Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.57 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kor 2 days, 23 hours ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
September 6, 2024 at 1:52 pm #16149203

garikN

Background of the issue:
I am working on a site under development and encountering an issue with WPML. I am using the Woodmart theme.

Symptoms:
There is a problem with the String Translation table in your site. This problem is not causing a problem running the site right now, but can become a critical issue in the future. WPML support team knows how to fix it. Also, the translated strings do not show in frontend in Woodmart theme.

Questions:
Could you help me to fix the issue with the String Translation table?
Why are the translated strings not showing in the frontend in the Woodmart theme?

September 6, 2024 at 4:16 pm #16149721

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thanks for reaching us.

That error message usually indicates that a column or index is missing from the icl_strings table in your database.

I will need to closely examine your website. Therefore, I will require temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to a test site where the problem has been replicated, if possible. This will enable me to provide better assistance and determine if any configurations need to be modified.

Please note that it is important to have a backup for security purposes and to prevent any potential data loss. You can use the UpdraftPlus plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) to fulfill your backup requirements.

Your upcoming reply will be treated with confidentiality and will only be visible to you and me.

✙ To resolve the issue, I may need your consent to deactivate and reactivate plugins and the theme, as well as make configuration changes on the site if necessary. This emphasizes the significance of having a backup.

September 6, 2024 at 5:12 pm #16149975

garikN

Hello, Kor!

I am developing the client's website locally, and as it is a e-commerce website I cannot provide full access to you! It contains Orders and private data.

However I am a php WordPress and MySQL developer and with your assistance we can manage to fix the issue remotely. I suggest you to provide me steps to configure or fix the issue. I understand that it is a bit of hard work for you, but please understand my point...

Thank you in advance!

September 6, 2024 at 5:32 pm #16150021

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for your response.

You can resolve this issue on your own by following these steps: First, make sure to back up your site. Then, set up a local test site, install WPML and String Translation, and check the local site's database.

Look for the icl_strings table in the database and compare its columns or indexes with those on the production site. If you find any discrepancies or missing elements, correct them and let me know if this resolves the issue.

September 6, 2024 at 6:18 pm #16150103

garikN

Hello,

I am uploading the two tables comparison the old one is live site table, the new one is from new WPML installation.

Let me know how you suggest to fix the issue.

Thank you!

new_database_1.png
old_database.png
September 6, 2024 at 6:21 pm #16150132

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

I can see differences(missing columns and indexes) in your attached screenshot. Have you corrected it?

Once you corrected it, check your Website backend to see if this notification "There is a problem with the String Translation table in your site." still shows up.

September 6, 2024 at 6:35 pm #16150196

garikN

We have 24,456 rows in strings table, when I am trying to alter the table structure I a getting this error

Out of range value for column 'columns' at row 167

I can truncate the table and alter its structure. I believe WPML will give us extra credits for auto translating this many rows again.

Thank you!

September 6, 2024 at 6:40 pm #16150228

garikN

Doesn't WPML have appropriate script to upgrade old versions database to last version?

September 6, 2024 at 6:41 pm #16150232

garikN

Also our main concern is not this error, the problem is that translated strings do not show in frontend, in woodmart theme.

September 6, 2024 at 6:43 pm #16150234

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for your response.

Please make sure to back up the website before making any changes, as I previously advised. I'm not sure what is causing the error you're encountering. Also, if you're using the Advanced Translation Editor for automatic translations, your translations should be saved in the translation memory. You can learn more about this process https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

This means that if you retranslate the same content, you won’t incur additional translation credits. However, we do not offer refunds for charged credits since we have already paid for the translations on our end.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide an SQL script without confirming the issue. Could you provide a copy of the site? You can follow the instructions https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/ to remove your client’s data and payment information. Once we have the copy, we’ll examine it and advise you on how to resolve the issue.

September 6, 2024 at 6:45 pm #16150255

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

We might be looking in the wrong direction. But it would be best if you could provide a copy of the site and also, tell me which string cannot be translated.

September 6, 2024 at 6:51 pm #16150258

garikN

I can provide the site copy in .wpress file format, you can use All in One WP Migrate plugin to restore the copy into bare WordPress, is it Okay? Also this link does not contain any relevant information, it redirects to other page: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

September 6, 2024 at 6:56 pm #16150266

garikN

What other plugin do you suggest to use to provide you the site copy

September 6, 2024 at 6:57 pm #16150310

garikN

I am unable to translate these strings

non-translatable.png
September 6, 2024 at 7:17 pm #16150369

garikN

I have truncated the old strings table and added missing columns and indexes, however the error remains. Let me know what to do next.

Thank you!