Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
External translators (Contributors) still have access to automatic translation in WPML despite being denied access in the settings.
Solution:
We have confirmed with our development team that we are addressing this issue in future releases. Currently, the automatic translation will occur unless the user disables it in the Advanced Translation Editor (ATE). Users need to disable this setting only once, and it will apply to all future translations. We are also working on creating a global setting that can be controlled by the admin, removing this control from the user level. We appreciate your patience and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

If this solution does not resolve your issue, or if it seems outdated or irrelevant to your case, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the problem persists, please open a new support ticket at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lucas Vidal de Andrade 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Lucas Vidal de Andrade.

Author Posts
September 6, 2024 at 11:25 am #16148696

Bo

Background of the issue:
We have pay as you go automatic translation enabled for some internal employees, however several external translators (Contributors) have been denied access to automatic translation in WPML> Settings > Tools > Who can use automatic translation. I have disabling all plugins except for WPML as suggested yesterday, but the issue persists. All caches were cleared in the process.

Symptoms:
External translators (Contributors) who have been denied access to automatic translation still have access.

Questions:
Why do external translators still have access to automatic translation despite being denied in the settings?
What additional steps can I take to resolve this issue?

September 6, 2024 at 5:09 pm #16149969

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” or "All in One WP Migration" on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

September 11, 2024 at 6:54 pm #16167894

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hey there,

Thank you for sharing access. I created a new Contributor user as a test in the SandBox, and was able to edit Automatic translation settings inside the Advanced Translation Editor (see image) of an assigned translation. This indicates that the problem is not with your website, but is an issue with WPML.

I've already notified our developers, which will look for a workaround, until we find a permanent solution for this issue. Thank you so much for bringing that to our attention. Besides the settings I mentioned above, marked in the image, are there any other settings you noticed that are accessible and shouldn't be?

Please let me know. As soon as I hear from our devs I'll let you know.

September 12, 2024 at 7:53 am #16169373

Bo

Hey

Thank you for reporting back, I'll let our client know that the problem is being worked on and that he'll be updated as soon as we are.

We haven't noticed any other issue with the settings, the client only noticed this when the charges were going up when he wasn't using the automatic translation himself, and the logs indicated it was the external translators who didn't have permission.

Looking forward to hearing back, thanks!

September 12, 2024 at 6:20 pm #16173226

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

So, I confirmed with the development team. We're currently working to address this in future releases. Here's how it works, at the moment:

• Translation will happen automatically, unless the user disables it in ATE (check image);
• The users need to disable it only once. The change is permanent and valid for all translations in the future;

Besides that, no other setting is accessible to the user. We're currently working on creating a global setting, set by the admin, so this control is removed from the user level. I appreciate your patience and for bringing that issue to our attention 🙂

Advanced Translation Editor - WPML _Staging_ 15.05.07.jpeg
September 13, 2024 at 2:00 pm #16176051

Bo

Hi again.

I just want to make sure we're talking about the same issue.

The problem is not as much that it's doing it automatically, it's rather than they even have the option to use automatic translations at all.

As an administrator. If I go to the setting in Translation Management -> Tools -> Who can use automatic translation and disable it for a normal Contributor, the user should have no way to use automatic translation as far as we understand it, even when clicking the button manually (Like you see in the image)

This option is greyed out for Contributors normally, but if I enable pay-as-you-go on my administrator account, even the contributors can now just click that button manually which uses translation credits.

We've already disabled the setting seen in your image, but if they can just click the button instead, it doesn't make any difference 🙂

Skærmbillede 2024-09-13 kl. 15.53.38.png
September 16, 2024 at 12:13 pm #16183614

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

Yes, the issue you pointed out is the exact one we're working on at the moment. We also identified that even when disabled, users can have access to the automatic translation inside the Translation Editor.

Unfortunately, as I said, we don't have a quick solution at the moment. Users that won't use the automatic translation will also have to disable it.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate that you brought that out to our attention.

September 20, 2024 at 1:21 am #16201012

Bo

Hi Lucas,

When you said "I created a new Contributor user as a test in the SandBox", did you manage to create the full backup of the website in your test environment? If so, we need your help to get the backup file.

September 20, 2024 at 1:05 pm #16203130

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

No, the SandBox is a fresh install, a test environment. I did not create or use any copy/backup of your website, unfortunately. I asked for access to your website, only to check your settings.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.