Thanks

September 12, 2024 at 11:46 am #16170631

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Our system team checked and can't see any blocks from our end, sometimes third party plugins can also create this type of errors so can you tried disabling all non-WPML plugins, switching to one of the default themes, and checking whether the issue still persists or not?

Please remember to create a backup of your site (both files and the database) before making any updates or changes. This is always a good practice.

Thanks

September 16, 2024 at 4:24 am #16181178

nabilA-4

Hi,

Yes I tried that and still didn't work. Here is everything I tried:

Turned off Cloudflare
Disabled WordFence
Confirmed with host (GoDaddy) that nothing is blocking connections on their side
Disabled all plugins
Switched to a default WordPress theme
Manually updated WPML by downloading the new version and uploading it after deleting the older version

After all this, even with the newer plugin manually updated, it still couldn't connect to the server to even register. As mentioned, this is the same issue on all my other websites! GoDaddy said they can't do anything else. Please advise as this is your plugin. I appreciate your support.

September 16, 2024 at 4:45 am #16181197

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Thank you for the feedback.

I tried to use the ftp provided to us but it's not working, can you check and modify the details?

I have enabled the private reply for you.

Thanks

September 16, 2024 at 4:54 am #16181201

nabilA-4

It's in the nabdesign.ca folder in the public html

September 16, 2024 at 5:10 am #16181210

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

No it doesn't work for me, I am trying it from Kathmandu, Nepal, is there any IP restrictions?

Thanks

September 16, 2024 at 7:00 pm #16185361

nabilA-4

There is no restriction. It works for me. Please tell me what I can do to fix this or give you access differently. I use GoDaddy as my host and cPanel. You can send me instructions if needed. Thank you.

September 19, 2024 at 6:43 pm #16200586

nabilA-4

Here is the reply I got after a lot of troublehoosting from GoDaddy. Seems like you have to whitelist my server?

Dear Nabil,

Thank you for contacting Support. I would like to thank you for your patience while we investigated this matter. We have reviewed the issue and found that this server is not able to reach their server. Our server is being blocked from their end. We have tested other servers in our network and are able to reach their server. You will want to contact their support here WML Support.

Again, thank you for your patience. Please feel free to contact us 24/7 should you need any further assistance.

Regards,