This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
June 15, 2019 at 11:57 am #4027023

benC-19

I am trying to:

have separate images appear for spanish, english, german, french

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link

I expected to see:

Seperate images as uploaded in the media translation page - (image attached)

I am very frustrated as I have looked at the instructions on the page:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

which I have found very very confusing - (the fact that there are screenshots of the backend of wordpress as examples of translation images just confuses the matter further - and also the fact that the term 'duplicated' images is used when referring to 'referenced' images adds to the confusion - I have read and re-read info and am getting more and more confused)

I have followed the procedure and 'nothing' is working correctly ?
I have a link where only 'one' of the image actually translates:

here, the 'french' translation of the image actually 'does' work - but not the others:
hidden link

I have no idea what i did differently on that occasion compared to the others.

In my actual site, I am using a page builder which further complicates the issue - I think I will have to use a work around in that instance, but I can't even get the basic translation working.

on my test pages I have 'only' images to simplify and 'not' use the page builder, and I am using very simple test-images ( hidden link )

I am glad to have found WPML as it solves so many issues re: translation, but I am beginning to despair trying to get this to work - the documentation is not clear at all...

I'm including screen shots of the media translation page that show the separate images I have uploaded.

Also you can see that the 'save media translation' button seems 'greyed out' - even though it works as a button?

I have deadlines and spent many hours trying to figure this out - is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

urgent help needed - thanks

June 16, 2019 at 3:54 pm #4030943

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I can see the issue on your site here.
hidden link
Please check in WPML -> Settings -> Post Type Translation that those pages or post type where you are adding this image is not set to 'Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language' and they do not have a translation.

Otherwise, this can also be a cache issue. Please make sure to clean the cache from your site and check if the problem persists.

In addition, please make sure that WPML and its add--ons are updated on your site.

If you need more help from me, could you please share your Debug information with me?
You can read the detailed explanation about it here.
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support
The debug info will give me a lot of information about how your site is configured and will help me understand the source of the problem.

Thanks,
Itamar.

June 17, 2019 at 8:13 am #4033037

benC-19

hi Itamar,
thanks for your reply & info:
From what I can tell 'post types translation' is set correctly - see attached image.

I have disabled the cache and still it is not working:
hidden link

WPML and add ons are all up to date - as are all my plugins at this this point.

I've included the debug information as requested.

I'm doing more tests, but still I'm not getting any results - I hope that the debug info can clarify what I'm doing wrong.

thanks for your help,
B

June 17, 2019 at 8:19 am #4033103

benC-19

p.s. - I did disable the cache associated with the site, and still there was no result

June 17, 2019 at 8:30 am #4033207

benC-19

also - where are the 'media translation' images stored? - they do not appear in the wordpress media library...

June 17, 2019 at 9:15 am #4033711

benC-19

p.p.s. what does the 'scan and replace' option mean on the 'media translation' page?
thnx

June 17, 2019 at 7:35 pm #4038205

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for the extra details.

On this new test page that you have created, there seem to be no translations.
hidden link
It is not translated to the other languages.
Please see the attached screenshot.

Please correct the following and check if it helps to solve the problem.

A. WPML and its add-ons have new versions that were released just recently.
Please update WPML and its add-ons.

B. By looking at the debug info that you have attached I can see that your server WP Memory Limit is set to 40M.
Our recommendations are to have the following as minimal requirements:
- PHP 5.6 and above (this OK with your installation) with a WP Memory Limit of at least 128MB and more if possible.
- MySQL 5.6 and above (this OK with your installation).
Please follow this link for detailed documentation:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
Is it possible for you to change those to the minimum requirement?
You may need to contact your hosting provider for that.
Meeting those baseline requirements is most critical before starting to debug and sometimes solves issues like you experiencing.
Most important is to raise the WP Memory Limit.
Please try to raise it before you contact your hosting company.
You can try and do it from the wp-config.php file in your WordPress installation.
Insert this code in that file.

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Add it before this line:
/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Could you please perform that procedure and see if it help?

If the above procedures will not help, could you please tell me how are you inserting the images on those pages? Are you using a page builder to build those pages?

Also, you ask: "where are the 'media translation' images stored? - they do not appear in the wordpress media library"

If you uploaded a different image for the other languages, then they should appear in the Media Library section. It is just that you need to switch the language flag at the top admin bar to see the images in the other language.

You asked: "what does the 'scan and replace' option mean on the 'media translation' page?"

I'm not familiar with such an option. Are you sure that it is a WPML option?
Could you please attach a screenshot?

Regards,
Itamar.

June 18, 2019 at 1:07 pm #4043949

benC-19

hi Itamar,
thanks very much for your detailed response...
the reason the link
hidden link
does not have any translations is because I had to replace the site yesterday with a back up - part of the build process -
I reply to this in more detail soon & will also implement the updates and suggestions you mentioned in your message.
thanks very much for your info - will be back in touch again soon.
B

June 18, 2019 at 2:57 pm #4044597

benC-19

hi Itamar,

I’ve gone through your message and implemented suggestions:

The ‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT is now set to 256 megs as suggested.

I am not using a page builder in the test, just a simple page with a freshly uploaded image (renamed so that it is recognised as new if there are any extra cache issues - the ‘SiteGround’ cache that I’m using is also disabled completely)

I’ve gone through the procedure once again, and the live link is here:

hidden link

There are some screenshots here that show the gist of the procedure - I’m sure I haven’t missed any steps.

Thanks for pointing out the images in the library - I can see them now - there is no drop-down in the media page, but I can see them when using the ‘language flag’ in the admin bar you mentioned.

Regarding the ‘scan and replace’ option - it’s visible in a screenshot attached.

I still can’t get this to work - (I did do translations of all pages despite the confusion with the previous link after site update)

As mentioned previously I ‘did’ manage to get it to work - just once - for only one translation - and this can still be seen here, for the French translation - (but not the English or German):
hidden link

I’m sure I’m carrying out the appropriate steps.

Thanks for your help on this…
Ben

June 18, 2019 at 3:37 pm #4044917

benC-19

p.s. - the option for 'scan and replace' all so appears with 'all translation statuses' selected from the drop-down on the 'media translation' page...

June 19, 2019 at 4:50 pm #4053491

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for trying my suggestions.

Are you using the Advanced Translation Editor (ATE) or the Classic Translation Editor to translate your pages?

I was checking things on my test site, and I think that I see an issue with the ATE and images. If indeed you are using the ATE, could you please check if you get the expected results with the Classic Translation Editor?

If the issue is also happening to you with the Classic Translation Editor, then please try our minimum environment procedure. I suspect that there is a collision with the theme or another plugin that might cause this problem. If possible, get your site into a minimum environment. Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like Twentynineteen and no plugins activated except WPML.
Is it possible for you to try it?
You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to Twentynineteen (for example). If it persists then deactivate all plugins except the WPML and its add-ons. Then please check if the problem persists. If it does not persist, so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back, then report to me which was the culprit plugin.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

*** If your site is a live site you might want first to try those procedures in a staging environment or a snapshot of your site on your local server or another server. ***

If the above also does not lead to any conclusion, please share with me the access to your site so I can check thigs.

If you need further help with this, please share the access details to your site with me.
I'm enabling a private message for the next reply.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- - Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access. --

Thanks,
Itamar.

June 20, 2019 at 3:02 pm #4060893

benC-19

hi Itamar,
thanks again for the detailed instructions - I will get to those as soon as I can & let you know how it goes... & send info etc
Cheers,
B

June 20, 2019 at 6:20 pm #4062295

Itamar
Supporter

Thanks!

I'll wait for your reply.

The topic ‘[Closed] Media Translation Not Working’ is closed to new replies.