Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Yerevan (GMT+04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christopher Amirian 5 days, 18 hours ago.

Assisted by: Christopher Amirian.

Author Posts
September 9, 2024 at 10:36 am

carolienJ

Background of the issue:
We installed WPML on our site hidden link and since then, the backend is extremely slow, especially when opening the media library. The frontend is also a bit slower, but the backend is unworkable. When we deactivate WPML, everything works fine. We deactivated all plugins and activated them one by one, confirming that WPML is causing the issue. We also tried disabling 'Track where strings appear' and 'Adjust ID's' without any improvement. The server is an 8 core 16GB server using SSDs, and monitoring through Zabbix shows that the server is not under heavy load. We want to take the site into production and need a solution.

Symptoms:
The backend of the website becomes extremely slow when WPML is activated, especially when opening the media library. The frontend is also slightly slower.

Questions:
Why is WPML causing the backend to be extremely slow?
How can we optimize WPML to improve backend performance?
Are there any specific settings in WPML that we should adjust to resolve this issue?

September 9, 2024 at 11:09 am
September 9, 2024 at 11:13 am #16155739

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Yerevan (GMT+04:00)

Hi,

Please reply back when the migration is finished. I will check the dashboard to find a clue.

it might take time but I will update you. If needed I will report the issue to second-tier support.

Thanks.

September 12, 2024 at 8:19 am #16169472

carolienJ

Hi Christopher,

he site has been uploaded. Sorry for he late reply but I work only on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thanks!

September 12, 2024 at 10:57 am #16170353

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi,

Would you please set the next reply as private and give the uploaded website login information so I can check without the fear of breaking a live website?

Thanks.

September 12, 2024 at 1:43 pm
September 12, 2024 at 1:50 pm #16171475

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi.

I'm not sure if I understood your message. is the information you shared on the last reply safe for us to do troubleshooting?

It means we will deactivate plugins, do tests that might break the website.

We ask for an environment that we can do troubleshooting without the fear of addecting a live website.

September 12, 2024 at 2:05 pm #16171617

carolienJ

I've changed the credentials.

September 13, 2024 at 1:04 pm #16175613

carolienJ

Hi Christopher,

We uploaded the website to the address that you gave us at Cloudways. That is not live so you can do whatever you want with the Cloudways one as you see fit.

September 15, 2024 at 3:06 pm #16180293

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you very much. I managed to access sthe copied website and do tests.

I found out that there is no difference if you deactivate all the other plugins and the theme. I used the default 2022 WordPress theme.

Then enabled WPML plugins and tested and deactivated them and tested. I did not see huge difference as described in the chat.

Would you please check yourself ont he copied website Maybe I miss something?

My question is that with only WPML plugins enabled and other factors deactivated such as other plugins and the theme of the website, there is not much difference on the performance if WPML is enabled or not.

Thanks.