Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client experienced an issue where 40,000+ duplicate images were created due to a hiccup, and after removing unused media, including media from translations, all media on translated pages went missing. The client is looking for a way to 'recycle' or 'retranslate' the media so that it works on the translated pages as it does on the non-translated pages.
Solution:
We recommend the following steps to address the issue:
1. If you have a backup from before these database changes were made, utilize it to restore the missing entries.
2. If no backup is available, follow these steps:

1. Create a full website backup.<br />2. Complete all translations marked as "update needed" in the Translation Editor by clicking "Complete." This will restore the missing images.<br />3. For pages/products created in secondary languages, manually restore the images in the page editor.

We always advise having a backup before making any changes to prevent such issues.

If this solution does not resolve your issue or seems outdated, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If further assistance is needed, please open a new support ticket at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 25 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Lucas Vidal de Andrade 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Lucas Vidal de Andrade.

Author Posts
June 26, 2024 at 1:49 pm

tannerT

Background of the issue:
We previously had our website completely translated; although this caused 40,000+ duplicate images due to some hiccup

All pages are already translated

We have removed all unused media including the media from the translations. Now, media is missing on all translated pages.

How can we recycle the media for all of these pages so that it is translated properly? We try to "retranslate" the page, but it shows that the page is already fully translated

Symptoms:
Images missing on all translated pages (because we removed all of those images translations from DB due to an issue)

Questions:
Looking to "ReCycle" or "ReTranslate" the images corresponding to each translated page or quite simply, get the images to work again on our translated pages like they do on our non translated pages

June 26, 2024 at 3:39 pm
June 26, 2024 at 3:42 pm #15835648

tannerT

Just following up that yes this must be resolve and YES this is absolutely critical

June 26, 2024 at 7:33 pm #15836891

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hey there,

I checked your issue further, got a second opinion with my colleagues, and in this situation, there's no quick fix (outside sending everything for automatic translation).

Please make a full website backup and, go to WPML > Settings > Media Translation, select the "Set language information for existing media" and "Duplicate existing media for translated content" and click on "Start". Please do this just once.

That will duplicate the media for translated content, which is expected. Let me know if after doing that, the translations go back to normal.

June 26, 2024 at 7:57 pm #15837020

tannerT

Note we did already find a solution from retranslating the pages with ATE; would just need a Credit Bypass (I know in API Creds this would be minimal so would be courteous). Anyway, as requested:

1.) Snapshot is Recorded Prior to this Action in AWS
2.) Clicked Start and got" loading Setting language to media. 265 left. Waited until "loading Setting language to media: done!" (Took about 20 seconds)
3.) I checked the List of Broken Image URLs I sent in our previous chat:

[HOME] STILL DEAD: hidden link

STILL DEAD: hidden link

STILL DEAD: hidden link

Simply we need to "ReTranslate" ALL Pages and Overwrite the Links Only (which honestly should not have cost 300 credits for that experimental page anyway and is quite concerning in itself and should be addressed)

June 26, 2024 at 8:07 pm #15837046

tannerT

NOTE: We did not fully "Set Up" the "WPML Media Translation" plugin prior to clicking Start (as we were not informed to do so).

I have just clicked "Set Up" and that took about 5 minutes to go from 0 -> 100%

Not sure if we need to click Start Again.

Rest Assured we have daily backups... so the floor is yours to resolve this. You have my permission to do what is required to fix the problem that is clearly observered

Thank you <3

June 27, 2024 at 6:21 pm #15846024

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hey there,

Unfortunately, I could not find any way to bulk restore the images. That happens because the entries were deleted from the DB, so we have no prepared solution for that, as this is not recommended. I've tried multiple solutions directly on your website and didn't get to any result.

I'm getting a second opinion with our devs. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear from them. Thank you.

June 27, 2024 at 7:31 pm #15846333

tannerT

Thank you, again the image deletion from the DB was not just a "not recommended" action, but a required action due to your agents recommendations to click "Start" multiple times on translations. Note, we had over 100,000 images in every single language; uploading an image would be duplicatede 4+ times, and many other image issues.

We are thrilled to be at a grand reset, and have purged the mess coming from over 450,000 images to just 5,000

Now, we simply need to cycle them throughout our pages

June 28, 2024 at 3:41 pm #15853082

tannerT

I currently have 2 open tickets (so this may not have been you)

But whatever was tried just through our site into a CRITICAL ERROR [I have restored this mornings backup]

July 1, 2024 at 12:18 pm #15868484

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

I got a second opinion and, in this case, the translations will have to be manually reset. Whenever you find a page with a missing image, you'll need to make a small change to the original content, save and update the translations, so the image gets restored.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but since the entries were manually deleted, they'll have to be manually restored.

Regards,
Lucas Vidal.

July 1, 2024 at 2:05 pm #15869123

tannerT

Hi Lucas, I think you are misunderstanding the idea that these were deleted AS DIRECTED by a WPML agent due to the MASS DUPLICATION issue that YOUR PLUGIN CAUSED by clicking START in the Translate Media section of WPML > Settings.

To reiterate 2 concepts:

1.] This is critically urgent as every image of every language is missing; we are not interested in "debating" the concept via 48 hour wait times between every message. If you would like to get someone on the phone to figure this out quicker and/or email me personally please do so and we can keep this from escalating to potential legal departments

2.] We are not interested in FUNDING the credits to RESTORE the issue that WPML a.) CAUSED and b.) RECOMMENDED.

In highlight, the actions taken that caused the original mass duplication of 100,000 images in every single language were directed by your support team.

In highly v2, the actions taken to delete these images were highlighted directly by your support team.

We can open a case on all credits ever spent internally with our Credit Card and/or our Legal Department although are simply requesting due diligence and recognition on WPML part to not "send us off" with a "you're out of luck" message after becoming the culprit of poor suggestions.

Let's make this the final week for resolution; or we will need to take further action

Our Request: Bring back our images at no cost to us (if you give us the credits, we will invest the labor and hours to do so)

July 1, 2024 at 3:39 pm #15869689

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

I understand your frustration. Please note that, outside of weekends, we answer in a 24-hour timeframe. We don't offer phone calls.

I'm doing my best so you don't have to manually restore the translations. There's still one last thing I'd like to test on your website, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to access it. The wp-admin page is blank. I tried in different browsers. Can you please verify it for me?

Besides that, can you please send me the exact messages:
1. Where you were instructed to multiple times click on "Start", in Media Translation (or other instruction, if it fits here).
"the actions taken that caused the original mass duplication of 100,000 images in every single language were directed by your support team."

2. Where you were instructed to manually delete the entries for the DB.
"In highly v2, the actions taken to delete these images were highlighted directly by your support team."

This way, we have more arguments and I can move forward, to a solution. I greatly appreciate your patience and cooperation.

July 1, 2024 at 11:55 pm #15870905

tannerT

Hi Lucas, feel free to crawl through our previous LONG list of issues and misinformed guidance in previous help requests for your "arguments moving forward"

WP Admin works just fine; clear cache if needed

July 2, 2024 at 3:40 pm #15876701

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hello,

I found this ticket, which seems to be related to the issue:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-created-40000-post-ids-for-the-same-image/page/2/
Here, there were no instructions to delete anything from the DB.

Here, I found a message from support saying that it's NOT necessary to delete entries from the DB:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/media-translation-does-not-seem-to-be-working/page/2

I'm doing my best to help you solve this issue with as little effort as possible on your side, as I understand your frustration. It would really speed things up for you, if you could share the exact message or at least point which was the ticket where you received the instructions you mentioned. This way, I can review the entire workflow and avoid asking things that were already asked before.

As for the access, I wasn't able to log in due to 2FA issues. Check the image attached. Can you please verify it for me?

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 11.27.17.jpg
July 3, 2024 at 1:34 pm #15884923

tannerT

2FA is unlocked

I will await your step by step procedure and/or chargeback our WPML purchase due to unfulfilled promises with negligent support.

On standby

tannerT confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-07-17 13:37:17.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.