Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
1. The client wants to set the default language of their page based on the site visitor's location and is concerned about the impact on SEO.
2. The client is experiencing issues with buttons on their site; when a language is selected, the buttons revert the page back to English instead of staying in the chosen language.
3. The client is dissatisfied with the quality of automatic translations and is inquiring about alternative translation options.
Solution:
Regarding the third problem about translation quality, we recommend using different translation engines that WPML offers. DeepL is used by default, but you can change this or even deactivate automatic translation if you prefer to translate content manually. For detailed instructions on how to change translation engines or deactivate automatic translation, please visit our documentation:

If this solution doesn't look relevant to your issue, please open a new support ticket in our WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lucas Vidal de Andrade 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Lucas Vidal de Andrade.

Author Posts
December 21, 2023 at 7:44 pm #15113265

karleK

1. Is it possible to set default language on page based on site visitor location? For example if visitor in Estonia, my automatic language setting is Estonian. How does it affect my SEO?
2. How do I get my buttons to work with chosen language? At the moment when I choose russian for example, page goes russian. As soon as I press something, goes back to English which is my main language.
3. Is any other translator better than the default translator? Automatic translations are absolutely terrible. Everything has to be overdone manually. I've done about 4 pages now in one language and there's a lot more to do. And there's 4 other languages..

December 21, 2023 at 7:57 pm #15113337

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Regarding your third question, about the translators. WPML offers different translations engines and uses DeepL by default. On this link, there's a detailed explanation on how to change them, or how to deactivate automatic translation, if you want to translate content by yoursel:

https://wpml.org/documentation/automatic-translation/how-to-change-automatic-translation-engines/

Please tell me if that answers your question.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.