Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was experiencing issues with translating image texts using WPML. The texts on the left side to be translated appeared in the same language as the target language, making translation from French to French impossible.
Solution:
We recommended checking if the WPML SEO add-on is installed by following the documentation at https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/. Additionally, we suggested troubleshooting steps that involved:
1. Ensuring the translation was marked as 'in progress' and then duplicating the content.
2. Navigating to WPML->Support->Troubleshooting.
3. Running several actions:

Clear WPML cache

synchronize local job ids with ATE ids

Synchronize translators and translation managers with ATE

Set language information

Cleanup and optimize string tables

These steps resolved the issue of incorrect language display in the Advanced Translation Editor (ATE).

If this solution does not apply to your case, or if it seems outdated, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If issues persist, please open a new support ticket at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.05 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 25 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Bobby.

Author Posts
July 8, 2024 at 8:16 pm #15915564

ronaldT-5

Background of the issue:
I am working on a site under development and trying to translate the synonyms using WPML.

Symptoms:
The synonyms are nowhere to be found, and I couldn't find a setting to add those.

Questions:
How can I translate the synonyms using WPML?
Where can I find the settings to add synonyms for translation?

July 8, 2024 at 8:51 pm #15915616

ronaldT-5

In the same vein, I do not see how I could translate the images ALT tags.

July 8, 2024 at 9:38 pm #15915716

ronaldT-5

Nor am I able to translate the button link URL or slug

July 8, 2024 at 9:54 pm #15915756

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

Please review the following documentation and verify WPML SEO add-on is installed.

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/

If everything is set up as expected and the add-on is installed ,please try the steps in this ticket's summary.
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/yoast-seo-premium-attributes-dont-show-for-translation/?resolved_description=published

Let me know your results, please.

July 8, 2024 at 11:39 pm #15915909

ronaldT-5

Okay, while doing string translations, I noticed some English texts on the left are actually in French.

July 9, 2024 at 9:01 pm #15923289

Bobby
Supporter

You can adjust those strings by selecting them and then clicking on the box "change language of selected strings" to assign to them the correct language.

See more information on how to do this here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/how-to-change-the-source-language-of-strings/

Let me know your results, please.

July 10, 2024 at 6:16 pm #15929737

ronaldT-5

Okay, see the attachment. I still have issues with translating related keywords and synonyms.

If I edit the original English page, then the related keywords need to be translated again. Why is that?

As for the synonyms, they vanish from the WPML Advanced Translation Editor. So, I can't verify whether or not they need to be translated again.

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 2.12.20 PM.jpg
July 10, 2024 at 6:20 pm #15929754

ronaldT-5

And now, I can't reach 100% even though every line has been translated (though I can't see the synonyms anywhere). There is no line with a black border anywhere. See the new attachment.

Forget about this issue as I was able to resolve it by exiting the Advanced Translation page and reentering it. Two steps forward, one step backward.

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 2.19.03 PM.jpg
July 10, 2024 at 6:42 pm #15929858

ronaldT-5

Okay, I got everything translated at 100%, then for the sake of testing again, I edited the original page one more time. And this time, WPML Advanced Translation Editor comprised all Yoast Related Keyphrases and Synonyms. Yeah! Bravo!

But now, all my image texts show up as not translated in WPML Advanced Translation Editor. Is someone out there trying to make me crazy or what? One step forward, two steps backward.

July 10, 2024 at 7:06 pm #15929925

ronaldT-5

Furhermore, comparing the English page with the French one, I see the English image texts on the former and the French image texts on the latter. So, everything is fine within Elementor.

But, looking at the entries within the Advanced Translation Editor where the image texts show as needing translation, I am noticing that the left side is showing the French translations instead of the original English image texts.

I suspect WPML is haunted by perhaps, a recently fired WPML employee???

July 10, 2024 at 7:45 pm #15930001

ronaldT-5

On an unrelated page, I noticed that the image texts were removed from the original English page. I contacted Elementor tech support, but now I realized that WPML might be the culprit in that matter as well.

If that's the case, everyone should STOP using WPML until this is resolved.

July 10, 2024 at 11:29 pm #15930508

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the updates!

I understand that can be quite frustrating.

As a few different things are being looked at here, for clarification purposes what is the current issue that way I can attempt to reproduce and debug from our side as well.

You mentioned you are missing image texts, what are your results if WPML is temporarily deactivated? Typically WPML would not affect your default language.

Also regarding the image texts, it is very likely since they never displayed before in ATE that they are now being registered and require translation.

That can happen if the content was not originally registered correctly.

Are you able to reproduce this behavior on a newly created test page?

July 11, 2024 at 12:40 am #15930671

ronaldT-5

<What is the current issue?>

Right now, I'm trying to translate image texts, but the left side texts to be translated is in the same language as the target language, for whatever reason. I cannot translate from French to French.

>You mentioned you are missing image texts, what are your results if WPML is temporarily deactivated? Typically WPML would not affect your default language.<

Do you mean to say, if I deactivate WPML if the image texts would come back on their own? If so, since I recreated those missing texts, I'd have to wait if and until it happens again.

>Also regarding the image texts, it is very likely since they never displayed before in ATE that they are now being registered and require translation.<

Hmmm, the opposite, they showed up initially and were translated. It's only on my last attempt to make a small change in the original page that all of a sudden they needed translation, but this time with the left texts being in the WRONG language.

>That can happen if the content was not originally registered correctly.<

Not registered how?

>Are you able to reproduce this behavior on a newly created test page?<

I doubt it, but I could try, I guess.

But, how to fix the current issue with the original image texts being in the wrong language in ATE while the original English page shows the images with English texts?

July 11, 2024 at 12:45 am #15930682

ronaldT-5

See the attachment. It's on the hidden link page.

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 8.45.32 PM.jpg
July 11, 2024 at 1:51 pm #15935665

ronaldT-5

I got the current issue fixed. Never mind, the issue is back.

I tried another, unrelated, page. I'm having similar issues there too. I noticed some missing image texts and even an image missing from the media library. Anyhow, I fixed those. After that, going into WPML Editor, there was nothing to change. But, the issues persisted on the translated page. So, I made a small change on the original English page, and tried WPML translation editor. Now, I have image texts that appear in French on the left instead of the original English text to be translated. What a mess!

ronaldT-5 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-07-28 20:57:28.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.