Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is experiencing an issue where some customized fields are not appearing in the WPML editor for translation. This problem is possibly related to the field size limitation in the database.
Solution:
We recommend increasing the field size in the database to accommodate larger data. You can do this by executing the following SQL command:

ALTER TABLE `wp_icl_translate`<br />CHANGE `field_type` `field_type` varchar(264) COLLATE 'utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci' NOT NULL AFTER `timestamp`;

Please ensure to replace `wp_icl_translate` with your actual table prefix and make a backup before applying this change. After updating the database, make a minor edit to the main language page to resynchronize the content.

If this solution does not resolve your issue or seems irrelevant due to updates or differences in your setup, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the problem persists, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.72 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kor 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
May 24, 2024 at 3:00 pm

Philip

Background of the issue:
I am working with customized fields on our website and have encountered an issue where some fields are not appearing in the WPML editor for translation. I have provided links to screenshots and the console error that might be related to the issue. Here are the relevant links: hidden link, hidden link, hidden link, hidden link, hidden link, hidden link

Symptoms:
Some customized fields are not visible in the WPML editor. There is a console error related to the WPML plugin at hidden link. The field structure is deeply nested and the field length is 288 characters.

Questions:
Can you check if the console error at hidden link is likely causing the issue with fields not appearing in the WPML editor?
Is it possible that the deep nesting or the length of the field structure is causing the fields to not appear in the WPML editor?

May 24, 2024 at 3:09 pm
May 27, 2024 at 5:51 pm #15675344

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thanks for your patience.

I apologize for the delay in response due to the weekends. Could you please recheck your credentials? I'm getting "Fehler: Der Benutzername wpmlsupport ist auf dieser Website nicht registriert. Falls Sie über Ihren Benutzernamen unsicher sind, versuchen Sie es stattdessen mit Ihrer E-Mail-Adresse.". It was working last week when I tested it.

May 28, 2024 at 3:48 pm #15679599

Philip

Please re-check access now, it should work.

Thank you, waiting for your feedback.

May 29, 2024 at 8:41 pm #15685397

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for getting back to me.

I've successfully accessed your website now, and I'm currently looking into the matter. I'll get back to you as soon as I have an update.

May 31, 2024 at 9:00 am #15691288

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for your patience.

Upon reviewing your website, I've encountered difficulty troubleshooting the issue because the field you're referring to is nested deeply within some field groups.

Could you please try replicating the issue on our sandbox site here: hidden link so that we can swiftly identify the problem and work towards a solution? I've installed the ACF plugin for your convenience.

May 31, 2024 at 11:48 am #15692091

Philip

Thanks Kor!

We have moved some settings to your sandbox.

Please see this post: hidden link

I see 2 issues so far.

As far as we can see, settings have not been copied to another language although it should (when we translate the post): hidden link
Could your team please check why it happens?

As for the 2nd issue (my initial request with missing fields in WPML editor) - we'll replicate structure shortly, it require us some time to build everything for you to show.

May 31, 2024 at 12:29 pm #15692243

Philip

Hi again Kor,

So we created a structure for you:
hidden link

2 test captions: hidden link

When we go to WPML editors, they are missing there:
hidden link

Please check.

June 3, 2024 at 6:38 pm #15698948

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

I can see the issue now. Please allow me to escalate this to our 2nd Tier Support for further investigation. I will get back to you once I've feedback.

June 12, 2024 at 6:52 am #15729537

Philip

Hi Kor!

Is there any information on this issue? We would like to work with the content but it prevents us from doing so.

Thank you very much!

June 12, 2024 at 7:13 am #15729617

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the delays. The report is still under review and our 2nd Tier Support is still checking on this. I will get back to you once I've feedback.

June 17, 2024 at 6:58 am #15743466

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for your patience.

I've received feedback from our 2nd Tier Support team, and here's what they suggested:

We have a workaround to address this issue by increasing the field size using the following SQL command:

ALTER TABLE `wp_icl_translate`
CHANGE `field_type` `field_type` varchar(264) COLLATE 'utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci' NOT NULL AFTER `timestamp`;

Please remember to adjust the table prefix to match your WordPress installation prefix. Also, it's important to advise making a backup before proceeding with this change.

After making this adjustment, the task should be completed and re-sent for translation, preferably after making a minor change to ensure everything functions correctly.

Alternatively, you can translate normally and then make edits using the Native Editor as a workaround.

June 19, 2024 at 8:34 am #15754019

Philip

Hi Kor,

Thanks.

We ran the query in our DB hidden link and checked both issues again however neither has been fixed.

We have a field hidden link which is missing in WPML editor hidden link

Also, we checked it in your environment hidden link and there we also have same issue:

hidden link
hidden link

Also, still empty here hidden link

Screenshot hidden link (checkbox settings have NOT been migrated to another language).

Please let me know?

June 20, 2024 at 6:50 am #15761482

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for responding.

I've updated the database on my sandbox site and made minor edits to the main page title at this link: hidden link

As seen in the attached screenshot, the custom field (test caption) is now available for translation. Have you made any minor edits to your main language page? This step is necessary for content resynchronization.

Login Link - hidden link

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 2.47.01 PM.png
June 20, 2024 at 8:34 am #15762100
Philip

Hi Kor,

Thank you.

For example, we have added here text of post hidden link but taxonomies (checkboxes) have NOT been copied into another language.

As for Captions - I confirm, it works now. We will check in our environment.

Can you check the issue with taxonomies?

Thank you!

New threads created by Kor and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/acf-repeater-fields-not-copying-to-translated-page/

Philip confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-06-20 12:31:46.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.