Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client needed to add glossary entries to a site with thousands of pages and encountered issues where the glossary entries would not update on existing pages without retranslating the entire page. Additionally, the client reported inconsistencies with the glossary entries sometimes not being applied or only partially applied within sentences.
Solution:
We informed the client that a new feature addressing their needs would be launched soon, which would allow glossary entries to be added as desired. We offered to notify the client when the feature is released.

Regarding the inconsistent behavior of glossary entries, we explained that the only known issue is with automatic translations, particularly with Deepl, where glossary entries are sometimes ignored. We have reported this to Deepl and are awaiting a fix on their end. We also asked the client for more details on what they meant by "it doesn't work" to provide further assistance.

If you're experiencing similar issues with glossary entries, we recommend waiting for the upcoming feature that will facilitate this process. In the meantime, if you encounter issues with automatic translations and glossary entries, please provide us with specific details so we can assist you more effectively.

Please note that the solution provided might be outdated or not applicable to your case. If the issue persists, we highly recommend checking related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need help, don't hesitate to open a new support ticket. You can do so by visiting the WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Alejandro.

Author Posts
February 6, 2024 at 8:06 pm #15273666

ianC-25

I have a site that was created (thousands of pages) that we found we need to add glossary entries. Is there a good way to do this?

I did a test page with a simple word that's not being used on the site and set up a glossary entry. New pages typically followed the glossary (although sometimes it didn't, sometimes it would only replace the word on the page once, or only at the end of the sentence but not the beginning).. but if the page was already created then the glossary entry wouldn't edit even on a page save. The only way I could get it to update was to delete the translated page and retranslate the whole page (which isn't a feasible option, plus we already spent a lot of money on translations)

Any suggestions?

February 7, 2024 at 1:59 pm #15276940

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello! we will be launching that feature quite soon, and it will do exactly as you want. the details will be revealed with the launch of the feature because we don't have a way to do that yet.

We expect to release the feature in just a few weeks so if you can wait, i can actually notify you via this ticket when that happens.

Let me know so i can then do the changes on my end and make sure you get notified.

February 7, 2024 at 4:54 pm #15277921

ianC-25

Thank you, it's a much needed addition! Please let me know when that is updated, thanks so much

Side question, do you have any suggestion or troubleshooting tips on why the glossary entry sometimes does not work, or only in certain places in a sentence?

February 7, 2024 at 5:06 pm #15278036

Alejandro
Supporter

The only known issue where a glossary won't work is when it's automatically translated, most of the time with Deepl. in those cases the glossary is handled by them, not us and for some reason it's sometimes ignored.

We had informed them about this issue and we're waiting on a fix on their end. Apart from that, it all depends on what you mean when you say "it doesn't work", is it not recognized as a glossary entry? is it recognized but not being added to the translation? something else?

Regards.

February 7, 2024 at 7:49 pm #15278846

ianC-25

I turned off deepl and will see if that works.

What is the current recommended way to apply new glossary terms to pre-existing pages?

Thanks for the support!

February 8, 2024 at 10:30 am #15280503

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello,

Right now, the best way is to edit each page using the translation editor, after having created the glossary and retranslate it manually. by the way the feature i had meantioned is set to be released in 2 weeks from now, at the end of the month 🙂

Regards.

February 9, 2024 at 6:32 pm #15287314

ianC-25

Thanks. New release sounds nice! Can you confirm what feature you are referring to that it will be adding? Are you referring to when your re-save a page with a new/existing glossary entry?

February 12, 2024 at 11:19 am #15292542

Alejandro
Supporter

It will not be an automatic type of feature, meaning that it will not do anything "on its own". you'll have an option to set the latest glossary translation int the translation jobs created in the last 30 days.

If a page is too old, then you can re-send it to translation and then press the button i mentioned before and it will be taken into consideration.

More details on how it works will be coming soon, so keep an eye on our blog posts or our mails.

Regards.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.