This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
May 3, 2019 at 10:01 am #3732861

graceR

I’m currently working on the ROOTS platform – hidden link – and working on uploading translations. Now, there are a few items that I need to get sorted, which is why I am writing to you.

Firstly, and the biggest issue in my view, is that the page hidden link, which has downloadable content, should only display the content in the selected language and have ONLY the downloadable content in the respective language. Currently, the English version has all of the downloadable content in all the languages. When I go to add translation content in the other languages, I have to duplicate the downloadable content or else it won’t show up on there. If I don’t duplicate a section it just displays a message saying [Download not found], so not duplicating it is not an option. I think this is because the plugin just displays a translated version of the same page and it doesn’t create a new page for the different language versions. Is this something that can be fixed, do you think, or should we create new pages for each of the languages with the downloadable resources? I would rather we didn’t do this, because the idea is to have the same website, just in different languages.

Secondly, there’s an issue with the fact that when you go on the website and select a certain language and then navigate to a different page, the website automatically goes to the English version and you have to select the language again. Is there any way we can make it so that when a language is selected, that is the language the visitor navigates throughout the website, without having to select it again?

Lastly, I was able to translate the top menu of the website in the languages I have translations for, however, the right-hand side menu won’t translate for me, except for the “Hello”. I went to the String Translations section and looked everywhere for a way to translate that menu, but I couldn’t find it there. Is there any way you can look into this and see can you find the location for this and I can add the translations.

May 3, 2019 at 11:02 am #3733479

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi there,

Welcome to our forum, I will help you with your issue.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your test site to take a better look at the issue. Could you please indicate me how to replicate this behaviour?

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Kind regards
Raja

May 3, 2019 at 11:28 am #3733823

graceR

Hi Raja,

Thanks for your reply. Would you be able to send me a link to the field that I can use to send you the login information? I'm sorry, but I cannot find the fields you mentioned in your reply. Thank you kindly!

May 3, 2019 at 12:30 pm #3734193

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Sorry maybe I have missed it, I have enabled the fields now.

Thanks and regards
Raja

May 6, 2019 at 4:10 am #3744769

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi there,

I have gone through your site in detail. It seems you are using the download monitor plugin to insert download to your content,

I can see that you have not translated the download to other languages for eg: "Manual: How to Implement Cultural and Natural Heritage Tourism?" The download is available only in English and furthermore, the other languages download are added under the English language which is why you are seeing all the downloads in English post.

Please translate the downloads as you do for the posts and pages. let me know if you need further clarification.

I have enabled the setting for the download post type to fallback to default language if there is no translation and hence you can see the downloads in the translated pages

Please let me know if this is clear before we move to other issues.

Kind regards
Raja

May 7, 2019 at 10:37 am #3756477

graceR

Hi Raja,

Thank you very much for your help. I've been able to resolve the issue regarding the way the downloadable content is shown on the website.

There are two other issues that I still need help with, as I mentioned in my initial message:
- I cannot seem to translate the right-hand side menu, except for the "Hello" tile. Please see the attached photo for reference.
- the second issue is that when a language is selected, only the page you are in when you select the desired language redirects to that language version. When you navigate to a different page, the website automatically switches to English. Is there any way that once a language is selected that the entire website remains in the selected language until the users switch the language themselves? I hope I've explained the issues well enough for you to help me with them.

Thank you very much!

May 7, 2019 at 12:51 pm #3757925

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Glad you are able to resolve the download issue.

Please help me with the location from where the header right grid is added to the site. I am unable to find the location. Did you try searching the text in the WPML > String translations? Once this is done we can move to other issues.

Kind regards
Raja

May 8, 2019 at 2:38 pm #3767841

graceR

Hi Raja,

I have looked in WPML > String translations, however, those terms cannot be found there. I was wondering if you could help me locate that menu.
The more pressing issue, though, is the fact that the website doesn't allow navigation in the selected language. When a language is selected, only the page you are in when you select the desired language redirects to that language version. When you navigate to a different page, the website automatically switches to English. Is there any way that once a language is selected that the entire website remains in the selected language until the users switch the language themselves? I hope I've explained the issues well enough for you to help me with them.

Please help me with the second issue, first, if possible, and we'll move on to the menu translation afterwards.

Thank you very much!

May 9, 2019 at 12:10 pm #3776023

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Your second issue is linked to the first issue.

Once I changed the language of the page, The title menu in the header it's giving a broken URL like hidden link, The URL should be hidden link . This is the reason you are getting redirected to home page when you try to access other pages from the translated page.

I have no idea how the title menu is added could you please explain the steps how to add or edit the title menu that would be helpful.

Kind regards
Raja

The topic ‘[Closed] WPML issues’ is closed to new replies.