Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqas Bin Hasan 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Assisted by: Waqas Bin Hasan.

Author Posts
August 26, 2024 at 11:00 am #16103968

caterinag-2

Background of the issue:
I am trying to reduce autoload. Here are the current settings: icl_sitepress_settings 71587, icl_st_settings 21228.

Symptoms:
I expected to see the autoload size less than 800, but instead, I got an autoload size of 1.09M.

Questions:
How can I reduce the autoload size?
Why is the autoload size larger than expected?
i suppose this is due to the large amount of the untraslated strings (waiting for trasnlation) created by an unsolved compatibility between WPML and Events Manager plugin that I reported already in several tickets.
there is any chance to improve the site speed working on this autoload or solving finally untraslated string??

August 26, 2024 at 11:27 am #16104144

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Reference to our recent chat, please try the following:

- Take full backup of site and database.
- Deactivate WPML plugins (including String Translation plugin).
- Clear all caches.
- Activate WPML core plugin, then String Translation plugin and then rest of WPML plugins (if installed).

And see if it helps improving the situation?

And let me know your findings. I'll try my best to help you further on the matter.

Regards.

August 27, 2024 at 9:09 am #16108512

caterinag-2

Hi, just a not relevant improvement
time 10:45
time 11:08

Immagine 2024-08-27 104514.gif
Immagine 2024-08-27 110811.gif
August 27, 2024 at 12:01 pm #16109443

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the support.

I need to take a closer look at your site. So I request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP), preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated.

Your next answer will be private, to share this information safely.

Also provide detailed steps to reproduce the issue and links to pages in the admin and on the frontend.

IMPORTANT: Please take a complete backup of the site to avoid data loss. I may need to activate/deactivate plugins also.

See https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/ for details on privacy and security.

Regards.

August 28, 2024 at 12:06 pm #16114816

caterinag-2

please also note this PHP error

Deprecated rtrim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated

wp-includes/formatting.php:2819

292 Plugin: sitepress-multilingual-cms

August 28, 2024 at 1:25 pm #16115446

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for the updates. I've checked a few things and right now have deactivated all plugins and switched to 2024 theme. Further I've installed a couple of DB plugins to check in the database.

I've collected some information which I'm checking with my team.

Additionally, I renamed the .htaccess to 1.htaccess, while generating a new/default from the WordPress.

I am working on this and 'll get back to you as soon as I find something or have a solution.

August 29, 2024 at 5:39 am #16117482

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. I've escalated the issue to our 2nd tier team for more insights. I'll update you accordingly.

August 29, 2024 at 11:08 am #16119512

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Team suggested a few workarounds:

1. Removed untranslated strings from WPML -> String Translation.

I've tried this and it has significantly reduced "icl_st_settings" size. However, team also noted that the "icl_st_settings" shouldn't be there since we introduced .mo files logic. So probably this is from a corrupted migration. Anyhow, now it has been reduced to a very low size and shouldn't be a problem.

2. In WPML -> Theme and plugins localization -> Localization options, the "Automatically load the theme's .mo file using 'load_textdomain'" is turned on and has lot of text domains set for autoload.

You can probably slightly reduce the "icl_sitepress_settings" option by removing the entries in WPML > Theme and Plugin localization for the autoloaded domains - and limit them only to the necessary ones.

3. Lastly, team suggested to deactivate and then activate all plugins one by one, so that if there is an update logic that needs to pass to be executed if necessary.

I've done this for WPML plugins. Please take a look at your plugins, update the ones necessary and activate one by one.

And then finally, check again if this helps improving the performance.

Please also note that, the plugin Query Monitor itself puts a load, it is better if you keep it deactivated and then check for the overall autoload size.

Let me know.

August 30, 2024 at 11:10 am #16124452

caterinag-2

HI Waqas
thanks for your reply. WPML wass originally installed when i creatd this website more than 5 years ago so, i cannot immagine what kind of migration haas created this....
By the way
1. I used the command Remove strings by domain and no improvement in autoload. Shall I delete strings from the mail string tranmslation table? if yes, how to select the ones to be deleted? Options are translation completed- translation needed - waiting for a translator - partially translated
2. localization option box is now unchecked but there is no way to remove plugin from the plugin string table. How to??

3. I will do it once 1&2 done, so wait for your reply.
4.Query Monitor just a temporary installation.

August 30, 2024 at 11:54 am #16124549

caterinag-2

I tried to delete strings manually. especially the ones related to Events manager plugin (the one causing a lot of conflicts with WPML). Once deleted, they are immediatelly generated once again and status is "Waiting for translator to English"

Why that? there is any way to say that strings from EM plugin are trasnlated manually and never assigned to a translator?
Or to solve this anyhow?
I'm quite sure this is half of the autoload problem

August 30, 2024 at 1:30 pm #16125054

caterinag-2

I the meantime I cancelled most of the unstraslated strins. No improvements at all.
so last chance is th plugin off-on method.
I'm a bit scared of doing this on the living site....

September 2, 2024 at 8:22 am #16130505

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for the updates. Please consider following:

- Removing directly from DB table isn't recommended. However, you can use "translation needed" status in WPML -> String Translation to find out the ones not yet translated.

- Unchecking the text-domain autoload shouldn't load strings by domain. However, you can also delete the strings by domain from WPML -> String Translation, see https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/#how-to-delete-a-string for details.

- After deleting if strings are immediately going into "Waiting for translator to English", try to turn off automatic translation, delete existing translation jobs for these strings, scan the plugin to bring strings manually and then translate manually.

After this if you turn on automatic translation again, there 'd be an option to translate only new content onwards.

- plugin off-on method on live site: Yes this can be risky, however, I'll recommend taking a full backup of site and DB, put the site temporarily in maintenance mode and try. The best 'd be to pick a time with low or no traffic on your site.

Alternatively, you can prepare another staging (if current one isn't based on the live), try there and then do it on live. But of course, keep the points from previous paragraph in mind.

Please let me know if any of this helps improving or I'll try my best to further help you on the matter.

The topic ‘[Closed] autoload’ is closed to new replies.