Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How to translate WooCommerce emails?

Solution: When you change Users > Your Profile > WPML Language settings to the language you want to send emails when changing order status. If it's English it will send English emails. If you set it Chinese it will send Chinese emails (woocommerce already has these translated for most languages).

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 6.22 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Robert 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
October 31, 2016 at 4:00 am #1126103

Robert

Hi,

I have Chinese as only language on my website. I do use WPML, especially string translation for translating plugins and all.
When somebody orders from my site the woocommerce confirmation email is in Chinese. Only when I change order status in the woocommerce order status it sends out the email in English.
Now in woocommerce settings I was able to translate subject/header to Chinese, and this looks as follows: hidden link

Basically the problem is woocommerce tries to send out an English email when changing order status. Although when someone places an order it is fully Chinese.

I see 2 options here:
1. How do I get woocommerce to send out an Chinese email when changing order status?
2. How do I translate the email fields like "Subtotal, Product, Payment method"

Thank you!

Kind regards
Rob

October 31, 2016 at 6:41 pm #1126798

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

In order to translate the WooCommerce strings, you will need to go to WPML > Theme and plugin localization and make sure that "Translate the theme and plugins using WPML's String Translation" is selected. Then scroll down to the plugin section and scan WooCommerce for Strings. Once it is finished scanning, go to WPML -> String Translation and now you can translate the different strings into Chinese. If you don't see some of the strings, it may be because they are store in the wp_options table. If this is the case, you can go to WPML > String Translation and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the link "Translate texts in admin screens »". Then, scroll through that page and see if you find the the string. If so, tick the checkbox and click Apply to add it to the String Translation table. Now you can go back to WPML > String Translation and you should see the string added there.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.

November 1, 2016 at 7:30 am #1127038

Robert

Thank you Lauren
I just discovered that when you change Users>Your Profile>WPML Language settings to the language you want to send emails when changing order status. If it's English it will send English emails. If you set it Chinese it will send Chinese emails (woocommerce already has these translated for most languages). I don't have woocommerce multilanguage installed. Not necessary when using one language.
Hope this helps the next person with this issue 🙂