Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is trying to understand and implement media translation. They noticed that images are located in WPML>Media Translation but are not found in Translation Management as shown in the documentation. The client is also concerned about the absence of a "core/image" location when translating pages and whether running the "Start" function multiple times could be an issue.

Solution:
1. To ensure images appear in the Advanced Translation Editor (ATE) for translation, we enabled the option "Translate media library texts with posts" in WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation and applied the changes.
2. We clarified that image URLs typically do not appear in ATE unless the image is external. For different images per language, WPML Media Translation should be used.
3. We explained that only images that are in post content or attached to the post are available in Translation Management. Images used from the media library and inserted into custom fields, like Elementor data, are not available.
4. We also mentioned that images need to be translated only once. Translating the alt text or title of an image will save it in the translated media, independent of post translation. Therefore, there is no need to translate the same image for each post it is inserted into.

If this solution doesn't look relevant, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqas Bin Hasan 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqas Bin Hasan.

Author Posts
July 21, 2023 at 8:59 pm #14082135

tannerT

1. Yes, I see the help articles myself. "Translate existing media in all languages" is extremely misleading if this does not in-fact "Translate existing media into all languages".

As mentioned, and it seems you agree since this has been escalated, the media translation feature of WPML makes absolutely no sense. If this does in fact translate all media, then this case would be closed, all pages would have reference to the new media, and there is no further need for support - but that is not what this does? It just translates all media, and then does nothing with it? I still have to select media one by one in Translation Management system despite translating all media here with this button? Whats the point

2. On standby

3. On standby

July 24, 2023 at 7:13 am #14086153

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

1) It should work as stated in the guide. But looks like it is not working for you. Perhaps there's a problem which needs investigation properly.

I'll recommend reporting this in a new ticket, so it can be examined properly and our support can help you fix this issue.

For #3, I'll update you in this ticket as soon as I hear back from 2nd tier.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

July 25, 2023 at 7:17 am #14093495

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

I got information and explanations from the team, please consider followings.

A) Images not being shown in ATE (translation editor) for translation:

I turned on WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation -> "Translate media library texts with posts" and clicked "Apply" (see attached). After that I went to update the translation of a page (i.e. Become a Walk-In Tub Reseller – Copy) and I could see title, caption, alt-text in ATE for translation.

B) But image URL didn't appear there (in ATE):

URLs usually don't appear for media unless this is an external image. To have different images per language, we use WPML Media Translation.

C) Images not being displayed in Translation Management (TM - when content is selected), like some do:

Only images that are in post content or attached to the post, are available in TM. If image is not uploaded to post and being used from media library + inserted into the custom field i.e. Elementor data then it is not available.

Now the reason for this behavior, images need translation only once. If you translate the alt text/title it will be saved in translated media independent from post translation. There is no point in translating the same image for each post where it is inserted so if you translate it for one post it will be translated for all posts.

I hope this clarifies the query regarding images not being appeared in TM and ATE for translations.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 120707.jpg
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.