Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is experiencing issues with untranslated text in ACF fields on their website, including footer calls-to-action, hero section text, and link text in ACF fields, despite using memoQ for translation from English to French.
Solution:
We discovered that many of the ACF fields were set to 'Copy' instead of 'Translate', which prevented them from appearing in the translation editor. To resolve this, we adjusted the settings to 'Translate' for the necessary fields. Additionally, we added a custom XML configuration to ensure proper handling of these fields:

<wpml-config><br />  <custom-fields><br />    <custom-field action="copy-once">wp-link-text-field</custom-field><br />    <custom-field action="translate">side_by_side_button</custom-field><br />  </custom-fields><br />  <custom-fields-texts><br />    <key name="wp-link-text-field"><br />      <key name="*"><br />        <key name="label" /><br />      </key><br />    </key><br />  </custom-fields-texts><br /></wpml-config><br />We recommend updating the post after adding this configuration to see if the button link text appears correctly in the translation editor.<br /><br />If this solution does not resolve your issue, or if it seems outdated or irrelevant to your case, please check the <a href="https://wpml.org/known-issues/">related known issues</a> and confirm that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the problem persists, we highly recommend opening a new support ticket <a href="https://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/">here</a>.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 7.76 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Lauren.

Author Posts
June 20, 2024 at 7:27 pm #15766508

Chad Warner

Background of the issue:
I am working on hidden link. We've been sending content to memoQ for translation from English to French, and we want all text on all pages to be translated. Some text is untranslated in several places. We've found how to manually translate it, but we don't want to have to do that; we want memoQ to translate it.

Symptoms:
Some text remains untranslated in several places, including footer calls-to-action, the hero section on the homepage, and link text in ACF fields. Below are a few examples.

The site has footer calls-to-action ("Connect with us" and "View job opportunities") on hidden link. They aren't translated into French (hidden link). These are ACF fields that are controlled through a Site Options screen in the custom theme. I can't find these fields in Translation Management or String translation.

The homepage has text in the hero section ("Engineered for Impact") that isn't translated into French (hidden link). This page is made of ACF fields. There is a trademark symbol (TM) in this text, so maybe that's causing a problem.

Link text in ACF isn't translated into French in several places. For example, see "Our ESG Approach" button/link halfway down hidden link (English translation: hidden link).

Questions:
How can I ensure that all ACF fields, including those in the Site Options screen, are translated by memoQ?
Is the trademark symbol (TM) in the hero section text causing translation issues?
How can I automate the translation of link text in ACF fields?

June 20, 2024 at 9:16 pm #15767323

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Please let me know the results of testing when you edit the XLIFF of the page after the updates we discussed in the chat.

June 21, 2024 at 6:10 pm #15777802

Chad Warner

I've tried repeatedly to follow the steps you gave, and they're not working. I keep getting "The export to XLIFF failed." This happens for all versions of XLIFF. This happens if the page has status "Completed - needs update" or "Needs translation." When I took the page to translate, there was a blank box for the field in French. I'll attach screenshots. Please let me know what else to do.

Also, we've been focused on 1 page. I also need help with these items from my original request:

The site has footer calls-to-action ("Connect with us" and "View job opportunities") on hidden link. They aren't translated into French (hidden link). These are ACF fields that are controlled through a Site Options screen in the custom theme. I can't find these fields in Translation Management or String translation.

Link text in ACF isn't translated into French in several places. For example, see "Our ESG Approach" button/link halfway down hidden link (English translation: hidden link).

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 2.06.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 2.03.49 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 2.02.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 2.01.12 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 1.59.50 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 1.58.58 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 1.58.44 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 1.58.04 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 1.46.15 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 1.46.03 PM.png
June 24, 2024 at 3:38 pm #15808992

Lauren
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

June 25, 2024 at 12:50 pm #15820859

Chad Warner

I'm waiting for the site owner to grant permission to give access.

June 25, 2024 at 2:39 pm #15822118

Lauren
Supporter

Okay thank you, I'll look for an update once access has been granted. The next reply will include the private fields.

June 28, 2024 at 11:20 am #15851404

Chad Warner

I'm still waiting for the site owner to grant permission to give access. Please don't close this ticket.

July 3, 2024 at 3:49 pm #15885724

Lauren
Supporter

Sure, just let us know when we have access. Thanks.

July 3, 2024 at 8:18 pm #15886814

Chad Warner

I have a development site and am ready to grant access. Could you please enable the private box to share credentials?

July 4, 2024 at 3:38 pm #15893102

Lauren
Supporter

The next reply has the private fields enabled for credentials. Thanks!

July 5, 2024 at 8:31 pm #15900161

Lauren
Supporter

The homepage has text in the hero section ("Engineered for Impact") - this is now showing in the XML file. If you want to share an email address with me I can upload this to Google Drive and show you the latest XLIFF file I downloaded. To resolve this, I went to Translation Management and cancelled the in progress jobs. I then edited the translation and made sure it was showing 100%. At this point, I did not see the Engineered for Impact text. I then edited the original homepage by adding a space after the text. I went to WPML -> Translation Management and sent the Home page to myself as a Translator. Then I went to WPML -> Translations and exported the homepage XLIFF. I opened it up in an online XLIFF editor and the missing content was there. So it seems what happened is that the page was in progress to translation when it was updated. So a new page translation needed to be sent.

I am sharing here the link for how the theme options can be translated: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/translating-the-acf-options-page-custom-fields-with-wpml/

For the Link text "Our ESG Approach", can you please tell me the name of the Field Group where this content is created? I could not easily find it.

July 5, 2024 at 8:44 pm #15900184

Chad Warner

Thank you! For the homepage text in the hero section ("Engineered for Impact"), will the process you described work for sending this page to a translation service (such as memoQ)?

For the theme options, will the process in the documentation you sent work for sending this page to a translation service (such as memoQ)?

The "Our ESG Approach" link text can be found by editing hidden link and doing a find in your browser for "esg". It's at the bottom of the 2nd "Side by Side" block (screenshot attached).

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 4.42.36 PM.png
July 5, 2024 at 8:49 pm #15900200

Lauren
Supporter

Yes, most translation services, the content is sent to and from translation via XLIFF files. I just used the online editor for testing.

No, as of now, it seems the only way to translate theme options is using the admin language switcher.

I can see where to edit the text, but i need to know the name of the Field Group that was used to insert these fields in the page edit screen.

Thanks!

July 5, 2024 at 9:03 pm #15900236

Chad Warner

Thanks! I think it's the "Side by Side Block" field group (group_6343482f451e8): hidden link

July 8, 2024 at 7:21 pm #15915401

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for helping me locate the button. When I switched the Side By Side field group to expert, I found that the button field had been set to Copy. Can you create a new post with this button and translate it and see if the translation shows after I set the field to translate?

If that does work, try updating the Legacy page and see if the button content now shows in the editor after sending it to translation via the WPML -> Translation Management screen.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.