Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is experiencing site crashes when attempting to complete translations. This issue has occurred previously and is suspected to be related to a plugin conflict, potentially with WordFence, as indicated by the error message from the file

/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/functions-load-tm.php

Solution:
1. Temporarily disable the WPEngine cache to check if it resolves the issue.
2. Put the website in maintenance mode and deactivate as many plugins as possible to identify if a specific plugin is causing the translation issue. Reactivate them one by one to pinpoint the problematic plugin.
3. Verify that WordFence is configured correctly as it is compatible with WPML. Consider trying another security plugin recommended by WPML if the issue persists. You can find a list of recommended security plugins here: https://wpml.org/plugin-functionality/security/.

If these steps do not resolve your issue, or if the solution seems outdated or irrelevant to your case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the problem persists, please open a new support ticket at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 33 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jacky 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
July 25, 2024 at 10:37 am #16002657

Jacky

<b>Background of the issue: </b>
I am trying to complete a translation and in trying to do so the site crashed. This has happened before on this site. This happened 2 weeks ago but was not resolved: reference this ticket https://wpml.org/forums/topic/critical-error-issue-translation-loss/page/3/ for follow-up.

<b>Symptoms: </b>
My site has a critical error and crashed.

<b>Questions: </b>
Why does my site crash when I try to complete a translation?
How can I resolve the critical error that causes my site to crash?

July 25, 2024 at 10:40 am #16003019

Jacky

The plugins were updated and I tried again to complete the translation, the site crashed again, here is the critical error info: Error Details
=============
An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 501 of the file /nas/content/live/thebigideas1/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/functions-load-tm.php. Error message: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get_source_language_code() on bool in /nas/content/live/thebigideas1/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/functions-load-tm.php:501

July 25, 2024 at 3:38 pm #16004611

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thanks for reaching us.

Kindly update all outdated WPMLL plugins in WP > Plugins > Add New > Commercial Tab > Click Update.

Once you've done that, please check and see if the issue is resolved.

If the issue continues, I will need to closely examine your website. Therefore, I will require temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to a test site where the problem has been replicated, if possible. This will enable me to provide better assistance and determine if any configurations need to be modified.

Please note that it is important to have a backup for security purposes and to prevent any potential data loss. You can use the UpdraftPlus plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) to fulfill your backup requirements.

Your upcoming reply will be treated with confidentiality and will only be visible to you and me.

✙ To resolve the issue, I may need your consent to deactivate and reactivate plugins and the theme, as well as make configuration changes on the site if necessary. This emphasizes the significance of having a backup.

July 26, 2024 at 11:30 am #16008411

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

I've tested the translation and it worked fine when I translated the About page to French here hidden link

May I know how do I replicate the issue?

Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 7.29.41 PM.png
July 26, 2024 at 11:32 am #16008439

Jacky

Hi Kor, I've just received an emial from WP ENGINE that the site has just crashed. 12.27pm

An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 36 of the file /nas/content/live/thebigideas1/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/records/class-wpml-tm-icl-translation-status.php. Error message: Uncaught InvalidArgumentException: Unknown column: rid or invalid id: 0 in /nas/content/live/thebigideas1/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/records/class-wpml-tm-icl-translation-status.php:36

July 26, 2024 at 11:34 am #16008456

Jacky

I don't know what to tell you on this. When it crashed a day ago I was trying to amend a Russian translation of marketing guide no. 3. The translator was unable to complete the translation even though all fields were completed. She asked for my help. I went in and tried to cancel the job and take a look myself. When I cancelled the job the site crashed.

July 26, 2024 at 11:35 am #16008459

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, may I know which page are you referring to? I'll need to be able to replicate the issue before I can troubleshoot this for you.

July 26, 2024 at 11:39 am #16008463

Jacky

This is the page: hidden link the issue was with the Russian translation but that has disappeared when it crashed. I was trying to find out why the russian translation could not complete with 96% even though it all appeared done. When I tried to cancel the job the site crashed and the russian translation has now been lost. I could try roll the site back to a previous time so the problem page reappears?

July 26, 2024 at 3:03 pm #16009143

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for your response.

I tested it again at hidden link and was able to translate the Russian page without any crashes, as shown in this video: hidden link . However, the page still shows as "need update." To address this, I ran the options at hidden link , as demonstrated in the attached screenshot.

The Russian language page is now fully translated.

Screenshot_154.png
July 26, 2024 at 3:14 pm #16009175

Jacky

Please can you tell me:

where did this translation come from?! Did you use ATE?

Why did the site crash earlier today when I wasn't on it and you were testing it? I received a notification of a fatal error.

I used this method before and it made no difference to the uncompleted translation, so I don't know what to tell you.

I think I need to roll the site back to see the original issue.

July 26, 2024 at 3:17 pm #16009193

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I’m using ATE and haven’t encountered any crashes. I don’t think it’s necessary to restore the site since everything seems to be working fine now.

Could you please continue translating the site? If you experience any crashes again, let me know, and we’ll see what we can do to assist.

July 26, 2024 at 3:20 pm #16009194

Jacky

I'd like it if you could specifically respond to my questions please.

This cycle of the site crashing then you being unable to replicate it then it happening again is really demoralising and to be honest a am seriously questioning this software. I've been trying to operate this site for some years and it is never without translation issues. It wastes hours of down time and is very disheartening.

If it crashes again and you can't replicate it, what would you do in my shoes?

July 26, 2024 at 3:31 pm #16009257

Jacky

Kor, I have rolled the site back to restore it to a point where the original Russian translation is there but showing 'in progress'. This was before the site crashed.

Please can you now go to the no 3 marketing guide 'be seen' and you'll find the russian is only 96% complete. This is where the issues began. I couldn't complete it, even though it shows all sections complete.

I tried the troubleshooting fixes you suggest. This did nothing.

When I went to cancel the job to try and see if I could take over and fix it the site crashed. Please can you check this out now with those steps? thank you.

July 26, 2024 at 3:34 pm #16009265

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, I will recheck this for you. Could you please update the credentials again? I've enabled the private reply option for you. Please make sure to perform a full backup just incase anything happens.

July 26, 2024 at 3:42 pm #16009289

Kor
Supporter

Sorry, the credentials are still incorrect. Could you double check?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.