Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.51 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 53 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lucas Vidal de Andrade 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Lucas Vidal de Andrade.

Author Posts
June 10, 2024 at 1:59 pm #15722484

nickF-8

If you managed to make the copy of my website work on your server but then the solution is not working on the live server, there is a high chance the problem is due to the setup of the host, which is using a new Cloud hosting service from Bluehost.

I had problems with other plugins that had their write access to certain files blocked due to how the Bluehost Cloud hosting is setup, and they could not open it just like that, they had to submit a change request to allow for it, and that change request could take months to be processed.

So maybe we should be coordinating our efforts with the Bluehost support to figure it out?

June 10, 2024 at 2:08 pm #15722571

nickF-8

I just talked to Bluehost support about the .htaccess file and they told me the .htaccess file applies for websites hosted on an Apache web server, where the new Cloud hosting uses a NGINX server that does not use a .htaccess file.

So that might explain the problem. Any ideas?

June 10, 2024 at 6:09 pm #15723598

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hey there,

Thank you for your efforts. Indeed, usually in this scenario, the cause of the issue is server related. I checked again on a fresh local copy, repeated the solution, and the issue is not happening there.

Please reach out to BlueHost's support again and explain the issue you're experiencing. Make sure to clarify that the issue is only happening at the live website and that you're in touch with us. Let's see if there's something that can be done from their side.

Meanwhile, can you please setup a staging version of your website on the same server? I recommend you use WP Staging for that, it's quick and easy to use:
hidden link

Please make sure to have a full website backup, before performing any of the recommendations shared here I'll wait for your feedback.

June 10, 2024 at 6:37 pm #15723648

nickF-8

Can you be a bit more specific in terms of what I need to ask from Bluehost support? Something they need to activate or do? Some questions to ask?

For the staging site it is not an easy thing, I think they told me I cannot do staging sites because my account can only allow 1 site, and a staging site counts for 1 all by itself, so it would be over my limit

June 11, 2024 at 1:35 pm #15726985

nickF-8

I just talked to Bluehost support and got this message from them:

So unfortunately, it looks like WPML Multilingual CMS is not compatible with Cloud. It technically creates two sites in one file to translate it, which is considered a multi-site which is not supported here.

Any ideas what we can do here? I will keep talking to them and see what they say

June 11, 2024 at 1:57 pm #15727230

nickF-8

I think it might be best if you try contacting Bluehost support to ask them more specifically about their new Bluehost Cloud hosting plans and see if there is some way of making WPML work on it.

They say a plugin developer will need to know their Cloud hosting usese Nginx servers with no .htaccess.

Try calling Bluehost Cloud support if you want to ask them directly specific questions. Their US number is 844-206-2096

June 11, 2024 at 1:58 pm #15727231

nickF-8

Just add a +1 in front of it if you are calling from outside the US

June 11, 2024 at 5:44 pm #15728507

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hey there,

There's not much I can recommend you to ask from Bluehost, besides explaining the issue. I think their answer is unrelated to the issue, it seems it's just a generic answer. If that was the case, WPML wouldn't be working at all on your website.

I cannot get in touch with Bluehost, as I'm not directly their client, and they're not an official partner from WPML.

I talked to my colleagues and there are a few things I still want to check on your live website, as they recommended. I tried login in again, but the login link wasn't working like previously, I could not access the Back End. Can you please verify?

June 11, 2024 at 9:08 pm #15729017

nickF-8

Hi I thought you were done with the login link so I cloaked it to avoid getting spam signups. But since you need it I opened it again.

I kind of agree with you that Bluehost support is not understanding the full situation, but they also cannot go much further on their own without more specific comments from your side on what you want them to check on or do.

Hopefully whatever you had on your mind will do the trick. Right now the menu bar kind of works, the first few times I try translating a page it works, but then after a few times it stops working and redirects to the home page. Let's see what you come up with.

June 12, 2024 at 3:38 pm #15732636

nickF-8

I just posted a new post today and noticed that apart from the usual problem, it did not translate the category correctly for the Italian and the Greek translations. Not sure why, maybe related to the ongoing problem? It is strange though because the other newly translated posts at least had the correct category.

June 12, 2024 at 8:36 pm #15733466

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

There are a couple more things I'll be testing, I'm also getting a second opinion from my colleagues. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

June 13, 2024 at 11:35 am #15735892

nickF-8

Ok thanks

June 13, 2024 at 6:22 pm #15737580

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

From our side, we checked and did everything possible to try and fix the issue. I created another copy, on a live server, so you can check that it's working in other environments (it's a slow server, but you can check that the language switcher works):
hidden link

Unfortunately, there's nothing more we can do, apart from recommending you to reach out again to your hosting support, or changing servers. I hope you understand the situation and apologize for the experience you had with WPML on your server.

Regards,
Lucas Vidal.

June 13, 2024 at 6:50 pm #15737632

nickF-8

Changing server is not really an option right now. Could it have something to do with the built in CDN of the new host?

Since I cannot change server, my only alternative might be to change language translation plugin unfortunately. What is the simplest way of deactivating WPML but not losing all the translations I have done so far?

June 14, 2024 at 12:01 pm #15740000

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

We have no information that indicates that the issue is CDN related. That's the problem, from our side there's not much to check or do, since the error happens on the server and not on the client side.

If you deactivate WPML, your translations will still be saved in your DB. If you want to export the translated content, there are many ways to do that, suited to different scenarios.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-desktop-cat-tools/configuring-xliff-file-options/
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/export-multilingual-websites-using-wp-all-export-wpml/
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/transfer-wpml-translations-from-one-site-to-another-with-wp-sheet-editor/

The topic ‘[Closed] Menu bar links not working properly after moving to new host’ is closed to new replies.