Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
You are trying to update the German text via the WPML tool after updating the English text, but the German text reverts to the updated English text after clicking 'translation complete'.
Solution:
We recommend following these steps to ensure the German text updates correctly:
1) Open the page in the original language.
2) Add an extra letter to the page's title, update it, then remove the changes and update the page again.
3) This action should trigger the page translation and show that it needs to be completed.
4) Open the translation editor, confirm the translation for some fields, and complete the translation.

If this solution does not resolve your issue, or if it seems outdated or irrelevant to your case, please check related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verify the version of the permanent fix, and confirm that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. We highly recommend opening a new support ticket if the problem persists. You can do so at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrey 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Andrey.

Author Posts
June 18, 2024 at 2:13 pm #15749442

bartd-26

Background of the issue:
I am trying to update the German text via the WPML tool after updating the English (main language) text. Here is the link to the page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

Symptoms:
I expected to see an updated version of the German text after clicking 'translation complete', but instead, I got the German page with the updated English text.

Questions:
Why is the German text reverting back to the updated English text after clicking 'translation complete'?
Is there a specific setting or step I am missing in the WPML tool to ensure the German text updates correctly?

June 18, 2024 at 8:08 pm #15750840

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kyiv (GMT+03:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Could you kindly provide a step-by-step process with screenshots? This way, I can observe and comprehend the issue more effectively.

You might be using an outdated WPML plugins. Make sure to update your WPML plugin to the latest version 4.6.11 and add-ons to benefit from the latest bug fixes and improvements. This may not necessarily resolve your problem; however, in order to troubleshoot the issue best, we need to work on the latest code available.

You can check the latest released versions under "My Account -> Downloads" on this site.

Remember to back up your database before you proceed.

June 19, 2024 at 6:37 am #15753161

bartd-26

Hi Andrey,

Hereby the screenshots of the process. Please note that this doesn't happen to all pages, only certain ones (can't pinpoint exactly what makes the difference).

I've made a screenshot of the English page > editing the German translations in WPML > the 'updated' German page (with the English text) > the revisions of the German page.

All WPML plugins are up to date.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 08.33.36.png
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 08.32.55.png
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 08.32.39.png
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 08.32.16.png
June 19, 2024 at 1:01 pm #15755884

Andrey
Supporter

Thanks for sharing the screenshots.

Could you let me know what you see on the front end of that page? Are you able to identify the issue?

The WPML translation editor does not synchronize translations with the WordPress editor, so you might not see the correct changes when checking the revision.

June 20, 2024 at 9:11 am #15762351

bartd-26

You see the same changes on the front-end of the page. So first the German text and after the 'update' you see the English text.

We cannot identify the issue - we're hoping you could help us out 🙂

June 20, 2024 at 10:33 am #15762862

Andrey
Supporter

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site – preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible – in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

June 20, 2024 at 3:18 pm #15764987

Andrey
Supporter

Thank you for the information.

I took a look at the following example /wp-admin/post.php?post=35&action=edit&lang=en and didn't see any issues.

Here's what I've done:

1) I made slight modifications to the original page and saved it.
2) Then, I went to the translations editor, translated the content, and completed the process.
3) The translated page looks good to me.

Please let me know if there's anything else I should be doing.

Screen Shot 2024-06-20 at 18.19.13.png
Das-leben-in-St-Moritz-Kulm-Hotel-St-Moritz-im-Engadin-–-5-Sterne-Superior-Wellness-Restaurants-Wintertraum.png
June 21, 2024 at 8:00 am #15772156

bartd-26

Thanks for checking and of course when you do so, the issue doesn't come up in our test environment anymore... It however still happens on our production environment.

[removed]

June 24, 2024 at 2:16 pm #15808108

Andrey
Supporter

Could you please check it now? It seems to be okay with that page now.

I triggered the page translation and did the following:

1) Opened the page in the original language at wp-admin/post.php?post=2051&action=edit&lang=en.

2) Added an extra letter to the page's title, updated it, removed the changes, and updated the page again.

3) The page translation was triggered and showed that it needs to be completed.

4) I opened the translation editor, confirmed the translation for some fields, and completed the translation.

June 26, 2024 at 9:51 am #15832199

bartd-26

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for checking. May I ask what you fixed or changed?
The issue seems to be resolved - but we would like to fix it ourselves if it happens again 🙂

Thanks!

June 26, 2024 at 7:57 pm #15837018

Andrey
Supporter

I used only the steps I shared above, and that's it. 🙂 If you observe the same issue, you can try doing the same with another page. Have a nice week.

bartd-26 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-06-26 09:51:36.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.