Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 70 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kor 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
February 1, 2024 at 3:42 pm #15255798

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thank you for your response.

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges in finding older tickets. You can utilize the following method, which is what I typically do:

1. Visit Google.
2. Enter the search query site:wpml.org followed by your search terms.

Regarding the URL detection issue, we can set it aside for the moment, and we will address the "The Advanced Editor jobs synchronization has failed" in this new ticket. https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-advanced-editor-jobs-synchronization-has-failed-9/

As for this ticket, I will mark it as closed since it pertains to translations not appearing on a page.

February 2, 2024 at 2:16 pm #15259668

Chainalysis

Hi Kor, please do not close this ticket, which "pertains to translations not appearing on a page." As you saw for yourself, this problem is ongoing, and we still need a fix.

February 2, 2024 at 3:27 pm #15260011

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, as I've shown you here in this screen recording hidden link , I'm able to make the translated contents show up after clearing the plugin cache. Maybe you can deactivate the cache plugins while you work on the site and reactivate them once you're done editing. I'm looking into your other ticket here now https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-advanced-editor-jobs-synchronization-has-failed-9/ and will try to follow up on that ticket with you as quickly as possible.

February 5, 2024 at 3:20 pm #15266854

Chainalysis

Hi Kor, thanks for your reply. Three things:

1. It looks like WPML 4.6.7 includes fixes for compatibility with the Object Cache Pro plugin, as noted here -- https://wpml.org/changelog/2023/10/wpml-4-6-7-bug-fixes-and-performance-boost/. If you need to deactivate the Object Cache Pro plugin in order for translations to appear, then perhaps WPML a still has a compatibility problem with Object Cache Pro?

2. We are able to recreate the frequent problem where translations fail to appear even with the OCP plugin deactivated.

3. You suggested that "maybe you can deactivate the cache plugins while you work on the site and reactivate them once you're done editing." Unfortunately, it's not feasible for our translators to deactivate plugins while they work and then activate them again when they are done. Our translators are fairly nontechnical people who work across all time zones, and asking them to deactivate and activate plugins could create a large number of problems.

Given that we can recreate the translation sync problem without the OCP plugin, and that WPML is supposed to be compatible with the OCP plugin, what can be done?

Would it help if I show you a video where we recreate the problems while the OCP plugin is deactivated?

February 6, 2024 at 9:51 am #15270176

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

My colleague shared this errata https://wpml.org/errata/object-cache-pro-various-issues/ and this could be a solution to the OCP plugin issue.

Please try the following and see if it helps with the issue:

- Backup the site completely first to prevent any issues.

- Go to /wp-content/ folder on the site and create a folder named mu-plugins if there is not one already.

- Inside the mu-plugins folder create a PHP file with any name ( or wpml-non-persistent-cache.php ) and place the following code on it:

<?php
/**
 * Plugin Name: WPML Non-Persistent Cache
 * Description: A plugin to prevent persistent caching issues (temporary issue: compdev-220).
 * Author: OnTheGoSystems
 * Author URI: https://wpml.org/errata/problems-with-buddypress-multilingual-and-redis-object-cache/
 * Version: 1.0.0
 * Plugin Slug: compdev-220
 */

wp_cache_add_non_persistent_groups( [
		'convert_url',
		'element_translations',
		'get_pages_adjust_ids',
		'get_user_admin_language',
		'translation_priority_relationships',
		'translationmanagement--get_translation_job_id',
		'wpml_cache_terms_per_lang',
		'wpml_endpoints_support',
		'wpml_pre_option_page',
		'wpml_register_string_filter',
		'wpml_register_string_filter--facetwp',
		'wpml_slug_translation_records--post',
		'wpml_slug_translation_records--taxonomy',
		'wpml_st_cache',
		'wpml_term_translation',
		'wpml_tm_blog_translators--has_translators',
		'wpml_wp_cache__group_keys',
] );

We won't be testing option #2 (OCP plugin deactivated) since we have the workaround above. Let me know how it goes.

February 8, 2024 at 9:53 pm #15283605

Chainalysis

Thanks, Kor! I had a few problems with this code but it turns out that WPML's email system converted a few parts of your code, so the code that I was copying from the email alert was different from the code that you actually shared.

I still had problems at that point but eventually realized that even with this code, I needed to flush the Redis object cache keys or else the server would still use the existing keys.

Once I did that, almost all of the sync problems stopped. (We're still seeing the sync problem that you split into a separate ticket, so I can reply back to that ticket with more info.)

Now, we're only occasionally seeing the following 504 error message in the browser console as the ATE website loads:

GET hidden link net::ERR_ABORTED 504 (Gateway Timeout)

When this happens, the ATE website (e.ate.wpml.org) loads as a blank page, and it seems that refreshing the browser tab solves the problem most of the time on the first try.

Maybe this is an unrelated issue and maybe the ATE website is having a separate problem today.

So I'll keep an eye on this for a few days to see whether that problem goes away.

But this is already a major improvement over where we were before!

February 8, 2024 at 10:05 pm #15283653

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Glad to know that the solution worked for you. I'll check your other ticket now.

February 16, 2024 at 4:29 pm #15312509
Chainalysis

Hi Kor, we're having a lot of trouble with 504 gateway errors now that this new mu-plugin is in place. Sometimes admin-ajax returns a 504 error and blocks us from creating translation jobs, and sometimes the ate.wpml.org website loads and returns a blank screen and 504 error when people are trying to work on a translation.

This was happening a little last week during testing as noted on February 8th, and it's happening a lot now. Not all the time, but often.

So it seems that the mu-plugin has revealed a deeper problem that was obscured by caching earlier.

New threads created by Kor and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/504-gateway-errors/

February 17, 2024 at 5:34 am #15313385

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Let's follow up here https://wpml.org/forums/topic/504-gateway-errors/ regarding the 504 gateways errors. You can refer to this ticket anytime for our reference. Closing this ticket.

The topic ‘[Closed] new translations fail to appear on a page’ is closed to new replies.