Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is trying to include superscripts for correct legal translations in WPML, but the Advanced Translation Editor (ATE) changes it to a normal "o". When using

<sup>o</sup>

, ATE does not allow saving and deletes the character completely.
Solution:
We informed the client that the ATE does not support the direct insertion of HTML characters unless they are included in the source text. We have an existing feature request for the ability to add or remove HTML markup in the ATE, and we have added this ticket to that request for internal tracking.
Currently, the only way to add HTML into translations is through the Classic Translation Editor, which allows for the addition of HTML tags. For more information on the Classic Translation Editor, please refer to the following guide:

As an alternative, we suggested using the Degree Symbol (°) in the ATE to achieve the desired representation in the translation.

If this solution is not relevant to your case, because it might be outdated or not applicable, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please do not hesitate to open a new support ticket. You can reach our support forum here: WPML Support Forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Prosenjit Barman 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
February 6, 2024 at 12:15 pm #15271588

aske-schouN

I am trying to include the superscripts for a correct legal translations but wpml changes it to a normal "o" and when I use <sup>o</sup> then it doesnt allow a save and afterwards deletes the character completely. See the images for an illustration of the issues.

Skærmbillede 2024-02-06 kl. 13.14.23.png
Skærmbillede 2024-02-06 kl. 13.13.50.png
February 7, 2024 at 7:43 am #15274741

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,
Thanks for contacting WPML Support.

If you have used HTML to format any text content, it's essential to do the same formatting within the WPML Translation Editor to ensure the translated version maintains the same formatting. Otherwise, the formatting will be missing in the translated content.

To understand how you can do the HTML formatting in the Translation editor, please check this guide: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/#html-markers

Given that you've applied the Superscript tag for text formatting, I've checked by adding the "sup" tag on a page, and I can confirm that this formatting is accurately showing on the translated page. For a clearer understanding, please check this video: hidden link

I hope you can understand. Please feel free to let me know if the suggestion above helps or if you need further assistance in this matter. I will be happy to help.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

February 7, 2024 at 7:55 am #15274829

aske-schouN

Hi Prosenjit! thank you for your reply. My case is a bit different, because the original case doesnt have the superscript - only the portuguese translation of the english case needs this to use the correct legal formatting in that specific language. So, the original english version is normal letters, but the translation only will have superscript. This is the issue I am having, as this seems to be buggy according to original ticket. How to do this? Kind regards, Aske

February 8, 2024 at 4:01 am #15279514

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello Aske,
Thank you so much for the clarification.

I understand your requirement, but unfortunately, the Advanced Translation Editor does not support the direct insertion of HTML characters unless they are included in the source text.

Please note that there is an existing feature request for the ability to add or remove HTML markup in the ATE, which has been forwarded to our ATE development team for consideration. I will ensure this ticket is added with that feature request for internal tracking purposes.

Currently, the only possible way to add HTML into translations is through the Classic Translation Editor. In this editor, paragraphs are presented with a text editor interface, allowing for the addition of HTML tags. For further information on the Classic Translation Editor, please refer to the following guide.

- https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/

Alternatively, you can use the Degree Symbol (°) in the Advanced Translation Editor to achieve the desired representation in the translation.

I hope you can understand. Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else you need help with. I will be happy to assist.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

February 12, 2024 at 12:10 pm #15293062

aske-schouN

Awesome, thanks. The degree symbol is fine. I didnt even know they were not the same. it works!

Kind regards,

aske-schouN confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-02-12 12:10:43.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.