Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
You are using the Advanced Translation Editor in WPML and facing two issues: handling soft returns and missing product variations in the German translation. The soft returns are not processed correctly, and the product variations expected in the German translation are not appearing.
Solution:
1. For handling soft returns, ensure that global attributes are available and can be selected from the dropdown in the Advanced Translation Editor. More details can be found here: WPML Documentation on Taxonomies.
2. To address the missing product variations, follow these steps:
- Make a full website backup.
- Navigate to WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual and Multicurrency > Settings > Troubleshooting.
- Select the following options: Update products count, Sync product variations, Sync product categories (display type, thumbnail), and Fix translated variations relationships.
- Click on Start and wait for the process to complete.
- Update the original product and its translation.

If this solution does not resolve your issues or seems outdated, we recommend checking related known issues at WPML Known Issues, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If problems persist, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Wim Roskam 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Assisted by: Lucas Vidal de Andrade.

Author Posts
September 12, 2024 at 3:00 pm #16172142

Wim Roskam

Background of the issue:
I am trying to use the Advanced Translation Editor in WPML. I am experiencing two issues: handling soft returns and missing product variations in the German translation. The issue can be seen on this page: hidden link (Dutch language is the original).

Symptoms:
Firstly, the Advanced Translation Editor doesn't handle soft returns well. Secondly, the product variations are not showing up in the German translation. In the German translation, I expected to see buttons with: 8 Karat | 14 Karat | 18 Karat. In the English translation, I expected to see buttons with: 8 carat | 14 carat | 18 carat. Instead, I got: German translation: ... (nothing) and English translation: 8 karaat | 14 karaat | 18 karaat (so this was not translated).

Questions:
Why doesn't the Advanced Translation Editor handle soft returns well?
Why are the product variations not showing up in the German translation?

September 13, 2024 at 3:54 pm #16176705

Wim Roskam

Regarding the missing variation buttons...
When I follow your steps and I choose an attribute to translate then I see only 4 attributes, some of which are translated as if they are in the original language. I expected to see many more attributes to be translated/synchronized.
Did I do something wrong?

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-09-13 om 17.51.32.png
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-09-13 om 17.51.52.png
September 13, 2024 at 5:33 pm #16177245

Wim Roskam

Adding to this... I executed all the steps you mentioned, without result. The same problem remains.
As I mentioned in my previous comment... What I expected to see are attribute names like...

Lengte (or length in English or Länge in German),
Metaal (or metal or Metall),
Afmeting (or size or Größe) etc.

...as these are (some of) the attributes used on the webshop. Now there are only a few attributes shown like 'color' and 'variation', but none of them are related to the product (Akaija Bold in Gold) that I gave you as an example.

I hope you have more tricks to be tested out :-).

Regards,

Wim

September 16, 2024 at 12:47 pm #16183932

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hey there Wim,

There's perhaps an important detail here. Only global attributes, set in Products > Attributes can be translated in WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual and Multicurrency > Attributes.

Attributes created directly in the Product page, can be only translated along with the product. Those are called local attributes. Local attributes won't show in WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual and Multicurrency > Attributes, that's expected.

By translating each of them in their respective location, your store should have them all in multiple languages. Let me know if that helps. If not, I'll be here to further support you.

September 16, 2024 at 2:28 pm #16184439

Wim Roskam

Hi Lucas,
Thank you.
Indeed under WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual and Multicurrency > Attributes there's nothing listed. So obviously all are local then.
I didn't know there is a difference, so my question is:
1. How can I see if an attribute is local or global (apart from seeing in the above mentioned list)?
2. Your last paragraph is a bit hard to understand for me: "By translating each of them in their respective location, your store should have them all in multiple languages."... When I go to the products list, in Dutch (primary language) I can change every attribute/variation. But when I change to German or English then the attributes and variations are locked. How do I overcome that?

September 16, 2024 at 2:36 pm #16184481

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hey there,

Answering your questions:

1. How can I see if an attribute is local or global (apart from seeing in the above mentioned list)?
You can verify that on Products > Attributes. All the ones that are listed there, are global attributes and should show in WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual and Multicurrency > Attributes.

How do I overcome that?
By default, attributes/variations can only be changed in the primary product. Make sure to use the Advanced Translation editor to translate your products, and do not edit them directly, inside WordPress. To make sure you're using the Translation Editor, visit the primary product (in the primary language) and check if the option marked in the image attached is selected.

Having this option selected, you can always translate your products via WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual and Multicurrency. Here's the details on how to translate your products:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/woocommerce-multilingual/

Edit product _Test 01_ _ Sandbox _ WordPress.jpeg
September 16, 2024 at 3:08 pm #16184682

Wim Roskam

Thanks. I'll need to check this out in a couple of days... bit busy a the moment. When succeeded I'll let you know.

September 16, 2024 at 5:46 pm #16185145

Wim Roskam

Still there... I have a bit of time.
I think I did all as you said. And I've taken four screenshots.

One:
WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual and Multicurrency > Attributes
This page is completely empty.

Two:
WPML Translation Editor with the product: Bold Akaija Gold.
As you see all variations are translated to German.

Three:
Edit page of product Bold Akaija Gold.
As you can see WPML Translation is checked.
'Eigenschappen' (Attributes, but in Dutch) tab shows 'metaal' (Metal or Metall)

Four:
Client side screenshot of Bold Akaija Gold in German: there are no variations.

I don't know what I did wrong.

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-09-16 om 19.40.44.png
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-09-16 om 19.34.54.png
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-09-16 om 19.34.16.png
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-09-16 om 19.32.44.png
September 16, 2024 at 6:18 pm #16185292

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

Let me check if everything is working as expected. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” or "All in One WP Migration" on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

September 17, 2024 at 6:28 pm #16190182

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

So, here's a couple things I found:

1. In the copy, the global attributes were available in the dropdown. Please check attached image. You can simply click on the dropdown and continue with the translation. Here are more details, in case you need:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/woocommerce-multilingual/#taxonomies

2. I was able to sync the missing variations.

It seems they were out of sync and WPML was having trouble adjusting them. Please make a full website backup and follow these steps:

1. Go to WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilungual and Multicurrency > Settings > Trobleshooting (check image). The link is in the bottom-right side;
2. Select the options marked in the image: Update products count, Sync products variations, Sync products categories (display type, thumbnail) and Fix translated variations relationships;
3. Click on Start and wait for the process to finish;
4. Update the original product and its translation;

Let me know if this also works for you. I

WooCommerce Multilingual _ Multicurrency _ Akaija _ Art _ WordPress · 3.16pm · 09-17.jpeg
WooCommerce Multilingual _ Multicurrency _ Akaija _ Art _ WordPress · 3.23pm · 09-17.jpeg
WooCommerce Multilingual _ Multicurrency _ Akaija _ Art _ WordPress.jpeg
September 17, 2024 at 8:03 pm #16190555

Wim Roskam

Hi Lucas,

You did it!
Thank you. I did all you wrote, tried it out with the Bold Akaija Gold in German translation, and the result is as on the image... what I hoped to see: 3 gold variations in German language.

Now I can continue the other translations.

Kind Regards and Thanks for the help.
Wim

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-09-17 om 21.59.10.png
September 17, 2024 at 8:04 pm #16190573

Wim Roskam

With thanks!

Wim Roskam confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-09-17 20:04:49.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.