Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 - - 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Yerevan (GMT+04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christopher Amirian 1 day, 4 hours ago.

Assisted by: Christopher Amirian.

Author Posts
June 29, 2024 at 9:59 am #15857411

greenY

Background of the issue:
I am trying to translate the contents in the Footnotes block on my pages using ATE, similar to how I translate the whole page contents. I love the Footnotes block because it's one of the native blocks that can be used on posts and pages. I also plan to use it more on new posts in the future and need it to be translatable on ATE. I haven't tried to translate a post that includes footnotes yet, but I hope it won't be a problem on either pages or posts. Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

Symptoms:
The contents in the Footnotes block of WP can't be found to be translated on ATE.

Questions:
Why can't the contents in the Footnotes block be found for translation on ATE?
How can I ensure that the Footnotes block contents are translatable on ATE for both pages and posts?

June 29, 2024 at 3:15 pm #15858273

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Yerevan (GMT+04:00)

Hi there,

Thank you for the information. I managed to replicate the issue on my installation.

I reported this to the second-tier support.

After that, the issue will considered by the development team and if fixed it will be available in the upcoming releases.

I will inform you here if there is any news.

Thanks.

July 1, 2024 at 8:27 am #15866593

greenY

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for managing and following it up.
I'm not sure if it belongs to a bug or improvement report. Meanwhile, I'm afraid there is a suitable enough method currently to handle this kind of translation no matter whether by using String Translation or Plugin/Theme Translations.

Can you advise me on how can I try to complete the translations of the footnotes on a a page/post in a temporary way?

Looking forward to the conclusion and solution!
Thanks,
Green

July 2, 2024 at 12:51 pm #15875348

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi Green,

Our awesome second-tier support provided a solution:

- Go to WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Settings > Custom Fields Translation.
- Search for "footnote" and set it as "Translate". (check the screenshot)
- Click the blue save button.
- Go to the page containing the footnote.
- Do a change on the original language to force the need for a translation update.
- Go to the Advanced Translation Editor.
- You will see a search bar at the top. Search for the content of the Footnote and you will find it.
- Make sure you copy the whole code as is, and only change the text inside.

Example:

For a code like this:

[{"content":"Christopher
Hello there!
General Kenobi!","id":"10def6f4-bf19-4e47-860e-aa9bfe4af89e"}]

You need to have a translation like this:

[{"content":"Christopher translated
Hello there! translated
General Kenobi! translated","id":"10def6f4-bf19-4e47-860e-aa9bfe4af89e"}]

For more information on how to search content inside Advanced Translation Editor:

https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-translate-urls-shortcodes-and-html-attributes-using-the-advanced-translation-editor/

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 16.44.53.png
July 2, 2024 at 2:45 pm #15876411

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi there,

We have an errata about that which you can use to even avoid the code and get the proper text for translation:

https://wpml.org/errata/wordpress-footnotes-block-not-translatable/

Thanks.

July 2, 2024 at 5:01 pm #15877303

greenY

Hi Christopher,

I just found there's a typo on the title of this topic - The contents in the Footnotes block of WP can be translated on ATE. - It should be "can't" as the same sentence in the context, I hope it doesn't bother you too much if it could be corrected.

Thank you for providing me with two solutions, I have tried the 2nd and the simple one.
There are several statuses of certain pages/posts on the list of "Translations queue" under WPML -> Translation turned into "Completed - Needs update" after I applied the solution. I don't know if it is a coincidence.

The page I asked with this issue has been translated successfully: hidden link
I also completed updating the translations of a few of those pages/posts that show "Needs update" without footnotes on them.

However, the ATE doesn't allow me to complete the translations of each footnote field. Please see the attached screenshot with marks in red "Custom field of Footnotes (on a post) - Job not finished - Save and complete the translation of all sentences, then finish the job"
The link to the article: hidden link

I also tried to translate the field in the ATE with different content, but the fields still turn orange from green, so the ATE still notices that I have to save and complete the translations.

Thanks,
Green

Customfield of Footnotes (on a post) - Job not finished - Save and complete the translation of all sentences, then finish the job.png
July 3, 2024 at 7:56 am #15881740

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi there,

By clicking the green tick button on the options that have orange it should turn to green and you can then click the complete button.

Thanks.

July 3, 2024 at 8:39 am #15882358

greenY

Hi Christopher,

I have tried to do the same regular operations I can do therefore I replied this situation. I've tried it again, it seems to work this time, but there's still something weird.

Please see the uploaded recording video: hidden link
I don't know why it didn't work (turn from orange to green) till I clicked the Save Translations when the popup appeared. The popup didn't appear last time, and the fields don't work if there's no popup I can click Save.

I'm not sure if this issue has been solved because I don't know if the whole process is regularly working fine or not.

Thanks,
Green

July 4, 2024 at 12:41 pm #15891895

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi Green,

After clicking the tick button you need to wait for a few seconds for the orange middle line to turn into green.

And then click the other tick button. That way you will make sure all the items are in green.

From the video, I see that you quickly click them and the Javascript code does not get time to complete the process and it goes to the paragraph after the orange one which causes the orange one to still be orange.

If you do the process a little bit slower it will work with no issues.

Thanks