Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
If you're trying to implement a floating language switcher on your website and it stays in the footer instead of floating as intended, even after adding CSS to the Additional CSS section and clearing the cache.
Solution:
We recommend inserting the following custom CSS code into WP > Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS:

.wpml-floating-language-switcher {
    position:fixed !important;
    bottom:0px!important;
    left:0px!important;
}

This should help position your language switcher correctly as a floating element on your page.

If this solution does not resolve your issue, or if it seems outdated or not applicable to your case, please check the related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verify the version of the permanent fix, and confirm that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. We highly recommend opening a new support ticket if the problem persists. You can do so at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 7.38 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kor 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
September 2, 2024 at 2:08 pm #16132270

loraT

Background of the issue:
I am trying to implement a floating language switcher on my website hidden link. I have followed the instructions in this tutorial https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/custom-language-switcher/.

Symptoms:
The language switcher is staying in the footer instead of floating as intended.

Questions:
Why is the language switcher staying in the footer instead of floating?

September 2, 2024 at 3:06 pm #16132598

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thanks for your reply.

Please try using the custom CSS code below and see if it helps. Insert into WP > Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS.

.wpml-floating-language-switcher {
    position:fixed !important;
    bottom:0px!important;
    left:0px!important;
}
September 4, 2024 at 1:08 pm #16140503

loraT

Hello,

I have added the CSS code to the Additional CSS but it seems that it is not working. After I have added the code I cleared the cache and cookies as well and check it through a private browser to see if there are changes but unfortunately there is no difference. The floating language switcher is still at the footer.

Regards

September 4, 2024 at 2:40 pm #16141223

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

I will need to closely examine your website. Therefore, I will require temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to a test site where the problem has been replicated, if possible. This will enable me to provide better assistance and determine if any configurations need to be modified.

Please note that it is important to have a backup for security purposes and to prevent any potential data loss. You can use the UpdraftPlus plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) to fulfill your backup requirements.

Your upcoming reply will be treated with confidentiality and will only be visible to you and me.

✙ To resolve the issue, I may need your consent to deactivate and reactivate plugins and the theme, as well as make configuration changes on the site if necessary. This emphasizes the significance of having a backup.

September 4, 2024 at 4:31 pm #16141963

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

I've corrected the custom CSS code for you and it works now. Could you check?

September 5, 2024 at 2:06 pm #16145600

loraT

Thanks for the support! I really, really appreciate it 🙂

loraT confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-09-05 14:06:57.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.