Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 11.29 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrey 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Assisted by: Andrey.

Author Posts
September 2, 2024 at 8:33 pm #16133487

alexandreL-36

Background of the issue:
Hello, my language switcher on my website when I hover my mouse on another language on PC and Mobile, the other languages disappear so I can't select other languages. I try to apply CSS to counter the comportment of my language switcher but is not working perfectly. /* Conteneur du sélecteur de langue*/ .lang-item { margin: 0 10px; } /* Style par défaut du lien de langue */ .lang-item a { color: #000; /* couleur du texte */ background-color: #fff; /* couleur d'arrière-plan */ padding: 5px 10px; /* padding */ text-decoration: none; /* supprime tout soulignement */ } .wpml-ls-current-language { font-family: 'Montserrat'; } .wpml-ls-last-item { margin-right: 10px; } nav ul[class*="menu"] li.wpml-ls-menu-item ul.sub-menu, nav ul[class*="menu"] li.wpml-ls-menu-item ul.sub-menu li a { width: auto; min-width: 100px!important; } .wpml-ls-legacy-dropdown .wpml-ls-sub-menu { width: 325px; } /* Style du lien de langue lorsqu'il est survolé */ .lang-item a:hover { color: #fff; /* couleur du texte */ background-color: #000; /* couleur d'arrière-plan */ text-decoration: none; /* supprime tout soulignement */ } /* Style du lien de langue actif */ .lang-item .current-lang a { color: #fff; /* couleur du texte */ background-color: #000; /* couleur d'arrière-plan */ } /* Largeur spécifique du sous-menu dans le contexte legacy-dropdown */ .wpml-ls-legacy-dropdown .wpml-ls-sub-menu { width: 325px; visibility:visible; /* visibility: hidden; Supprimé pour éviter les problèmes de disparition */ } /* Assurez-vous que le sous-menu est masqué par défaut */ .wpml-ls-sub-menu { position: absolute !important; top: 100% !important; left: 0 !important; z-index: 1000 !important; } /* Affiche le sous-menu lorsque le curseur est sur l'élément parent */ .wpml-ls-item-toggle:hover .wpml-ls-sub-menu, .wpml-ls-item-toggle:focus-within .wpml-ls-sub-menu, .wpml-ls-item-toggle:active .wpml-ls-sub-menu, .wpml-ls-item-toggle:focus .wpml-ls-sub-menu { display: block !important; } /* Maintient l'affichage du sous-menu lorsque le curseur est sur le sous-menu lui-même */ .wpml-ls-sub-menu:hover, .wpml-ls-sub-menu:focus-within { display: block !important; } /* Gère l'apparition en douceur */ .wpml-ls-sub-menu { transition: opacity 0.2s ease-in-out; opacity: 0; } /* Transition en douceur lorsque le sous-menu est affiché */ .wpml-ls-item-toggle:hover .wpml-ls-sub-menu, .wpml-ls-item-toggle:focus-within .wpml-ls-sub-menu, .wpml-ls-item-toggle:active .wpml-ls-sub-menu, .wpml-ls-item-toggle:focus .wpml-ls-sub-menu, .wpml-ls-sub-menu:hover, .wpml-ls-sub-menu:focus-within { display: block !important; opacity: 1; } Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

Symptoms:
The language switcher disappears when I hover over another language on both PC and Mobile, making it impossible to select other languages.

Questions:
Why does the language switcher disappear when I hover over another language?
How can I fix the CSS to ensure the language switcher works correctly?

September 2, 2024 at 10:12 pm #16133555

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kyiv (GMT+03:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

In order to pinpoint the exact issue with the current language switcher, we would need to debug your code, which falls outside the scope of the support we provide here.

However, I can suggest that you take a look at our articles here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/custom-language-switcher/custom-language-switcher/

September 3, 2024 at 12:14 pm #16135558

alexandreL-36

Hello Andrey,

We have the same problem without my CSS Code.

The language switcher have an issue without the CSS customization.

I will need support!

Thanks!

September 3, 2024 at 12:40 pm #16135670

Andrey
Supporter

Thank you for your feedback.

How did you add your language switcher? Please explain in detail. It could be that your theme styles somehow affect it.

What are the results if you add it to the menu from WPML → Languages? Does it work properly if you temporarily add it to the footer?

September 3, 2024 at 1:29 pm #16135915

alexandreL-36

Hello,

I test with the shortcode, the Elementor widget and with the Footer Language switcher and I have the same problem.

Thanks!

September 3, 2024 at 2:22 pm #16136163

Andrey
Supporter

Can you please display the issue shown in the screenshots? Testing it on the desktop seems to work fine.

For mobile, you added the language switcher as a shortcode, as far as I can see, and it appeared as a dropdown. Since mobile devices don't have a hover functionality, it's expected that you cannot open it. Have you attempted to add it to the mobile menu?

September 3, 2024 at 2:41 pm #16136270

alexandreL-36

Hello Andrey,

I want the same behaviour as the language switcher of apple.com

hidden link

Now the behaviour of the WPML language switcher is not smooth and fluid.

Is it possible to refer to us a link where we can implement the same language switcher as apple.com by our side please ?

Thanks!

September 4, 2024 at 9:24 am #16139345

Andrey
Supporter

Thank you for your feedback. When you add the language switcher in WPML → Languages, you should get the same behavior as shown in the screencast. I have also tested this further and made a screencast for you: hidden link.

Here's how you can add the switcher: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/#add-a-language-switcher-to-a-menu-footer-or-widget.

If the behavior is still not as expected, it could be that your theme styles interfere with the language switcher. You can verify this by temporarily changing the theme to any default theme. If this is the case, you will need to apply custom styles to achieve the behavior you need.

As an idea, perhaps a floating language switcher would be a helpful solution for you. You can see what it looks like and how to implement it here: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/custom-language-switcher/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.