Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client needed to change links in a translated page and was unsure whether to use the WordPress editor or another method. They also inquired about the potential issues of editing the translated page with the WordPress editor and how to set the advanced editor after using automatic translation.
Solution:
We advised the client to manually translate the links using the Advanced Translation Editor. To do this, they should first switch off "Automatic Translation" and select "Translate what you choose" mode. Then, navigate to the primary language page and initiate the translation. In the Advanced Translation Editor, they should type "HTTP" into the search box to locate the links that need translation. For further guidance, we provided a link to a video tutorial on how to translate links: Translating Links with Advanced Translation Editor.

Please note that this solution might be outdated or not applicable to your specific case. We highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the issue persists, please open a new support ticket at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Kor 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
June 18, 2024 at 3:31 pm #15749867

marcoM-189

Background of the issue:
I need to change links in a translated page on my site hidden link.

Symptoms:
I am unsure if I should edit the translated page with the WordPress editor or if that might cause issues.

Questions:
Do I have to edit the translated page with the WordPress editor to change links?
Will editing the translated page with the WordPress editor cause any issues?

June 18, 2024 at 4:44 pm #15750297

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Before your ticket is assigned to one of my colleagues, please allow me to walk you through some initial debugging steps. This will help speed up the support process.

If you translated the page through the translation editor, you need to change the link there. If you translated it without our editor, directly in the WordPress editor, you can change it directly by clicking the "pencil" icon.

Which method did you use?

Please let me know.

Best regards,
Marcel

June 19, 2024 at 8:57 am #15754236

marcoM-189

i used automatic translation,i have the other 2 home page in eng and spanish and there is a link in the page content pointng to a defauls lang page.... must modify to allow the link to pont to a the correspondent language page

June 20, 2024 at 6:42 am #15761387

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thanks for your reply.

Links must be translated manually as explained here https://wpml.org/announcements/2020/02/translating-links-with-advanced-translation-editor/ . Could you follow the steps shown in the video and see if it helps? Let me know how it goes.

June 20, 2024 at 7:00 am #15761584

marcoM-189

Actually i do not need to translate the link, i need to change the link, the default language has a button with a link to a specific page.

In the other 2 languages the link must be different as it must link to different pages for each translated page

June 20, 2024 at 9:31 am #15762459

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Translating the link is the correct way to change the links on the translated page. For example. hidden link on English page and you translate it to hidden link for the Dutch language page.

If you still don't have a clue what I'm referring to, please let me know and I will provide some more examples for you.

June 20, 2024 at 10:53 am #15763036

marcoM-189

ok but where to translate.?..if i open a page i can see the possibility to see translation and in editor i do not see links to translate but only the label

June 20, 2024 at 10:57 am #15763039

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

In the Advanced Translation Editor, could you please type "HTTP" into the search box as shown in the attached screenshot and see if the link shows up?

You can refer to the screen recording here too https://wpml.org/zh-hans/announcements/2020/02/translating-links-with-advanced-translation-editor/

Screenshot_262.png
June 20, 2024 at 2:56 pm #15764855

marcoM-189

Sorry how to set the advanced editor ? i made automatic translation ......do i have to change this option in wpml settings first?

June 20, 2024 at 3:14 pm #15764940

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for your response. To proceed, switch off "Automatic Translation" by selecting the "Translate what you choose" mode. Then, navigate to the primary language page and initiate the translation. In the "Advanced Translation Editor," locate "HTTP" as illustrated in the attached screenshot.

Screenshot_262.png
Screenshot_260.png
June 20, 2024 at 3:47 pm #15765264

marcoM-189

ok after a while i have been able to solve this issue, thank you
Stefano

marcoM-189 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-06-20 15:47:32.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.