Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.46 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mateus Getulio 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Mateus Getulio.

Author Posts
August 9, 2024 at 11:32 am

jeroenv-67

Background of the issue:
My hosting company says we have problems with slow PHP logs which are coming from WPML. Can you help me look into that? The site I need help with is hidden link

Symptoms:
Slow PHP logs

Questions:
Can you help me look into the slow PHP logs issue?

August 9, 2024 at 11:45 am
August 11, 2024 at 1:56 pm #16059466

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello there,

I performed some tests in the local copy of your site and I was able to improve the performance considerably by following some steps.

I recommend that you create a test/staging version of the site where you can test it before implementing in the live site. Or that you make a full backup prior to proceeding to those steps, just in case.

From the steps bellow, please check the ones that are feasible to implement:

- Update all the WPML plugins, there are a few updates available that contain patches related to performance
- Update all plugins/themes in general and WordPress version to 6.6.1
- Disable the WP Query monitor while not debugging performance issues, keeping it always enabled can be costly
- Lower the weight of the page size in MB. Compress media (EWWW Image Optimizer or similar), minimize the media quantity through the pages
- Go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting (link). Once on the troubleshooting screen press the following buttons:
Press each button at a time and wait for the process to complete.
'Cleanup and optimize string tables'
'Clear the cache in WPML'
'Remove ghost entries from the translation tables'
'Fix element_type collation'
'Fix terms count'
'Fix post type assignment for translations'
- If possible try to have only one security and one cache plugin in place, having multiple of them can also cause slowness
- Update to PHP 8.0, 8.1 or 8.2 versions

On top of those steps, I also checked that your options with the autoload enabled are consuming a lot of memory every time the site loads. Please check more about the autoload here: hidden link

If you run the following SQL query, you'll see the options that are consuming more resources:

SELECT option_id, option_name, sum(char_length(`option_value`))/1024 as size FROM `wp_options` WHERE `autoload` = 'yes' GROUP BY option_id ORDER BY size DESC;

Based on this thread, you can set icl_sitepress_settings to be not 'autoloaded', that should help giving a performance boost:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/urgent-icl_sitepress_settings-is-510803-in-length-causing-website-down-time/page/2/#post-13552369

You can disable it with the following command:

update wp_options set autoload = 'not' where option_name = 'icl_sitepress_settings';

But there are a few other plugins consuming lots of resources that you need to check if you can either disable the plugin, change some settings to decrease the autoload consumption or disable the autoload for them, but this needs to be done on a plugin-by-plugin basis as we're talking about 3rd party plugins we don't support and don't fully know how they operate.

The options: wpseo_taxonomy_meta wcml_trbl_products_needs_fix_postmeta and channel_project are the ones in the top, but there are others you'll be able to see when running the select query above.

Thank you, please give it a try and let us know how it goes.
Mateus

August 11, 2024 at 3:18 pm #16059622

jeroenv-67

Thank you, we are working on the PHP update.
This table: wcml_trbl_products_needs_fix_postmeta is related to WPML right?

What to do with this as you say its to big.

August 12, 2024 at 7:36 pm #16063661

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello there,

You're correct.

I checked here that is safe to disable the autoload for wcml_trbl_products_needs_fix_postmeta as well.

Please go ahead with the steps and tell me the results.

The topic ‘[Closed] Slow PHP logs’ is closed to new replies.