Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 13:00 8:00 – 13:00 8:00 – 13:00 8:00 – 13:00 8:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Raja Mohammed 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
February 1, 2019 at 2:56 pm #3152160

Twig

Hi there,

I am trying to: Update the landing page at hidden link so when a user who has English (as an example) as their default browser language arrives on the page, it sends them to the English (/en/) version of the site.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: A redirect to hidden link automatically.

Instead, I got: The landing page.

-----

I've tested with other languages in other browsers and ones like Italian correctly redirect. However, English does not. I'm not sure why this is the case - it seems like it may be because many users have `en-US` or `en-GB` as their default browser language, which is obviously a different slug than the default English.

Is there a way to direct all English users to the English site automatically with WPML?

This also appears be a problem with all languages - if someone has `es-mx` as their browser language, it doesn't redirect to `es`. Is there a way to wildcard languages based off of the first two letters in the language code?

Adding separate languages isn't an option due to problems with scale, and also because all of the languages already installed would need to be synchronized.

Thank you!

February 4, 2019 at 11:12 am #3157230

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi there,

Welcome to our forum,

It seems your issue is related to a known conflict with Redirection plugin which is active in your setup. Can you please try deactivating the plugin and check whether you can reproduce the issue. Please test in incognito / private mode or clear the cookies and cache of your site from the browser.

Let me know the results.

Kind regards,
Raja

February 4, 2019 at 3:13 pm #3158421

Twig

Hi there,

Unfortunately that didn't seem to work. I've disabled the Redirection plugin on our staging site (which is up-to-date with all WPML plugins), emptied both the site and browser cache, and tried in incognito windows with both Firefox and Chrome. I still receive the language selector page.

The staging URL we can test with is here: hidden link

If necessary, I can create a temporary user login for you to take a look - I would just need a secure way to transfer that information.

February 5, 2019 at 4:00 am #3160305

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

HI,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your test site to take a better look at the issue.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Kind regards,
Raja

February 8, 2019 at 5:54 am #3173407

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

HI,

I have requested help from the second tier of supporters to have a detailed look into the issue. I will let you know once I have an update.

Kind regards,
Raja

February 8, 2019 at 2:32 pm #3175705

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi,

I have escalated the issue to the second tier of supporters, They will have a closer look into the issue. I will let you know once I have an update.

I have marked the ticked as escalate for better followup.

kind regards,
Raja

February 11, 2019 at 7:09 pm #3185099

Twig

Hi there,

Any news with the second tier support staff?

February 12, 2019 at 5:48 am #3186679

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi,

We are still working on this, It seems like a logical error Since root pages should not have any language attribute attached to it but it takes the language of the site default language which is quite strange. Our second tier support is still working on this once we have any workaround we will update on this thread immediately.

To keep track of this ticket I have marked the status as escalated and I'm closely following the happenings on the escalated ticket I will let you know the updates.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Kind regards,
Raja

February 19, 2019 at 6:38 pm #3218578

Twig

Hi there,

It's been a week since I've heard from you - has any progress been made on this front?

February 20, 2019 at 4:17 am #3219888

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi there,

Kindly apologize, I'm Afraid i don't have any update to share with you. The issue is still discussed in the developer's queue. Since it is not a showstopper we are looking into some other critical and very important issues and come back to this when our the developer's queue is normal.

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated in this regard.

Kind regards
Raja