Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
You are using Gravity Forms User Registration with conditional logic based on country, and you've encountered issues where countries in conditional logic aren't recognized when encoded in French. Additionally, email notifications are only partially translated, with the subject being translated but the rest remaining in English.
Solution:
We recommend removing the language files responsible for translating the country names in Gravity Forms. Specifically, delete the

gravityforms-fr_FR.mo

file located in

public/wp-content/languages/plugins/

. This action will prevent the automatic translation of country names, allowing you to manually set them up as needed in French. After removing these files, you may need to retranslate some strings using WPML's string translation tool. Please ensure to back up your site before making these changes.

If this solution does not resolve your issue or seems outdated, or if it does not apply to your specific case, we highly recommend opening a new support ticket. Additionally, please check related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verify the version of the permanent fix, and confirm that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. For further assistance, you can also visit our support forum at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kor 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
June 25, 2024 at 4:07 pm

jonathanH-37

Background of the issue:
I use Gravity Forms User Registration with conditional logic based on country. It seems that countries in conditional logic aren't recognized when encoded in French. I looked for all the strings with countries to translate them but it is not working. For example, when I use France as country it is fine since France in EN and France in FR is the same. But if I used Belgique in my drop down in FR, then I think it is not recognized as Belgium. I also translate string from email notification but only the subject is well translated and the rest remains in English when the form is used in FR.

Symptoms:
Countries in conditional logic aren't recognized when encoded in French. Email notification translations are incomplete, with only the subject being translated and the rest remaining in English.

Questions:
Can you help with the issue where countries in conditional logic aren't recognized when encoded in French?
Why are email notifications only partially translated, with the subject being translated but the rest remaining in English?

June 25, 2024 at 5:16 pm
June 26, 2024 at 6:45 pm #15836712

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thank you for your patience.

Upon review, I believe I have a solution to prevent the address from being translated. We need to remove the appropriate language files located in wp-content/languages.

I've conducted testing at this link: hidden link and successfully displayed the English countries here: hidden link

Could you please provide FTP access details for backup purposes? This will allow me to proceed with removing the language files responsible for translating the country names.

June 27, 2024 at 11:57 am
June 27, 2024 at 11:58 am #15843665

jonathanH-37

Here the URL : stg-newwholesalebehomecom-staging.kinsta.cloud

June 27, 2024 at 6:25 pm
July 1, 2024 at 7:29 am #15866190

jonathanH-37

This sould be ok now. Can you confirm?

July 1, 2024 at 9:55 am #15867523

jonathanH-37

Hi,
I really need an update on this, we need to launch our FR website and I'm still stuck in this..

Thank you in advance

July 1, 2024 at 10:01 am #15867540

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

I apologize for the delay due to the weekend. I'm checking your Website now and I will revert back to you as quickly as possible.

July 1, 2024 at 5:24 pm #15870042

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

You can check now hidden link the country is displaying the English language which is what you're looking for. However, some other strings reverted to English and you'll have to retranslate it again using the string translation.

I have removed the gravityforms-fr_FR.mo file from public/wp-content/languages/plugins/gravityforms-fr_FR.mo

July 2, 2024 at 10:18 am #15874347

jonathanH-37

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and help.
Can you describe me the exact procedure so I can replicate in production.

When you say : "However, some other strings reverted to English and you'll have to retranslate it again using the string translation."

How much is "some"?

And about :
I have removed the gravityforms-fr_FR.mo file from public/wp-content/languages/plugins/gravityforms-fr_FR.mo"

What are the consequences?

Thank you for your answer.
Best Regards,

July 2, 2024 at 1:44 pm #15875951

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for contacting us.

Typically, Gravity Forms and other third-party plugins include translation files for popular languages. If we remove the language files "gravityforms-fr_FR.mo" from "public/wp-content/languages/plugins/" folder, it will remove translations for Gravity Forms default strings like countries, etc.

However, we can still utilize WPML string translation to re-translate these strings if required. Please check your forms to see how many default strings are affected by this change.

Also, let me know if you're able to get the condition working after removing the country translations.

Furthermore, please always backup before you proceed.

July 2, 2024 at 3:35 pm #15876638
jonathanH-37

Thanks a lot for your help.
I have another question regarding product translation.

How can I translate products I added in English and duplicate images?
for now when I launch a product translation I need to add the images after the translation.
I know there is an option about medias but it wasn't clear for Me.

Can you help on this?

Thank you

New threads created by Kor and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/product-image-missing-on-translated-product/

July 2, 2024 at 3:39 pm #15876699

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Glad that helped. I've split the ticket here https://wpml.org/forums/topic/product-image-missing-on-translated-product/ so that we could follow up with your new question.

As for this ticket, please mark it as resolved.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.