Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
If you're experiencing issues after migrating your site from a staging URL to a production URL, where WPML is showing a message that the site has moved and you're unable to continue with normal translation activities, or if you're having trouble connecting to automatic translation even with sufficient credits.

Solution:
First, if you see a message suggesting that the site has moved, we recommend clicking on the "mark it as a copy" link. This action should help WPML recognize the site "thealphacenter.org" as a copy, which can resolve the issue. It's important to note that your translations and translation memory should remain available on the site.

For detailed steps, please refer to our documentation on Using Advanced Translation Editor when you move or use a copy of your site.

If you're still unable to connect to automatic translation after trying the above steps, we suggest unregistering both sites, deleting them from WPML, and then adding the production site back. This process has resolved similar issues for other clients.

However, if these steps do not resolve your issue, or if the solution seems outdated or not applicable to your case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the problem persists, please open a new support ticket with us for further assistance.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
March 11, 2024 at 8:45 pm #15397203

benR-25

We develop our client sites on a staging server so they have a URL like <website URL>.calevir.com. When we launch to production, the URL switches to <websiteURL>.<tld>

We did that this morning with thealphacenter.org. When WPML was installed and translations happened, it was on thealphacenter2.calevir.com.

After launch I went into WPML and the registered site URL had already changed, however when I go to wp-admin for thealphacenter.org I see a message (image 272). I want the site to be at thealphacenter.org and when I click the link in the last paragraph, the text is confusing (image 273). I have clicked the "No - keep the site on hidden link" but nothing happens. That seems like the correct choice as that is want I want to do. This also lines up with what is posted here (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/site-has-moved-to-a-new-location/).

Also, as I have tried to get this resolved, I have 2 registered sites with the same URL. I think, but am not positive, that the one with 8 assigned credits is the staging site, and can be removed. Can I remove that or will I lose translations and credits at the same time?

How can I get the message in image 272 to go away so I can regain normal translation abililty on thealphacenter.org?

Thanks.

Image 273.png
Image 272.png
March 12, 2024 at 4:00 am #15397674

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi Ben,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I’m happy to help you with this issue.

I think there is an issue when you migrate the site and select the option No (move site) in the banner. I suggest you click on the link "mark it as a copy" in the 272 screenshot to set the site "thealphacenter.org" as a copy and see if it helps.
Please note that, the translation is still available on the site "thealphacenter.org" along with translation memory.

Refer documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/using-advanced-translation-editor-when-you-move-or-use-a-copy-of-your-site/#marking-the-original-site-as-a-copy

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks

March 12, 2024 at 8:09 pm #15401410
benR-25

Hi Long I attempted that and it just took me through a loop and I was never able to get it to work.
I ended up unregistering both sites and deleting them from WPML, then adding it back. That appears to have fixed the issue.
However there are pages that are untranslated and with auto translation turned on (image 284), they are not processing. I have plenty of credits assigned and have tried a few ways to get it to translate, but it does not work(image 282 & 283).
I do see one error (image 281). I don't know why I can't connect to automatic translation, but if that can be corrected, maybe things will work?
Please let me know what other steps I can take to resolve this.

Thanks

New threads created by Long Nguyen and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/i-cant-connect-to-automatic-translation/

Image 281.png
Image 282.png
Image 283.png
Image 284.png
March 13, 2024 at 2:51 am #15401875

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi,

So I understand the issue with the banner "This site has moved to a new location" is resolved. Now you have an issue with connecting to automatic translation. We can handle one issue per ticket only, I will split your new issue into another ticket for better handling.

Thanks.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.