Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was unable to change the wording in the English language in the footer, translate options in the contact form from Greek to English, and add a language switch next to the email in the top bar on their WordPress site.
Solution:
1. We checked the 'Houzez > Footer' settings and found that the 'Template type' and 'Display conditions' were not applied to the English translation. After applying these settings, the English footer appeared correctly on both the English and Greek sites.
2. We switched to using the Elementor PRO footer as recommended by our colleague Bobby. The Greek footer, which was still in draft form, was published, translated, and set with the display condition to 'Entire site'.
3. The Elementor Footer is now correctly displaying on the frontend, and the translation is working perfectly.

If this solution does not resolve your issue, or if it seems outdated or irrelevant to your case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If further assistance is needed, please open a new support ticket at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Nicolas V. 2 days, 17 hours ago.

Assisted by: Nicolas V..

Author Posts
September 18, 2024 at 3:16 pm #16194303

christosS-7

Background of the issue:
I am trying to make several adjustments to my WordPress site hidden link using WPML. Specifically, I want to change the wording in the English language in the footer, translate options in the contact form on the homepage from Greek to English, and add a language switch (just the flags) next to the email in the top bar of my page.

Symptoms:
1) I haven't been able to change the wording in the English language in the footer. 2) The options in the contact form on the homepage remain in Greek and haven't been translated into English. 3) I haven't managed to add a language switch (just the flags) next to the email in the top bar.

Questions:
How can I change the wording in the English language in the footer?
How can I translate the options in the contact form on the homepage from Greek to English?
How can I add a language switch (just the flags) next to the email in the top bar of my page?

September 18, 2024 at 5:39 pm #16194894

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

We try to keep each ticket to 1 issue, if possible let's focus on one item in this thread and we can split it into separate ones for the rest of the issues.

"I haven't been able to change the wording in the English language in the footer."

How is the footer created? I can see it's made with Elementor, are you using a template?

If yes, please follow this guide on how to translate Elementor templates.

If the item in the footer is a widget, please follow these steps instead.

#2 issue -> let's focus on this once we resolve this thread (i will split into it's own issue) or you are welcome to open a separate ticket for it as well.

" I haven't managed to add a language switch (just the flags) next to the email in the top bar."

I will provide some quick steps here if we need to further debug we can split into separate issue.

It looks like the header area is a custom area, how is it created?

I recommend reviewing this documentation on how to add a language switcher in custom locations.

September 19, 2024 at 7:43 am #16196375

christosS-7

Hello,

thanks for your support.

For #1
"I haven't been able to change the wording in the English language in the footer." footer is created via my theme -> Houzez (my theme) -> Header & Footer Builder.

I've tried what you said but still isn't working. Is there any change you can take a look?

For #2 and #3 I haven't tried yet what you said to do.

September 20, 2024 at 12:00 am #16200947

Bobby
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed It is necessary to take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website. Providing us with access, you agree that a backup has been taken **

I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

September 24, 2024 at 12:03 am #16212095

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details!

When I examine the Footer I can confirm that the template assigned to it has the ID 4379 which is used in both languages.

Review Houzez (my theme) -> Header & Footer Builder and you will notice that the templates are not translatable.

Go to WPML->Settings-> Μετάφραση τύπων αναρτήσεων and set "Header & Footer Builder (fts_builder)" to "Translatable"

I have added translation, however, I can verify that there is no way I can set the different ID per language, which is most likely why that field was set to 'not translatable'

As you are using Elementor pro, is it possible to create an Elementor Pro template for the footer and just copy the content from the existing footer into the one created with Elementor? Elementor PRO + WPML function properly together and respect the translations.

Let me know your results, please.

September 27, 2024 at 5:53 pm #16231051

christosS-7

Hello, I've tried what you said but didn't work out. Is there any way to try it by yourself?

Thank you.

September 27, 2024 at 6:34 pm #16231118

Nicolas V.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Bobby won't be available for a few days, so I’ll be handling your ticket in the meantime.

- In "Houzez > Footer," I noticed that the "Template type" and "Display conditions" weren’t applied to the English translation. When I applied them, the English footer appeared on both the English and Greek sites.
- So I followed Bobby’s recommendation, I switched to using the Elementor PRO footer instead.
- You had already created the Greek footer, but it was still in draft form.
- I’ve published, translated it, and set the display condition to "Entire site".

Now the Elementor Footer is correctly displaying on the frontend, and the translation is working perfectly.

screenshot-2024_09_27-13_07_39.png
September 28, 2024 at 7:04 am #16231620
christosS-7

Thank you it's working properly.

The last part of our issue is that the options of the contact form are still in greek instead of English in English version.

New threads created by Nicolas V. and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-translation-in-english-different-position-for-flags/

Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 10.03.26 AM.png
September 30, 2024 at 11:41 am #16235967

Nicolas V.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Glad to hear that it now works.

As the original issue is resolved and since we limit one issue per ticket, I have opened a new ticket for your additional question about forms. Let's continue our conversation on that new ticket: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-translation-in-english-different-position-for-flags/

Keeping one issue by forum threat helps to keep the forum clean and organized, it will also help other users with similar problems to find solutions when searching the forum.

Thanks for your understanding.
Nico

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.