Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client wanted to change the default language of their website's pages from English to Dutch and then translate them to English and German. They attempted to disconnect the translations by setting 'This is the translation of' to '--None--', but it reverted back to the original language after saving. They referred to a support forum topic but were unsuccessful.
Solution:
We identified that the issue was due to outdated WPML plugins. After updating the plugins, we were able to disconnect the secondary language products from the primary language by following the instructions provided in the documentation.

Here are the steps to follow:
1. Update WPML plugins to the latest version.
2. Disconnect the secondary language products from the primary language using the provided documentation.
3. Link the products back to the English language product.
4. Select 'Make [Language] the original language for this page' as described in the documentation.

If this solution does not seem relevant to your issue, please open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kor 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
November 28, 2023 at 3:48 pm #14941567

riencov

We have our website build up in English with the translation languages Dutch and German

Our SEO company updated a lot of Dutch texts and wants to implement these inside of the dutch pages. However, the english pages are still filled with some very basic text.

Our question: Is it possible with the WPML Translation Editor to change the default language to Dutch and afterwards translate it from herre to English and German?

We already tried to disconnect it from the main language by setting "This is the translation of" to "--None--", but after saving, it falls back to the original page selected in this selectbox. We followed this support question: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/changing-the-default-language-of-a-page/, but didn't work out.

November 28, 2023 at 6:56 pm #14943755

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting WPML support.

That is the correct step to disconnect a language page. I will need to closely examine your website. Therefore, I will require temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to a test site where the problem has been replicated, if possible. This will enable me to provide better assistance and determine if any configurations need to be modified.

Please note that it is important to have a backup for security purposes and to prevent any potential data loss. You can use the UpdraftPlus plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) to fulfill your backup requirements.

Your upcoming reply will be treated with confidentiality and will only be visible to you and me.

✙ To resolve the issue, I may need your consent to deactivate and reactivate plugins and the theme, as well as make configuration changes on the site if necessary. This emphasizes the significance of having a backup.

November 29, 2023 at 4:31 pm #14954173

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thanks for your patience.

I can see the issue now. It's caused by the outdated WPML plugins. I've updated it and I'm able to disconnect the secondary language products from the primary language following the instructions here https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-disconnect-translations-from-the-default-language-page-or-post/ .

Check out this product

EN - hidden link

NL - hidden link

DE - hidden link

Now you just have to link it back to the EN language product and select "Make [Language] the original language for this page."

https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-link-already-translated-pages/

Could you give it a try now?

November 30, 2023 at 8:00 am #14958863

riencov

Thanks, after updating the live environment to 4.6.8 my issue is resolved.

riencov confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2023-11-30 08:00:24.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.