Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
I am working on a site under development and trying to translate internal link of the button using WPML, but the internal links do not show up in the Advanced Translation page.

Solution:
If you are looking for a way to translate your links on the page, please use this article:
https://wpml.org/announcements/2020/02/translating-links-with-advanced-translation-editor/

If you need to translate the slug of the page itself, use these steps:
1) Activate the option "Translate (this will include the slug in the translation and not create it automatically from the title)" in WPML → Settings → Translated documents options.
2) Then, edit the page. Make a minor modification to the page, save it, and navigate to the WPML translation editor. The slug will be added to the translation. Translate or change it and save it.

This solution might be irrelevant if it's outdated or not applicable to your case. We highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If this does not resolve your issue, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Andrey 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Andrey.

Author Posts
June 17, 2024 at 1:49 pm #15745937

ronaldT-5

Background of the issue:
I am working on a site under development and trying to translate internal links using WPML.

Symptoms:
The internal links do not show up in the Advanced Translation page.

Questions:
Where or how can I translate internal links?

June 17, 2024 at 6:47 pm #15746737

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. While you are waiting for one of my colleagues to take this ticket and work on it, let me provide you with first debugging steps or if I can perhaps help with the issue quickly.

We have an article in our docs that explains just that:
https://wpml.org/announcements/2020/02/translating-links-with-advanced-translation-editor/

If that does not help, one of my colleagues will soon come to continue support.

June 18, 2024 at 1:23 pm #15749289

ronaldT-5

I'm afraid searching for "http" did not return any internal links, only exernal ones, for whatever reason.

June 18, 2024 at 2:01 pm #15749437

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kyiv (GMT+03:00)

Can you provide examples of these links?

You can also try using the "Translate Link Targets" option in WPML → Settings → Translate Link Targets and check if the links are automatically translated.

Please remember to back up your database before making any changes.

June 18, 2024 at 6:33 pm #15750640

ronaldT-5

I tried just that earlier, but that made no changes.

June 19, 2024 at 6:18 am #15753058

Andrey
Supporter

Please show me some examples so I can see the problem and your steps as well. Including examples of these links.

I've enabled debug information for this support ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us:
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

June 19, 2024 at 1:46 pm #15756131

ronaldT-5

Here's the debug info

1. First Snapshot: If you go into the Elementor editor for the page "Acknowledgement", you will see a link in mid-page via a large button.

2. Second Snapshot: That button has a title and a URL link pointing to hidden link and that's the link I'm desperately trying to translate.

3. Third Snapshot: Looking into the WPML advanced editor, we can see that the title of the button is indeed present.

4. Fourth Snapshot: Searching for HTTPS yields nothing, meaning the URL in the button link is nowhere to be found.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 10.00.22 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 9.58.21 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 9.55.25 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 9.53.19 AM.jpg
June 20, 2024 at 8:00 am #15761966

Andrey
Supporter

Thank you for the excellent explanation.

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site – preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible – in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

I noticed that the page translation is incomplete. Please complete it and check if the link is automatically translated.

June 20, 2024 at 11:15 am #15763208

Andrey
Supporter

Thank you for the information. I visited your website and noticed that you mentioned the button link is not translated.

I can confirm that the page translation is completed and the button link is automatically converted to a translated version. Therefore, you only need to translate the title in the translation editor, and the link will be translated automatically. I have attached the screenshot.

Screen-Shot-2024-06-20-at-14-13-36.png
June 20, 2024 at 11:38 am #15763335

ronaldT-5

I do not want any automatic translation to occur. The "dalarme" should be "alarme". Dalarme is not a word that exists in French..

June 20, 2024 at 12:20 pm #15763546

ronaldT-5

And because I have to follow a strict SEO strategy, the URL has to match the Yoast focus keyphase to the teeth.

On another page, I with the English URL hidden link

The automatic translation yields: hidden link

The region LANAUDIERE is missing on the translation, so is MAISON for home.

Automatic translation is anything but good. The best way to kill your publicity and to have no one take you seriously.

June 20, 2024 at 1:59 pm #15764297

Andrey
Supporter

I mean that the URL will be converted if you translate the page containing this button with the URL. It will be broken if you simply translate the button URL by changing the word in the slug URL. From what I can see, you need to change the slug of the page itself /prix-systeme-dalarme-lanaudiere/.

Here are the steps to follow:

1) Activate the option "Translate (this will include the slug in the translation and not create it automatically from the title)" in WPML → Settings → Translated documents options.

2) Then, edit the /lanaudiere-alarm-system-prices/ page (that you put to the button). Make a minor modification to the page, save it, and navigate to the WPML translation editor. The slug will be added to the translation. Translate or change it and save it.

3) Lastly, update the translated page by making minor modification to the original where you have this button.

I hope this helps.

June 20, 2024 at 2:57 pm #15764867

ronaldT-5

3) Lastly, what translate page are you referring to?

June 20, 2024 at 3:06 pm #15764910

Andrey
Supporter

I am referring to the /acknowledgement/ page (where the button is). You will also need to update the page translation. To update the page translation, modify the original page slightly, save it, navigate to the WPML translation editor, and complete the translation.

June 20, 2024 at 3:55 pm #15765292

ronaldT-5

How about I make small changes to ALL my site pages? I presume I need to do this due to the change I make in settings:

Page URL

Auto-generate from title (default)
x Translate (this will include the slug in the translation and not create it automatically from the title)
Copy from original language if translation language uses encoded URLs

ronaldT-5 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-06-20 23:44:58.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.