Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is experiencing site crashes when attempting to complete translations. This issue has occurred previously and is suspected to be related to a plugin conflict, potentially with WordFence, as indicated by the error message from the file

/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/functions-load-tm.php

Solution:
1. Temporarily disable the WPEngine cache to check if it resolves the issue.
2. Put the website in maintenance mode and deactivate as many plugins as possible to identify if a specific plugin is causing the translation issue. Reactivate them one by one to pinpoint the problematic plugin.
3. Verify that WordFence is configured correctly as it is compatible with WPML. Consider trying another security plugin recommended by WPML if the issue persists. You can find a list of recommended security plugins here: https://wpml.org/plugin-functionality/security/.

If these steps do not resolve your issue, or if the solution seems outdated or irrelevant to your case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the problem persists, please open a new support ticket at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 33 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jacky 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
July 26, 2024 at 5:04 pm #16009465

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thank you for your response.

I've identified the issue. It appears there are some problems with the new Advanced Translation Editor. Here are the steps I've taken to fully translate the post: hidden link

Could you please review it now and confirm if it's functioning correctly on your end? We are aware of other issues with the new Advanced Translation Editor and are working on an update, which will be released soon. In the meantime, you may prefer to continue using the old Advanced Translation Editor.

July 26, 2024 at 5:28 pm #16009497

Jacky

Thanks Kor, I see, I will do some testing over the weekend and come back to you with what I find. To use the old translator I assume I have to click on the cog top right and click the button to use it as a preference until the fix is ready? What are the steps so that I know exactly?

July 26, 2024 at 5:29 pm #16009499

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that's the correct step to use the old translator as shown in my screen recording. Let me know how it goes.

July 29, 2024 at 11:15 am #16015511

Jacky

Hi Kor, just trying to ensure stuff if working now on the site. I have just gone to the post 'AI chatbots for business' and some languages needed updating. I went with the automatic translation option but all languages got stuck with 'waiting for automatic translation' cog. So I cancelled all jobs and went into each of the language ATE's individually. They all show 100% complete. But they still show 'edit' cogs. I then applied your check boxes in the trouble shooting page, as outlined earlier. Once done I cleared the site wide cache again and everything has resolved finally. So still very glitchy but this, along with using the older Advanced editor is the process until you have supplied the fix on the latest ATE?

July 29, 2024 at 2:08 pm #16016483

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your response. Does this issue occur only on this specific page or post? It might be due to a conflict with a third-party plugin when WPML saves the translation. You could try temporarily switching off the WPEngine cache to see if that resolves the problem.

July 29, 2024 at 2:12 pm #16016488

Jacky

The issue occurs a lot on different translations. I don't seem to have many straightforward, completed translations. I will ask my team here if I can switch off the WPEngine cache and test again.

July 29, 2024 at 2:16 pm #16016506

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your response.

If possible, please put your website in maintenance mode and deactivate as many plugins as you can to determine if they are affecting the translation. If the translation works correctly after deactivating the plugins, you can then reactivate them one by one to identify which one is causing the issue.

July 29, 2024 at 2:19 pm #16016582

Jacky

OK, I'll see what can be done this end.

August 1, 2024 at 10:49 am #16029063

Jacky

Hey Kor, we think it is WordFence that may be causing the instability, as it is the only plugin on our site that has the ability to block data traffic/connections. We have switched it off and testing so far has seen the site remain stable. Has there been WordFrence feedback/issues that you know of? What other security plugins do you recommend? Thanks.

August 1, 2024 at 4:39 pm #16030768

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for your response.

WordFence is fully compatible with WPML, as detailed here: https://wpml.org/plugin/wordfence-security/ .

It seems there may be a misconfiguration on your end causing the issue. You might want to try another recommended security plugin listed here: https://wpml.org/plugin-functionality/security/ and see if it resolves the problem.

August 2, 2024 at 1:07 pm #16033639

Jacky

Thanks Kor, we are following your links. WPengine is reporting some issues with WPML and Wordfence so looking at an alternative. Testing is going well, no issues so far. Will report after the weekend.

August 2, 2024 at 1:55 pm #16033797

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Alright then, please let me know how it goes.

August 8, 2024 at 10:19 am #16051989

Jacky

Hi Kor, all seems stable having now reverted to the older advanced translator version and switched out the security package to a different one (recommended by WPML). I have asked my German and Russian translator to translate a page. so I'll report on how that goes. If that is all fine, I guess we're done for now.

August 8, 2024 at 3:38 pm #16053650

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Alright then, please let me know how it goes.

August 12, 2024 at 2:07 pm #16062623
Jacky

Hi Kor, site not working. I have had post translated: '#4 Be Seen Online: how to develop a good website' into Russian and German manually by my translator.

This appeared to go OK. All translations in place. I backed up the site first, I then added some categories: 'German', 'Russian', 'Translator Nichole Haines German', 'Translator Nichole Haines Russian' to the post.

I then need to update the other languages/translations. I began with Arabic to find only 54% was present, the rest was missing. It was still showing in full on public side. I toggled the advanced translation to the older version but this made no difference.

I then tried to update the German translation - again, lots of missing sections of translations.

Please advise asap

New threads created by Kor and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/lots-of-missing-sections-of-translations/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.