Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jakobM-3 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Andrey.

Author Posts
September 12, 2024 at 6:11 pm #16173168

jakobM-3

Background of the issue:
I am trying to do manual translation in Firefox. As soon as I click on the field where the translated text can be typed, I get a crashed blank white page. I cannot restore the page, I have to start from scratch again, going back to the queue and opening the job anew. Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

Symptoms:
In the console, I see the following error: DOMException: CSSStyleSheet.cssRules getter: Not allowed to access cross-origin stylesheet. Instead of being able to add translation in Firefox, I got a crashed blank page.

Questions:
Why does the page crash when I try to do manual translation in Firefox?
How can I fix the DOMException error related to cross-origin stylesheet?

September 12, 2024 at 7:19 pm #16173361

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kyiv (GMT+03:00)

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble. I just ran a few tests with Firefox, and everything seems to be working fine on my end. Could you please upload a few screenshots showing the problem you're experiencing?

Are you using the latest version of Firefox? I would recommend clearing your browser cache. Have you also checked if the same issue occurs when using a different browser?

September 12, 2024 at 7:50 pm #16173375

jakobM-3

Thanks for testing it on your end.

I will provide a short video that shows the behavior, I think i works better than a screenshot of a white page. You can download the video here: hidden link

Regarding the clarifications:
- I'm using Firefox 130.0 (64-bit), the Snap build for Ubuntu
- I tried with cleared browser cache, in the video I used a fresh private window to rule out no weird cache or cookies in my browser session are involved.
- Yes, I tried in Brave and it works just fine for the exact same translations.

Let me know if I can provide more info to help you help me.

September 12, 2024 at 8:14 pm #16173410

Andrey
Supporter

Thank you for your feedback.

That is very strange. Would the same issue occur if you temporarily deactivate all the plugins except WPML? Also, please enable WordPress debugging and check if there is anything in the debug.log during the white screen.

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

To enable the error logging to a file on the server, you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

The errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Please make sure to test with any default theme if possible.

Let me know what you see after the debug mode has been enabled.

September 16, 2024 at 8:40 am #16182127

jakobM-3

I've tried debugging as much as I can but I'm afraid I can't find anything useful.

- I changed to the Twenty Twenty-Four theme instead of Ziri
- I deactivated all plugins except "WPML Multilingual CMS"
- I tried with just a simple page, rather than template parts

With debug logs enables, I first saw a few deprecation notices:

[16-Sep-2024 08:32:21 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Automatic conversion of false to array is deprecated in /services/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/wpml-sticky-links/classes/class-wpml-sticky-links.php on line 19
[16-Sep-2024 08:32:21 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property wpml_cms_nav_cache::$name is deprecated in /services/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/wpml-cms-nav/inc/cache.class.php on line 36
[16-Sep-2024 08:32:21 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property wpml_cms_nav_cache::$cache_to_option is deprecated in /services/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/wpml-cms-nav/inc/cache.class.php on line 37

But then, when all plugins except the base one were deactivated, I saw nothing. Hence, following all your instructions, I don't see anything wrong on my website.

I also fail to see how this would be related to my wordpress install, since the error happens while I'm on your website (hidden link) and it only happens with Firefox. As far as I can tell, it almost has to be a compatibility issue of that site's JavaScript with Firefox.

September 16, 2024 at 11:55 am #16183489

Andrey
Supporter

Thank you for your feedback.

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site—preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible—in order to be of better help. When you log in to leave your next reply, you will find the needed fields below the comment area. The information you will enter is private, meaning only you and I can see and access it.

September 16, 2024 at 1:09 pm #16184088

Andrey
Supporter

Thank you for the provided access.

I have tested the problem, but I cannot replicate it. I am using the latest Firefox on a Mac. I will share the screencast in the following private reply.

September 16, 2024 at 2:14 pm #16184375

jakobM-3

Thank you for trying it and the screencast. I just tried it on two other devices, too. It works on my Macbook, too. It even works on a different Linux distro using Firefox. It has to be something specific to my Firefox instance / settings that somehow is not reset by a private window.

Oh well, I still can't get it work on my main browser of my workstation but I can easily work around it with a different browser. I guess it's not worth investigating it further but thank you for your time to pin down where the issue is.

September 16, 2024 at 2:16 pm #16184393

jakobM-3

Thanks for the quick and competent support! Will mark as resolved now.

jakobM-3 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-09-16 14:16:05.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.