Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
If you are trying to translate your categories and notice that the slug is automatically changed to [category]-en and it seems strange, and you are wondering if changing it back without the -en could affect your site.
Solution:
By default, WordPress does not allow having two categories with the same slug, so WPML adds the language code at the end. However, WPML allows you to bypass this restriction if you edit the slug manually, which it sounds like you've already done. Therefore, you can use the same slug in different languages for your translated categories.

If the solution provided is not relevant to your case, because it could be outdated or simply not applicable to your situation, we recommend open a new support ticket. We also suggest that you review the known issues, check the version of the permanent fix, and confirm that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you need more help, do not hesitate to contact us at the WPML support forum .

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nicolas Viallet 2 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Nicolas Viallet.

Author Posts
February 24, 2022 at 5:41 pm #10658431

canC-5

Hi there,

I'm trying to translate our categories, but the slug is automatically changed to [categorie]-en. Its looking a bit weird, so I have changed it back without the -en. Would this hurt my site? Or is this ok?

February 26, 2022 at 1:35 pm #10669413

Nicolas Viallet
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. My name is Nicolas and I will be happy to help you today.

By default WordPress won't let you have two categories with the same slug. That's why WPML will append the language code at the end.

However WPML let you bypass that restriction if you edit the slug manually and it seems that you already have done that 😉

So yes, you can use the same slug in different language for your categories.

Thanks,
Nico

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.