Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.20 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 17:00 10:00 – 17:00 10:00 – 17:00 10:00 – 17:00 10:00 – 17:00 -
- 18:00 – 19:00 18:00 – 19:00 18:00 – 19:00 18:00 – 19:00 18:00 – 19:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 42 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by coinQ 22 hours, 59 minutes ago.

Assisted by: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
August 27, 2024 at 12:54 pm #16110019

coinQ

Hello,

I hope this email finds you well.

We are currently experiencing performance issues on our website, particularly related to slow queries and large database tables associated with the WPML plugin. Below are the details of the large tables that seem to be causing the most significant impact:

wp_icl_translate: 1859.59 MB
wp_icl_translation_status: 1196.06 MB
wp_postmeta: 1095.48 MB
wp_posts: 570.16 MB
wp_icl_string_translations: 260.89 MB
Given that these tables are quite large, we believe they may be contributing to the overall slowness of our site. We would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide on how to optimize these tables and improve the performance of the queries related to the WPML plugin.

In our search for solutions, we came across the idea of analyzing slow SQL queries and selectively adding indexes to optimize performance. We would appreciate your advice on how best to approach this with WPML, including any specific indexing strategies that could be applied.

Please let us know if you have any recommendations or solutions for optimizing these database tables and queries. We are keen to implement the necessary changes to enhance our website's performance.

Thank you in advance for your support.

August 27, 2024 at 1:44 pm #16110348

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for the details.

Given the number of posts you have the tables sizes looks okay to me.

Is there any specific page where we can see this issue or are you talking about the whole site.

Have you tried disabling all non-WPML plugins, switching to one of the default themes on the site, and checking whether the performance issues are different?

Please remember to create a backup of your site (both files and the database) before making any updates or changes. This is always a good practice.

Can you also check the same on the stagings site so it will be easier for us to check this further.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

August 27, 2024 at 4:25 pm #16111366

coinQ

Hello Team,

Thank you for your response.

We are indeed addressing the performance of the entire website. Our server resources are being overutilized due to large MySQL queries and slow queries, as I previously mentioned.

To troubleshoot, we installed the Health Check & Troubleshooting plugin. When we disabled all plugins, the site loaded very quickly. Upon enabling all plugins except WPML and its related plugins, the website continued to load quickly. However, once the WPML plugins were enabled, the site slowed down noticeably both in terms of loading time and overall performance.

We also tried enabling only the WPML plugins while disabling all others, and again noticed significant slowness. This is the core issue we're experiencing.

Additionally, we're experiencing slowness within the WordPress dashboard, particularly when performing operations like creating, translating, and updating posts. Sometimes, updating or publishing posts fails, especially for lengthy articles in the "Price Prediction" category.

You can replicate these results on the staging site using the credentials I provided earlier. Please take a look and let us know your feedback.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
Coin Edition

August 27, 2024 at 5:06 pm #16111554

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I have disabled all plugins on your end and I am testing the speed while updating the posts here: hidden link, I see it takes around 5 seconds to update the post with just WPML and less then 1 seconds to update without WPML.

To debug this issue further, I would need to replicate the site on my localhost and test this, once I do this, I will pass this to our 2nd tiers.

Being so, can you provide me your database and wp-content backup, you can zip this files using some file sharing platform and share it with me. I have enabled the private reply for you.

Thanks

August 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
August 28, 2024 at 4:21 pm #16116288

coinQ

Hello,

Is anyone available to check this issue as soon as possible?

Please review it and provide your feedback.

Thank you.

August 29, 2024 at 8:43 am #16118555

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your patience as we work to assist you. We're doing our best to resolve your issue promptly. However, due to the nature of the performance issue, it will take some time to thoroughly debug.

I've downloaded the backup and will forward it to our second-tier team for further analysis.

Thank you for your understanding.

August 29, 2024 at 11:53 am #16119793

coinQ

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response and for keeping me updated on the progress.

I appreciate your efforts in thoroughly debugging the performance issue and forwarding the backup to your second-tier team for further analysis. I understand that these issues can take time to resolve, and I’m grateful for your continued assistance.

Please let me know if there’s anything further I can provide to help expedite the process.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
Coin Edition

August 30, 2024 at 4:23 am #16122744

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

The staging site login details are changed, can you update the new details in the next private reply.

Thanks

August 30, 2024 at 4:28 am
September 4, 2024 at 6:25 am #16138450

coinQ

Dear WPML Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well.

I am writing to follow up on the progress of our ongoing performance issue related to the WPML plugin. We understand that debugging such issues takes time, and we appreciate your efforts in addressing this matter. Could you please provide an update on the current status of your investigation?

Additionally, we have identified some errors related to the WPML plugin(11 instances), particularly with its REST API, which may be contributing to the performance issues we are experiencing. Below are the details for your reference:

Error Log Snippet:
[Tue Sep 03 11:31:47.501902 2024] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 2606133:tid 127777716045504] [client 162.158.62.205:47768] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Warning: Undefined array key 0 in /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/wpml-media-translation/classes/class-wpml-media-attachment-by-url-query.php on line 99...'

Additional Findings:
Plugin-Specific Issues (WPML): We have encountered multiple errors associated with the WPML plugin, especially with its REST API. A notable example is below:

162.158.154.97 - - [03/Sep/2024:04:37:16 +0000] "POST /wp-json/wpml/tm/v1/ate/jobs/retry HTTP/1.1" 500 3169 "hidden link" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/128.0.0.0 Safari/537.36"

We hope these insights are helpful in further analyzing the root cause of the performance issues. Please let us know if there are any additional steps we should take on our end or if you require more information.

We look forward to your feedback and appreciate your continued assistance.

Thank you once again for your support.

Best regards,
Coin Edition

September 4, 2024 at 11:15 am #16139954

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello!

Thank you for providing the details.

Our second-tier team is currently investigating the issue to identify the cause. I'll keep you informed and share updates as soon as I receive any feedback.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

September 5, 2024 at 7:11 am #16143301

coinQ

Hello Team,

I hope this message finds you well.

We are currently using WPML for 8+ languages on our website, relying heavily on your automatic translation engine. We spend thousands of dollars each month on these services, as WPML is a crucial part of our multilingual functionality.

Recently, As part of our ongoing efforts to resolve performance issues on our website, our server management team has identified that WPML is making frequent requests to Redis. These frequent cache accesses appear to be contributing to performance degradation, particularly involving high-volume read and write operations to the cache.

Key Issues:
Frequent Redis Requests by WPML: The high volume of cache accesses by WPML is overloading Redis, causing slowdowns and affecting the overall user experience.

Questions:
Compatibility with Redis Object Cache: Can you please confirm if Redis object cache is fully compatible with WPML? We want to ensure that there are no conflicts or known issues that might be contributing to these performance problems.

Scalability Concerns: Our website has over 55,000 posts across multiple languages. Can WPML handle this scale effectively when integrated with Redis, or are there any limitations we should be aware of?

Next Steps:
Optimization of WPML’s Interaction with Redis: Our team recommends optimizing WPML’s caching interactions to reduce the number of Redis calls or improve how caching is handled. We would greatly appreciate your guidance on specific optimizations, settings, or adjustments we can make to address this issue.

Given our significant investment in WPML’s services, we are eager to resolve these performance challenges. Your assistance in resolving the performance and Redis object cache issues would be highly valuable to us.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. We look forward to your prompt response.

Best regards,

Coin Edition

September 5, 2024 at 9:21 am #16143833

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

I will pass this info to our 2nd tier supporter.

September 6, 2024 at 6:45 pm #16150254

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

This is Andreas from Second Tier Support. Since my colleague Shekhar is on weekend, I would like to follow up with you in the meantime.

While I working on your staging site yesterday, I was blocked from making edits to the files on the server. This occured while I was editing the functions.php file. Even today I am still not able to connect by FTP and receive a "Access Denied" message.

Please restore the file, or the complete theme with a fresh copy from your live site, as the staging is currently experiencing an error that does not allow me to proceed testing.

If you could make sure to grant me server access, it would be great.

In case you need my public IP:

Please drop us a comment on this ticket, once the staging site is operational again.

In the meantime I will keep investgating the issue on a local copy of your site, which I created earlier.

Best regards
Andreas