Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.34 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 53 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lucas Vidal de Andrade 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Lucas Vidal de Andrade.

Author Posts
June 3, 2024 at 4:21 pm #15698658

nickF-8

I just moved my site hidden link from a shared hosting at Bluehost to a Cloud hosting. The last 2 posts on my blog hidden link were posted after I moved to the new host.

You will see that the language bar links in the top right navigation menu are not working properly for the 2 new posts done on the new host. Many times the links point back to the homepage in the language of the menu bar.

If you look at the other, older posts, written before I moved the hosting, you will see that any post you click, if you click a language you will get that same post in the other language, it does not go to the homepage.

Any ideas what happened here and how to fix it? I already tried the fix links option but it didnt do anything.

June 3, 2024 at 7:01 pm #15698984

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

I checked your website and confirmed that the links are taking to the home page, when switching languages inside the most recent post.

That usually happens, when a post is not fully translated, or the translations are set as drafts. Can you please confirm that the translations are completed and saved, and also that the translations are not set as drafts? (you can see your posts list from the admin panel and switch the language in the top-bar, to check if translations are set as drafts).

Please let me know.

June 4, 2024 at 9:58 pm #15704446

nickF-8

Hi Lucas I checked and the translations are completed and all are published. Seems strange that the problem is only on the 2 newest posts that I did after changing the host. and it seems the problem is random as well, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

June 5, 2024 at 12:17 pm #15706618

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” or "All in One WP Migration" on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

June 5, 2024 at 4:00 pm #15707957

nickF-8

I did a test today and published a new post and tried translating it and it has the same problems as the last 2. Take a look for yourself, all posts are published because you can see them if you browse to the various language blog pages of the site, but if you are on the post and try to change language it wont work.

I have a feeling all this might be caused by a conflict from Jetpack, because Jetpack is the only plugin that I now use in the new hosting server that I did not use in the old one. In the old one I used WP Rocket instead.

Do you have any known conflicts with Jetpack, especially Jetpack Boost features which help speed up the site?

June 5, 2024 at 5:54 pm #15708464

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

I checked some known issues we have with Jetpack, and they're either solved in the latest version or are unrelated to what you described…

My goal with accessing your website is to create a local copy and check for plugin or theme conflicts. It's the best way I have for quickly finding out what's causing your issue. If you do not wish or can't provide access to your live website, you can also create a staging version I can access where the issue also happens. These errors really vary from website to website, so checking it directly is the best way to solve it.

WP Staging is not an official partner from WPML, but is a great tool to quickly create reliable staging versions:
hidden link

I left the field for you to input your credentials active, in case you can sahre access to your website or to the staging version.

June 5, 2024 at 8:08 pm #15708688

nickF-8

I just noticed a major mix up on the English blog page: hidden link. It is mixing together the English and the Italian blog posts all on the English page. Why? Scroll down and you will see.

June 5, 2024 at 8:36 pm #15708819

nickF-8

I think the problem must have started with something going wrong during the migration. But hopefully you can fix it.

June 6, 2024 at 4:38 pm #15712653

nickF-8

Hi just wondering if you have any news?

June 6, 2024 at 5:52 pm #15712992

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

It appears that the problem was related with the permalink structure. Please make a full website backup and follow these steps:

1. Go to WPML > Languages and re-save your "Language URL format" options. There's no need to change anything;
2. Go to Settings > Permalinks and save your options. No need to touch any stting as well here;

Thereafter, everything should work as expected. As for the posts that are showing in Italian in your blog, you can fix that by visiting them, editing and changing the language to Italian in the Language Settings of the post (check the screenshot attached). Maybe the translation got lost along the way, so you can translate these posts from Italian to the other languages.

Please let me know if that fixes it for you. Thank you for understanding.

Edit Post _Il calcio sta tornando a casa _in Grecia__ _ Hellenic Moon _ WordPres.jpeg
June 7, 2024 at 11:24 am #15715266

nickF-8

Hi,

I did what you asked and at first it seemed to have worked, but then when I refreshed the latest blog post, or just go around to other blog posts and play around with the language randomly, eventually the links of the language points to the home page and not to the translated page. Can you try it out and see for yourself?

In regards to the random Italian translations showing up as English, I found 17 posts that were Italian but tagged as English. It turns out these posts were ok to delete because they were not actually the real Italian version of the post, just a weird extra page created somehow. But now that they are trashed, the problem of the English and Italian mixup seems fixed.

Please check about the other problem hopefully we can fix that.

June 7, 2024 at 11:34 am #15715800

nickF-8

To be more clear, if you change the language on the menu bar enough times, not just on blog pages but almost anywhere, eventually the link will break and point to the home page, not the page to be translated.

I clicked fix links just in case that was the problem, but its not.

June 7, 2024 at 5:54 pm #15717599

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

Thank you for sharing the details. Let's try restoring your htaccess file. Please make a full website backup and follow these steps:

1. Access your website files (via FTP or cPanel, as you prefer);
2. Rename the .htaccess file to .htaccess-old (this way you have a backup of the file;
3. Create a new file called .htaccess and insert the following code into it:

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

# END WordPress

4. Upload it to the same folder you found the first .htaccess file;

After that, check if the website is behaving as expected. Let me know.

June 7, 2024 at 6:20 pm #15717642

nickF-8

Have you also confirmed and seen the problem I am talking about?

Is the whole new .htaccess file made up of just 10 lines? Or is there more? What about all the other edits I have done over the years to the .htaccess file?

June 10, 2024 at 11:47 am #15721844

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

Of course, I have reproduced the issue multiple times locally. After performing the steps I described first, about the permalinks, the copy I created of your website started working as expected.

Since the same thing didn't happen on your live website, there might be additional settings on your server that are still causing the issue. That's why I asked you to restore the htaccess file. If you have additional settings, please send me the code (you can erase sensitive data), so I can analyze and check if the issue is there. If there's no issue there, I can send your ticket to our development team, but let's check it first.

I appreciate your cooperation and patience, as this ticket is taking a while to get solved. Occasionally, the causes of the issue are really specific, like it seems to be in your case, so we have to check many settings until we get to a solution.

The topic ‘[Closed] Menu bar links not working properly after moving to new host’ is closed to new replies.