Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 12:00 – 14:00 -
- 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 17:00 – 21:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 1 day ago.

Assisted by: Bigul.

Author Posts
September 27, 2024 at 3:03 pm #16230424

nikolaosM

Background of the issue:
I have checked the option Use directory for default language and followed your guide to achieve this https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/directory-default-language/#redirect-the-root-domain-to-the-default-language-directory. I have followed this step by step and we did not face any problems since today. The only thing I have not made is changing the page template to the redirect one because it is causing problems with the page design. This is the language settings hidden link.

Symptoms:
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Questions:
How to solve it

September 30, 2024 at 10:00 am #16235336

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Vienna (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

Please try the workaround suggested in our chat last week after a full site backup and let us know your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

October 1, 2024 at 8:26 am #16238968

nikolaosM

Hello,

Here is some facts I did not provide when we started our conversation.

First of all this is the site URL settings page hidden link. And this are the settings in the WPML -> Languages section hidden link. We want this settings to have /el in all default language pages. After just saving the settings in the permalinks section, without making any changes, the issue was resolved. We have not made any root page, have not setted the home page template to be the redirect one that you have in your documentation and we have not tried what you suggested because it will cause more redirects and the page will take much longer to load.

We do not have activated any cache system, nor made any changes in the .htaccess file or added snippets in functions.php.

This is the default language home page URL: hidden link

As you can understand when someone presses the default site URL he gets redirected to the Greek homepage. It seams to work now and pretty fast but we can not locate the cause of the problem with ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS. Is wpml redirecting the site base URL to the Greek homepage?
As you can understand we can not save the permalinks settings every time there is a problem. We need a solution as soon as possible.

Thanks!

October 1, 2024 at 3:42 pm #16241728

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. Please fill in the private details fields after a full site backup{mandatory}. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Refer to the following links for more details about our private information-sharing policies.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

hidden link

--
Thanks!

Bigul

October 3, 2024 at 7:00 am #16248030

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the login information. I am checking with our team for an expert opinion on this. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul