Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

1. When ATE is syncing the translation, the layout goes off-screen if there are many custom fields.

2. icl_background_task table causing performance issues.

Solution:

1. This issue has been escalated to our developers and will be fixed in future versions of WPML.

2. This issue has also been escalated to our developers, and we have a workaround for it. Please check the following errata page.

https://wpml.org/errata/wpml-causing-backend-slowness-and-duplicated-queries/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Itamar.

Author Posts
December 20, 2023 at 3:04 pm #15103913

Chainalysis

Hello, would it be feasible to add progress indicators to the top of the ATE status menu? Right now, we often can't see whether WPML is stalled, or how much progress it's made when it processes a large list of changes.

(I don't know where there are so many changes -- we only changed a few fields on a page that doesn't have existing translations.)

More specifically, the "wp-admin-bar-ate-status-bar" element fails to display the status fields most of the time. These status fields are the "wpml-notification-progress-bar" and "wpml-notification-description-subtitle" elements.

Please see the attached screenshot to see the problem.

We use WPML and ACFML, the latter to handle ACF field translations.

This issue makes it difficult for us to know when new fields are fully ready for translation and when it's safe to sync new changes, and the sync process can take hours at a time, because it seems to pause when nobody is actively monitoring it from within the admin dashboard.

If we try to sync additional ACF fields while this process is underway, our site can sometimes crash with 5xx errors due to heavy resource utilization, so we try to wait for this process to be done.

But this UX problem makes it difficult to know whether the process is stalled, which happens sometimes,

December 25, 2023 at 9:41 am #15125935

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

I'll continue to help you with this case.

I'm consulting our second-tier supporters about what you brought up. We would also like to check the problem on your site.

If you need further help with this, please share the access details to your site with me.
I'm enabling a private message for the following reply.

Privacy and Security Policy
We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/
**IMPORTANT**
- - Please backup the site files and database before providing us access. --
-- If you have a staging site where the problem can be reproduced, it is better to share access to the staging site.--

Regards,
Itamar.

January 2, 2024 at 10:09 am #15142663

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

I have further information about your case.

1. About the progress indicators.

Our project manager informed me that there should be a progress indicator. However, if there are too many files, it might overflow, and you may not see the progress bar. We are aware of this problem, and it will be fixed in the next version of WPML.

2. Besides the above, our project manager suspects that you might be encountering the following problem on your site.

https://wpml.org/errata/wpml-causing-backend-slowness-and-duplicated-queries/

Please check the above link, and if necessary, apply the suggested workaround.

Please let me know if you need further help with this issue.

Regards,
Itamar.

January 2, 2024 at 8:15 pm #15144713

Chainalysis

Thank you, Itamar. I look forward to the progress indicator overflow fix in the next version of WPML.

I followed the steps that you shared, and I did see 10+ entries in the `icl_background_task` table all with a `task_status` of 3, going back to October 2023, so I truncated the table as instructed.

I'm still seeing a problem with WPML getting "stuck" often when I send translations, but I have a separate ticket for that -- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/new-translations-fail-to-appear-on-a-page/ -- so I'll continue to work in that ticket.

Thank you for your help.

Chainalysis confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-01-02 20:15:04.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.