Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Alejandro.

Author Posts
July 15, 2024 at 7:23 am #15952513

danishp

Background of the issue:
I am using WPML to create multiple stores for different countries, all in the same language. My website is hidden link.

Symptoms:
My store is taking a long time to load. Despite adding 10 web cache plugins to optimize the website, the issue persists.

Questions:
Why is my store taking a long time to load despite using 10 web cache plugins?
How can I optimize my website's performance when using WPML for multiple stores in the same language?

July 15, 2024 at 9:21 am #15953202

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

My colleague asked you to run some tests and you mentioned you needed time to do so. please write here your results and also let us know which plan and hosting are you using so we can check what server resources you have.

Please know that an e-commerce site requires quite a bit of resources and if you add WPML which is going to touch EVERYTHING in your site, then you'll probably need at least twice those initial resources as requirement, just to make sure your site runs smoothly.

Regards.

July 15, 2024 at 11:58 am #15954112

danishp

Hi I tried below steps according to the recommendations
Deactivated all plugins except WPML.
Switch to a standard theme like 2024.
Then start activating plugins one by one while keep checking for the issue. This way you 'll be able to pinpoint a conflict when & where it starts creating the problem.

The issue when someone switch fro fanjackets.com to hidden link
i takes around 12-15 second to load that page

July 15, 2024 at 2:27 pm #15954942

Alejandro
Supporter

I see, and in other languages that doesn't happen?

Would you allow me to run some tests on your site or a staging version of your site? if you do, then please create a backup of your site and then allow me to access by adding the credentials (create a new user with a fake mail, so you have 100% control on that user) in the field i have activated in this next answer.

July 15, 2024 at 2:29 pm #15954949

Alejandro
Supporter

Credential fields will be enabled now for your next answer.

July 18, 2024 at 7:43 am #15970511

Alejandro
Supporter

Do you have a backup of that site? because there seemed to be something off on that site and when i ran the troubleshooting settings, all the custom languages got deleted even though i had not run the option that actually did that.

If you can, please restore the site that contains the issue and allow me to go to the database and check it out.

However, can you please give me a reference page where i can see the slowness so we can always use that during our communication?

Thanks in advance.

July 18, 2024 at 7:55 am #15970671

danishp

Additionally, I would like to inform you that all our stores use the same language, so there is no need for translations for other country stores. I am considering removing the WPML Multilingual CMS plugin and would like to know if this could create any issues.

July 18, 2024 at 8:16 am #15970835

danishp

I uploaded backup of the website can you please check again by using same credentials
When user switch country from USA to AU or uk Page took around 12-15 seconds to load that page
please check the attached ss for more clarification

Capture-min.PNG
July 18, 2024 at 8:16 am #15970850

Alejandro
Supporter

That's the thing. it's a store so it will probably have filters and if that's the case then it will definitely need to be duplicated into different languages (which is not the same as translated) otherwise the filters won't return anything on the translated languages.

I'm not sure why you want to have the same content in different languages codes, without changes to them, because they will likely not be ranking since they will be seen as duplicates of the original language (it won't have any penalty or anything but you can't have the same exact content for different languages and expect google to rank them all because of the language meta, because they are all part of the ENGLISH main language so google won't really "rank it better" if it's local or not in this case).

However, before uninstalling WPML, please deactivate the languages first and then you'll see a box in WPML > Languages that will help you delete all the translated content (media, pages, etc) so you can then reset WPML from WPML > Support > Troubleshooting > Reset WPML.

Please let me know if that helps 🙂

July 18, 2024 at 9:51 am #15971438

danishp

Thank you for your insights.

We aim to create distinct stores, as we have done for AU and UK, each with its own specific URL. While our current AU and UK stores share the same language, they feature different currencies and occasionally different content tailored to each country. We used WPML to facilitate this setup and ensure we have the flexibility to show varying content as needed.

In the future, we plan to translate content by creating other stores. However, for now, our priority is to manage the currency and content differences efficiently.

I am currently working on your recommendations and will update you once I determine if they resolve the issue.

July 18, 2024 at 10:17 am #15971636

Alejandro
Supporter

Perfect, then i suggest you duplicate the pages, that will surely make it way faster and easier to navigate to users. at this point then, it's mainly something user-centered which it should not create issues with.

I'd suggest you follow this guide to duplicate the content on your site (products, pages, posts, etc.): https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/#duplicating-content

Then, once you've done that, please make sure you have WooCommerce Multilingual installed (which i see you have already) and then go to WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual > Status and make sure everything mentioned there is done, to ensure that your site works well, fast and redirects correctly everywhere.

You can then let me know if something is not working as intended by first letting me know what you did, how and ultimately what you expected so i know better how to offer you support.

Regards.

July 19, 2024 at 10:13 am #15977351

danishp

Hi Alejandro,

I followed all your recommendations and removed all translations, duplicating all pages, categories, and other content. All these changes were made on the staging platform: hidden link.

However, the performance and speed-related issues persist. Could you please check the staging platform and let me know your recommendations on this?

July 19, 2024 at 1:20 pm #15978611

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello!

Please check this video: hidden link

Before the video the main issue you had was a plugin that was trying to regenerate thumbnails in the background and to be honest i think it was stuck because i had to cancel it after noticing it (i stayed on your site for over an hour at least and it never finished!) and only then i could see what i show you in the video.

Apart from that, there was at least one plugin from the A-C (Starting with one of those letters) that also made the site a bit slower and lastly the theme added some extra performance hit.

Nonetheless, by adding a cache mechanism, you'll probably boost your current setup but it's safe to say there is no more delay as it was before between one language and the other (you were right, it was painfully slow just by switching from one language to the next in the font-end)

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.