Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Nicolas V. 5 days, 21 hours ago.

Assisted by: Bobby.

Author Posts
September 13, 2024 at 5:19 pm #16177182

sasoJ-2

Background of the issue:
I am trying to use WPML to translate media on my site hidden link. Media translation is enabled.

Symptoms:
Auto translate did not translate images. I have the same images on both lang.

Questions:
Why did the auto translate not translate images?

September 13, 2024 at 6:20 pm #16177424

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

Please review the following documentation if you are attempting to have different images per language:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

However, if you just need to translate the image caption, I believe that should have been included in the advanced translation editor.

Please do the following test:

1. Create a test page and add just a title and an image with a caption
2. Add the translation by clicking on the "+" icon and once it is finished (I assume it's an automatic translation) edit the translation to review it.

Do you see the media caption listed in the ATE editor?

September 14, 2024 at 5:53 pm #16178934

sasoJ-2

Hi,
I also had the images highlighted in automatic translation, but unfortunately the "image title" and "image description" were not translated. It is about 500 products with 4-5 pictures per product.
Please let me know how to fix it.
Thank you!
Hello,
Sasha

hidden link
for example, spread the image across the entire screen

media transl2.jpg
September 16, 2024 at 5:13 pm #16185083

Bobby
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed It is necessary to take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website. Providing us with access, you agree that a backup has been taken **

I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

September 18, 2024 at 7:09 pm #16195185

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details!

It looks like my username or pwd is not working at the moment, please review and update if needed.

You can directly edit the previous private reply and just reply here so I am notified once ready.

September 19, 2024 at 10:10 pm #16200861

Bobby
Supporter

For example, the title Dekorativna japonica is found in the ATE editor, but it relates to the Yoast Keyword rather than the media which is why the media is not translated.

If you go to WPML Media Translation I can see that the media has been translated to all languages, however, the content is from the default language.

- WPML -> media translation
- Locate the media and click to edit the translation in English
- Add the translation and save
- Update the default language page, which should also update the translations.

(You can do this in bulk by bulk selecting and then running a quick edit->update)

notice the warning "Any changes you make to the text here will not affect any previous publications of this media on your website. This edited version will only appear if you select it from the library to be embedded.

"

Screen Shot 2024-09-19 at 3.09.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-09-19 at 3.02.25 PM.png
September 20, 2024 at 6:37 pm #16203953

sasoJ-2

Thank you!
However, I used AUTO translation, now in three other languages, but the descriptions and titles of the images are not translated into any language.
How to translate automatically?
Hello, Sasha

September 20, 2024 at 8:20 pm #16204090

Bobby
Supporter

Hi there,

I have made a quick test using a page.

See here:
hidden link

The issue seems to be with the featured media.

-- If I add a media in the WP Editor the details of it are pulled into the Advanced Translation Editor which in turn is automatically translated.

However, the featured image is not.

The feature image is pulling it's translation from WPML->Media Translation.

If you go to WPML->Media Translation you can see that all media has a translation but if you review it's translation it's in the default language which is causing this issue.

You will need to manually "fix" these to use the actual translation. This part is not automatically translated. Do you remember adding these duplicate translations before? Or possibly somebody else in the team?

September 21, 2024 at 9:33 am #16204608

sasoJ-2

Hi,
Nobody did nothing manual.
Is there any possibity to automatic translate all priducucts images?
I Bellevue there is about 2000+ images for all languages.

Rad
Saso

September 23, 2024 at 5:43 pm #16211282

Bobby
Supporter

I was able to automatically translate the metadata of the featured image in the ATE by doing the following:

- Go to WPML->Settings->WPML Media-> activate "Translate media library texts with posts" (*done this for you already)

- Go to WPML->Translation Management->Filter by products

- Select "Dekorativna jadrnica PD 21×26,5×1,5cm"

- Translate automatically and send to translation (note you might want to select to overwrite the existing translations)

This will automatically translate the media texts.

I have tested it with this product and it worked well, I recommend you test it with 2-5 products to begin with.

NOTE: I only did the test in the EN language.
hidden link

September 24, 2024 at 7:50 pm #16217433

sasoJ-2

Hi,
Excellent, well done, the thing works in a test!
When I run all the products I get "504 Gateway Time-out".
What should I change?
Thank you and best regards!
Saso

September 25, 2024 at 11:28 am #16220130

Nicolas V.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hi Saso,

Bobby is unavailable today, so I'll provide a quick response. A 504 error is typically related to the server taking too long to answer.

Could you try again with fewer products, perhaps around 50 or 100 at a time?

Nico

September 25, 2024 at 9:04 pm #16222539

sasoJ-2

Hi,
thanks, it works!
Regards,
Saso

sasoJ-2 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-09-25 21:04:05.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.