Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have just installed the Media Translation plugin which I was not going to use. However, I found that there are 2-3 images on my website where I would like to upload a separate version of the image file so for each language translation.

Solution: The WPML Media plugin is not gonna duplicate the images. We understand that there's no point in having the same image for each language (and use a lot of server space for no reason). You can go ahead and add the replacement just for the images that you need.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/#media-translation-settings

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by davidN-51 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
February 22, 2020 at 5:50 pm #5546965

davidN-51

Hello,

I have just installed the Media Translation plugin which I was not going to use. However I found that there are 2-3 images on my website where I would like to upload a separate version of the image file so for each language translation. Here are my questions:

1. In your instruction on how to use "Media Transaltion" you say that we should go to WPML -> Translation Management and select the media we want to use for replacement images. Then we go to WPML -> Media Translation and find the image files we want for replacements. However why do I need to do the first step. Why can't I go straight to WPML -> Media Translation and find the media files?

2. As I only need to have replacement images for 2-3 images on my site, I want to make sure that your plugin is in no way duplicating all the 1000's of images I have on the site automatically. I'm pretty sure I read that WPML does not duplicate any images, but with installing the Media Translation plugin I would like to check this.

Thanks 🙂

February 25, 2020 at 3:39 am #5558833

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey David,

1. There's no need to go to WPML → Translation Management. If you just want to add an image translation, just simply go to WPML → Media translation and add the image translation.

2. The WPML Media plugin is not gonna duplicate the images. We understand that there's no point in having the same image for each language (and use a lot of server space for no reason). You can go ahead and add the replacement for the images that you want.

Thanks,
    Radu

February 25, 2020 at 10:40 am #5561433

davidN-51

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!