Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.23 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 18, 2024 at 10:13 am #15641675

olegA-5

I have a shortcode on my page. It looks like this:: [sc name="echr"][/sc]. I added the following lines to wpml-config:
<wpml-config>
<shortcodes>
<shortcode>
<tag>sc</tag>
<attributes>
<attribute>name</attribute>
</attributes>
</shortcode>
</shortcodes>
</wpml-config>.
I can translate this shortcode in ATE via search-box. However, I want this shortcode to require mandatory translation without search-box. (So that I can translate it once, and on other pages the translation would be inserted automatically.) How to do this? I know that html-attributes seem not to be able to be translated that way, they have to be translated via search-box every time. However, in this case we are talking about plain Latin text (not even escaped characters here).

May 18, 2024 at 12:36 pm #15641806

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

The config looks correct, which means there might be an issue inside the shortcode function.

Please recreate the issue on the following test site and I will have a look into the code.

One-Click-Login:
hidden link

Take note that this sandbox does not come with server access. You can use the File Manager plugin to implement your Shortcode into the functions.php file of Twenty Twenty One Theme.

If you are using a custom plugin, please install it.

Then recreate a content on which I can see the issue.

Leave me a comment on this ticket once you are done with this task.

Best regards
Andreas

May 18, 2024 at 1:42 pm #15641883

olegA-5

In the sandbox, everything works as I want if the shortcode is inserted into the page body. However, it doesn't work if the shortcode is placed in the title. Also, respectively, it doesn't work when the shortcode is placed in the title not directly, but through one of the WPML-compatible SEO plugins (for this plugin in the theme's functions the shortcode support is specified, and in the original page the shortcode is working, but it is not passed to the _compulsory_ translation; it can be translated only through search-box).

May 18, 2024 at 1:56 pm #15641900

Andreas W.
Supporter

The Advanced Translation Editor by default is designed to not display any non-visual elements like HTML attributes or shortcodes. When searching for the strings I can find them and the translation appears to work.

ATE Feature:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/#main-features-of-the-advanced-translation-editor

See screenshot of working translation.

Captura de pantalla 2024-05-18 085304.png
May 18, 2024 at 2:01 pm #15641945

olegA-5

This shortcode displays perfectly in ATE when inserted in the body of the page. I need it to be exactly the same when it is in the title.

May 18, 2024 at 3:52 pm #15642009

Andreas W.
Supporter

If you would use the Classic Translation Editor, which I have now enabled inside the WPML Settings, then you can translate the shortcode.

You could also use the WordPress Editor for creating the translation.

But when using the Advanced Translation editor, it is expected that non-visual elements should not appear by default on the editor, as it could cause unexpected results when using automatic translations:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/#main-features-of-the-advanced-translation-editor

This means the behavior is expected.

Would you anyway like me to consult a feature request for this with our product manager?

Take note, that such feature requests will only be considered according to the amount of people who would like to consider such a feature. Also, the feature request might get rejected if most of our customers actually expect that these shortcodes do not appear on ATE in such cases.

May 18, 2024 at 5:55 pm #15642070

olegA-5

I want it to be translatable in ATE. Because only then I can make other changes to the translation (later), because only then I need to make the translation once, so that it can be used then automatically on many many pages. I'm not asking for this to be the default behaviour. I'm asking what and where to put in to make it work for people who want it to work for them. Like me. It absolutely can work - and is obviously very simple. This is confirmed by the fact that if I paste exactly this shortcode - [sc name="echr"][/sc] - into the body of the page and open ATE, I will see "echr" on the left side as belonging to this shortcode and _requiring_ translation. (I need to do absolutely nothing else for this behaviour.) I want exactly the same thing to happen when that same shortcode is inserted into the page title. That is, I'm asking what and where should be defined so that WPML treats this (such) shortcode in the page title exactly as it treats this shortcode in the page body.

May 18, 2024 at 6:01 pm #15642072

olegA-5

I also thought it was rather strange for the default behaviour, considering that in order for WPML to basically "see" the content of a shortcode, the user needs to specify the shortcode - and its specific attributes - in the config file. Once the user has done this, it is obvious that he wants these attributes to be translated. And it would be logical if they were reflected as requiring translation. So it is strange that they are nevertheless "hidden" in ATE. And on every page where they occur, you have to find them manually and translate them again, instead of taking them from the translation memory, which does not function in this case (which is a separate inconvenience).

May 18, 2024 at 7:31 pm #15642127

Andreas W.
Supporter

You can call the shortcode and its attributes anytime by searching for it, but as you said, the issue with this is, that it is not saved inside translation memory.

Using a Custom XML Config in this case will only take effect for the content, but not for the title or any other custom fields that are using Shortcodes.

I can offer to consult this request with our product manager next week and then I will get back to you once I receive his feedback.

May 18, 2024 at 7:47 pm #15642138

olegA-5

When a shortcode attribute is displayed in the left half in ATE as translatable (without search-box), the translation is of course saved in the translation memory and inserted the next time it is used. This is exactly what happens with this shortcode: [sc name="echr"][/sc]. I translated its name attribute as echr_fr. And if I use it again, this translation will be inserted automatically. Note that this shortcode doesn't require anything else (nothing between the middle square brackets). I need the name attribute to be translated (i.e. "echr" in this case).

May 18, 2024 at 8:09 pm #15642148

Andreas W.
Supporter

Yes, this is correct.

I have opened a ticket for our product manager to review and will contact you again, once I receive his feedback.

June 4, 2024 at 11:27 am #15701747

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Please take kindly note that many improvements will come with WPML 4.7 and the team is still looking into the possibility of saving shortcode attributes inside translation memory.

Until now I can not confirm if this will be a feature of WPML 4.7 but I will keep you updated.

Best regards
Andreas

July 9, 2024 at 8:45 pm #15923258

Andreas W.
Supporter

Take kindly note, that there will be changes to how ATE handles shortcodes in the upcoming version WPML Multilingual 4.7, only so far the changes appear not to cover the content title fields.

For now, your request remains open and we are waiting for more similar requests from other users so that our developers can consider this feature request.

This does not mean that the request has been rejected yet. It is only that the priority for new features depends on the amount of users who requested them.