Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
1. The client wants to set the default language of the page based on the site visitor's location and is concerned about the SEO impact.
2. The client is facing an issue where the language reverts to English when buttons are clicked, even after selecting a different language.
3. The client is dissatisfied with the quality of automatic translations and is seeking a better alternative.
Solution:
For the second problem, it seems that the links on your page are not translated, which is why the language changes back to English when buttons are clicked. These links do not appear in the translation editor by default; you need to search for them manually. We have provided a detailed guide on how to translate links using the Advanced Translation Editor:

Please follow the steps in the guide, and if you encounter any issues or if this doesn't resolve your problem, we are here to provide further assistance.

If this solution doesn't look relevant to your situation, please open a new support ticket at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lucas Vidal de Andrade 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Lucas Vidal de Andrade.

Author Posts
December 21, 2023 at 7:43 pm #15113263

karleK

1. Is it possible to set default language on page based on site visitor location? For example if visitor in Estonia, my automatic language setting is Estonian. How does it affect my SEO?
2. How do I get my buttons to work with chosen language? At the moment when I choose russian for example, page goes russian. As soon as I press something, goes back to English which is my main language.
3. Is any other translator better than the default translator? Automatic translations are absolutely terrible. Everything has to be overdone manually. I've done about 4 pages now in one language and there's a lot more to do. And there's 4 other languages..

December 21, 2023 at 7:52 pm #15113301

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Regarding your second question, it might be because the links on your page aren't translated. They don't show in the translation editor by default, you have to search for them. Here's a detailed explanation on how to do that.

https://wpml.org/announcements/2020/02/translating-links-with-advanced-translation-editor/

Let me know if you need any assistance on how to do that. If that doesn't solve your issue, I'll be here to further support you.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.