Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is experiencing heavy server load when running the 'Translate Link Targets' feature in WPML and is looking for a way to control or stop the process to prevent server overload.

Solution:
We understand that the 'Translate Link Targets' feature can be resource-intensive. Currently, there is no direct way to adjust the speed of this process. To better handle the load, we recommend optimizing server settings such as PHP memory limit, max execution time, and database query limits, ensuring they are within the limits allowed by your hosting provider.

To stop the link scanning process, you can refresh the WPML Settings page. This will halt the process, and any links processed before the refresh will remain updated. If the process continues to run in the background after refreshing the page, we would appreciate it if you could provide details on how to replicate the issue and information about the tools used to monitor the background process.

We acknowledge that a feature to control the 'Translate Link Targets' process could be beneficial and will consider it for future updates. If you find that the solution provided here is not relevant to your case, possibly because it's outdated, or if you need further assistance, we highly recommend checking related known issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the issue persists, please open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Prosenjit Barman 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
April 18, 2024 at 2:36 pm #15539640

andreyK-12

Hello!
When I run Translate Link Targets, I get a heavy server load. Is there any way to adjust the speed of scanning and accessing the server?

April 19, 2024 at 7:58 am #15542170

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hi There,
Thanks for contacting WPML Support.

I understand the issue you're having. The 'Translate link-targets' process is resource-intensive as it scans all links in your posts, pages, and other content types to update URLs so they point to the correct language version.

The duration of the process depends on the number of posts, pages, and products you have on your site. Currently, there is no direct way to adjust the speed of this process. However, you can optimize your server settings, such as the PHP memory limit, max execution time, and database query limits, to better handle the load. Make sure that these adjustments are within the limits allowed by your hosting provider. Apart from this, I'm sorry to say, there are no other methods or approaches available at this time to reduce server load or speed up the process.

I hope you can understand. If you encounter any error during the process or need assistance with any other feature of WPML, please feel free to let me know. I will be happy to help.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

April 19, 2024 at 8:59 am #15542420

andreyK-12

Hello!
Ok, I got it. Could you please tell me how you can stop the link scanning process if it starts overloading the server. Perhaps there is some command or other ways?

April 22, 2024 at 4:53 am #15547961

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,
I hope you're doing well. Sorry for the delay in responding due to the weekend.

Although there isn't a direct way to stop the link scanning process, refreshing the WPML Settings page does the trick. Once you refresh, the button to refresh the page will reappear. Any links within the posts or pages that were processed before the refresh will stay updated.

Feel free to let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

April 22, 2024 at 1:04 pm #15550601

andreyK-12

Hello!

There was an experience where the settings page was closed and the scanning continued and our site went down.

It seems to me that this process should definitely be controlled. And at least there should be a button to stop scanning.

April 23, 2024 at 5:17 am #15553484

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,
Thank you for the update.

I tested the "Translate Link Targets" feature in a completely new environment with some posts, but I couldn't detect any background process when I refreshed the settings page after initiating the scan. Additionally, I checked the WPML database table that logs background processes initiated by WPML and did not find any records there either.

Although the process stops when the page is refreshed, adding a feature to control this process could be a valuable feature request. I'll investigate its use case further and pass the information on to the relevant team for more detailed evaluation.

For now, if you notice that the process continues to run in the background even after refreshing the page, please share details on how to replicate the issue. Could you also provide information about the tools you used to monitor the background process or explain in detail how you discovered this? This will help us better understand and address the problem.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

April 23, 2024 at 12:00 pm #15555789

andreyK-12

Hello!

For now, I have no further need to start the link translation process. Therefore, I will not be able to give more detailed information.

Thank you for hearing my request. I hope to see a function to cancel and control the link scanning process when this feature is needed

andreyK-12 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-04-23 12:00:34.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.