This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by alessandro 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
May 10, 2019 at 8:43 am #3782345

alessandro

I have plenty of multilingual websites where I (the admin) am always the only one allowed to manage translations and insert translated contents, so I NEVER use a translation service.
For this reason I'm wondering if the plugin WPML Translation Management can be omitted.

This is important for me for two main reasons:
1. when I paste translated contents in the translation page I'd rather see the page structure instead of having just anonimous input fields.
2. sometimes the layout for a translated page should be different from the default language page

In detail, working WITHOUT the plugin seems to work perfectly (and maybe even better) even in sites where ACF is used (even with repeatable fields), but in case of WooCommerce there is an annoying warning that reminds me WPML Translation Management must be installed.

Is there any contraindication in not installing that plugin in contexts as described above?

Thank you very much

May 10, 2019 at 12:37 pm #3784317

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Alessandro,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

Our Translation Management Tool is not only to connect with external translation services; it’s also a useful tool if you translate the content of your site self. We use it also for various global functions such as our new Advanced Translation Editor with Translation Memory, Machine Translation over AI and many other features.

You can, of course, translate everything without the Add-On, but it depends on your used setup. Some Themes or Plugins/Page Builders require Translation Management to work well. WooCommerce is an example as you mentioned before. I would like to share with you the following reply from my colleague, where you will find some details about WooCommerce https://wpml.org/forums/topic/woocommerce-and-translation-management/?bbp_reply_to=1362061&_wpnonce=c5dec8aae6#new-post

I hope everything is clear now, if not please don’t hesitate to ask me 🙂
Best Marcel

May 10, 2019 at 12:48 pm #3784349

alessandro

Thanks Marcel, your answer is (unfortunately) very clear.
WPML is a spectacular plugin, but there is no way to choose whether or when to activate it is a huge point against it!

May 10, 2019 at 12:49 pm #3784355

alessandro

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!