Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 70 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kor 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
January 11, 2024 at 10:16 pm #15176779

Chainalysis

Hi Kor, thanks for getting back to me. I tried again and ran into similar problems. I even upgraded to WPML 4.6.9 as a test, and ran into similar issues.

I was unable to translate the existing /chainalysis-kyt/ into Japanese. When I tried, this broke the page content.

I was also unable to translate a new page with a set of ACF fields. When I tried, the translation finished but the new page returned a 404 error.

You can see the exact steps and problems here:
hidden link

January 15, 2024 at 8:16 pm #15186981

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thanks for your patience.

I will have to escalate this to our 2nd Tier Support again. I will come back to you once I've feedback.

January 16, 2024 at 8:34 pm #15192154

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't complete my report due to some server restrictions as shown in the attached screenshot. I cannot edit the ACF fields here hidden link and also, reactivate some plugins that I deactivated. Could you please check on the permission issue?

Screenshot_566.png
Screenshot_565.png
January 17, 2024 at 2:58 pm #15195644

Chainalysis

Hi Kor, I logged in and experienced the same problems as you did.

For now, I reset the environment and confirmed that I'm able to log in as "wpml", and edit the ACF field settings and change which plugins are active.

Feel free to deactivate plugins during testing, but please know that WPML sometimes malfunctions if this sessions plugin is not enabled:

> Native PHP Sessions for WordPress

That said, I've never seen this exact combination of problems where it wasn't even possible to activate plugins or edit ACF settings, but this is the only environment where we're now running WPML 4.6.9, so that version might somehow be related.

Please let me know if you'd like me to downgrade WPML back to version 4.6.8 at any point, if if seem that the new version is somehow introducing new problems.

If you run into these problems again, we can try to deactivate the WPML plugins first, and then see whether it's possible to reactivate other plugins and whether ACF settings can be edited without WPML enabled. And then we can troubleshoot from there.

Or I can simply downgrade to WPML 4.6.8.

Thank you for continuing to look into this.

January 19, 2024 at 10:59 am #15204280

Kor
Supporter

I appreciate your understanding.

Apologies for the wait. I'm currently reviewing this on your behalf once more, and I'll respond promptly.

January 23, 2024 at 6:29 pm #15218547

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your patience.

Ok, I can edit all the settings in ACF now. Also, the translation works now. Could you check again?

hidden link - EN
hidden link - DE

January 23, 2024 at 8:38 pm #15218816

Chainalysis

Hi Kor, thank you for working on this.

What settings did you change?

The ATE sync seems to be working again when I try to translate this page into Spanish and German! This is great.

However, the translations still seems to fail on the Japanese version of the page:
hidden link

Also, when I send items to myself through WPML, I still see an error that ATE synchronization failed if I click the link to see the queue. This doesn't seem to affect the translations into German and Spanish, though, which is good.

My testing today was limited to this one page -- the "KYT" page. I'm going to pause here due to the problem with the Japanese version of the page, but I can try other pages as needed.

January 25, 2024 at 3:10 pm #15226993

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Resaving this page hidden link fixes it. Could you check?

January 25, 2024 at 3:37 pm #15227109

Chainalysis

Hi Kor, a few things:

1. I thought that we should NOT edit and save translated pages because this will break the synchronization with the ATE. Is that true?

2. You implied that you changed some ACF settings a day ago to address some of the translation issues. What did you change? It's not clear to me what's different.

3. Once I know the ACF changes that you made, would it be okay for me to refresh this site and apply your changes again, and then see whether this fixes the translations? Because that Japanese page broke before you made any changes, I think that maybe I should refresh the site and try again.

January 25, 2024 at 3:46 pm #15227180

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

1. I thought that we should NOT edit and save translated pages because this will break the synchronization with the ATE. Is that true?
Correct, you shouldn't edit the translated page if you're using the Advanced Translation Editor. What I did just now is to re-publish the page since it wasn't published correctly due to some hidden issues or some server cache-related issue.

2. You implied that you changed some ACF settings a day ago to address some of the translation issues. What did you change? It's not clear to me what's different.
I didn't do anything. What I mentioned is "I can edit all the settings in ACF now" out of a sudden. I think there is possibly some server cache-related issue.

3. Once I know the ACF changes that you made, would it be okay for me to refresh this site and apply your changes again, and then see whether this fixes the translations? Because that Japanese page broke before you made any changes, I think that maybe I should refresh the site and try again.
The fix was to configure "ACF flexible field as "Copy"" and this should fix it. Our 2nd Tier Support tested this on a non-pantheon server and it works as intended. They suspected that the issue on your server is caused by server cache". Maybe you can find an option to disable it temporarily while we check on it?

January 26, 2024 at 9:42 pm #15231796

Chainalysis

Kor, thank you for continuing to look into the intermittent-yet-frequent translation sync problems, as well as the problems that occur 100% of the time.

You asked about caching, and you have the ability to toggle the cache-related plugins if you'd like to test them out, such as Object Cache Pro. But please let me know if you mean something else.

I've refreshed the site with the latest content and code if that helps.

It might also help to list out the remaining problems, so here are three (2) problems that persist:

1. If you try to translate a page, the WPML translation manager will often show a different translation status than the translations job list, which will also show a different status sometimes comes to the translation queue. And ultimately, some ACF fields will not be included in the translations even though the ACF translation settings seem to be correct.

For example, if you try to translate this page from English to Japanese, you'll see that some of the content remains in English.

hidden link

We can often recreate this problem, most of the time, but not 100% of the time.

2. Every time we make a test copy of the production site, we run into an error within the workflow that starts with "WPML detected a new address for this site."

As you'll see in the screenshots, WPML will ultimately show that the site was previously at X URL and it's now at X URL, but the URLs are the same, which doesn't make sense.

And then WPML will report that "There was an error checking for credits to share. Please take a screenshot of this message and report it to WPML support."

We can recreate this problem 100% of the time.

3. Every time that we use the WPML translation manager to send translations to people, we see an ATE synchronization error if we click on the link within this status message:

"You can check the status of these jobs in WPML -> Translation Jobs"

This is the error message that appears:

"The Advanced Editor jobs synchronization has failed"

I've attached screenshots of this error in case it helps.

Thank you for any help.

wpml-sync-error-2.png
wpml-sync-error-1.png
wpml-new-address-2.png
wpml-new-address-1.png
January 29, 2024 at 7:52 pm #15240404

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to answer your questions accordingly.

1. If you try to translate a page, the WPML translation manager will often show a different translation status than the translations job list, which will also show a different status sometimes comes to the translation queue. And ultimately, some ACF fields will not be included in the translations even though the ACF translation settings seem to be correct.

For example, if you try to translate this page from English to Japanese, you'll see that some of the content remains in English.

hidden link

We can often recreate this problem, most of the time, but not 100% of the time.

Yes, I'm able to replicate it too. I still believe this is related to your server cache or plugin cache. check out this screen recording hidden link;

2. Every time we make a test copy of the production site, we run into an error within the workflow that starts with "WPML detected a new address for this site."

As you'll see in the screenshots, WPML will ultimately show that the site was previously at X URL and it's now at X URL, but the URLs are the same, which doesn't make sense.

And then WPML will report that "There was an error checking for credits to share. Please take a screenshot of this message and report it to WPML support."

We can recreate this problem 100% of the time.

Our server will continuously monitor for potential conflicts with your account's sitekeys. If it detects any alterations in the URL, it will display a banner and require you to answer a set of questions before granting access to the translation management system once more.

3. Every time that we use the WPML translation manager to send translations to people, we see an ATE synchronization error if we click on the link within this status message:

"You can check the status of these jobs in WPML -> Translation Jobs"

This is the error message that appears:

Take note that when that happens, check the support logs here hidden link . It should tell you what went wrong and you can share the details with us here.

January 30, 2024 at 3:25 pm #15244997

Chainalysis

Thanks, Kor.

You wrote:

1. Yes, I'm able to replicate it too. I still believe this is related to your server cache or plugin cache. check out this screen recording hidden link

**This is a test copy of our production environment so feel free to deactivate any themes or plugins as needed to troubleshoot this issue, including any caching plugins that you've identified, such as Object Cache Pro.**

**Please also note that Pantheon includes mu-plugins, and in an older version of WPML, it seemed that WPML was incompatible with one of the mu-plugins. WPML then received a patch that solved the problem for a while, but we've been having problems again since newer versions of WPML 4.6.x. We can recreate the problems on a fairly stock Pantheon environment.**

2. Our server will continuously monitor for potential conflicts with your account's sitekeys. If it detects any alterations in the URL, it will display a banner and require you to answer a set of questions before granting access to the translation management system once more.

**Yes, and as you've seen there's a bug where WPML reports a change in the URL even though the URL has not changed.**

3. The Advanced Editor jobs synchronization has failed"
Take note that when that happens, check the support logs here hidden link . It should tell you what went wrong and you can share the details with us here.

**Thanks for flagging. When you recreated the problem most recently, did you see any details in the wpml-tm-ate-log that indicated what went wrong?**

January 31, 2024 at 8:27 am #15247757

Kor
Supporter

I appreciate your response.

I apologize if it seems like we're deviating from the main topic of this ticket. As you are aware, our support policy dictates that we address only one issue per ticket. This approach allows our support team to concentrate on one problem at a time, ensuring efficient resolution. Moreover, it aids other users in swiftly finding solutions to their inquiries.

I'll respond to your outstanding questions and, if necessary, initiate the ticket-splitting process for a more in-depth examination.

1. You made a reference to the situation where WPML initially received a patch that temporarily resolved the issue, but we've encountered problems again with newer versions of WPML 4.6.x on a relatively standard Pantheon environment. Could you please provide any documentation or references related to the patch that was applied in your Pantheon environment? If there is a support ticket associated with this matter, kindly share the ticket details. Additionally, if there are more relevant resources or references regarding this issue, I'll consider splitting the ticket for this specific problem.

2. It appears that this issue is likely connected to the one mentioned above (#1). Interestingly, it seems to be resolved when we repeatedly force-accept the options. Please note that this occurrence is unique to your server, as we haven't received any similar reports from other sources.

3. The log shows this "WPML has detected a change in your site's URL. To continue translating your site, go to your WordPress Dashboard and tell WPML if your site has been moved or copied." which is related to #2. Once we accepted the options in #2, the Advanced Translation Editor or Automatic translation works again.

February 1, 2024 at 3:34 pm #15255770
Chainalysis

Hi Kor, I don't see a search function within the WPML ticketing portal, and it might still be difficult to find the issues even if there were, but I can share that the ATE sync was working somewhat better back when we had WPML 4.6.3, and then WPML started to malfunction far more often after we upgraded to WPML 4.6.4, with its new URL detection feature.

Is the URL detection bug a cause of the ATE sync issues? I'm not sure.

I was able to find a few references to the 4.6.4 problems in email chains, if it helps, but I'm not sure that these tickets are directly relevant, other than mentions that WPML 4.6.4+ seems to work far worse on Pantheon envs ever since the new URL detection problems were introduced:

* https://wpml.org/forums/topic/this-site-has-moved-to-a-new-location-18/
* https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-chat-support-ticket-by-chainalysisc-1695130651/

If you truly believe that URL detection is completely unrelated to the ATE sync issues, then we can ignore the URL detection bug for now.

That said, the ATE sync error message seems directly related to the synchronization problems that we're having. This is the error message mentioned earlier:

I'm reattaching the error message screenshot for reference.

In regards to your request for more information about "the patch that was applied in your Pantheon environment", I mean that we were experiencing ATE sync problems in older versions of WPML, and then at some point, WPML released a new point release version of the WPML plugin, and this seemed to make things better for a while.

But I'm having difficulty in determining which WPML versions were working better than others, partly because the support site seems to lack a search function, and also because I don't know that we documented which WPML version fixed the majority of the sync issues.

I know that we needed to upgrade WPML past WPML 4.6.3 at one point even though I held off as long as I could, because we needed to upgrade WordPress core to version 6.3, and WPML 4.6.3 had known incompatibilities with WP 6.3.

Please let me know if this helps address your questions and concerns.

To get back to the main point of this ticket, we are still looking to get the frequent ATE sync issues solved, and we have an error message that we can recreate 100% of the time -- see attached screenshot -- even when we switch to a stock theme and deactivate all plugins except for the WPML plugins, ACF Pro, and the Pantheon mu-plugins.

New threads created by Kor and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-advanced-editor-jobs-synchronization-has-failed-9/

wpml-sync-error-2.png

The topic ‘[Closed] new translations fail to appear on a page’ is closed to new replies.