Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is experiencing slow site performance due to frequent calls to /wp-json/wpml/tm/v1/ate/jobs/retry and /wp-json/wpml/tm/v1/ate/jobs/sync, which trigger multiple admin-ajax.php calls on every admin page load.
Solution:
We recommend the following steps to improve performance:
1. Check the ATE Error logs by navigating to WPML->Support->ATE Error logs and review the top 5 logs.
2. Deactivate the plugin 'User Import Export for WooCommerce Add-on' when it is not in use.
3. In WPML > Settings, adjust the 'display as translated' settings for post types, taxonomies, and custom fields to 'Translatable only show translated items'. For example:
- Pages: Set to 'Translatable only show translated items'
- Downloads Products (product): Set to 'Translatable only show translated items'
4. Disable the WPML Media Translation add-on if you are not using a different image per language.
5. Run WPML troubleshooting actions via WPML->Support->Troubleshooting, specifically:
- Set language information
- Fix Terms Count
- Remove Ghost Entries
- Cleanup and Optimize string tables

These steps helped reduce the dashboard loading time from 2.04s to 1.63s with WPML activated.

If these steps do not resolve your issue or if the solution seems outdated, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the problem persists, please open a new support ticket.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.26 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Assisted by: Bobby.

Author Posts
August 22, 2024 at 4:12 pm #16095925

Tudor

Background of the issue:
I am currently experiencing issues with our site performance.

Symptoms:
After inspecting php/slow logs, it has been concluded that there are a large number of calls to /wp-json/wpml/tm/v1/ate/jobs/retry and /wp-json/wpml/tm/v1/ate/jobs/sync, which are always followed by several admin-ajax.php calls. From what I have read, these are triggered on every admin page load.

Questions:
Are these calls really needed on every page load?
Is there a way to reduce their frequency?

Screenshot 2024-08-22 at 19.09.55.png
August 23, 2024 at 8:07 pm #16099542

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

These are ATE download requests and are expected when using the ATE editor and/or automatic translations.

Please go to WPML->Support->ATE Error logs and share with me the top 5 logs you see there.

August 30, 2024 at 6:01 am #16122880

Tudor

Hello, sorry for the delay, I was away.

I don't think those errors are relevant, the newest ones are from June, so not related to what was happening now on the site.

Thanks,
Tudor

August 30, 2024 at 9:09 pm #16126338

Bobby
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed It is necessary to take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website. Providing us with access, you agree that a backup has been taken **

I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

September 4, 2024 at 4:59 am #16138270

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details!

The dashboard loading speed is on average 2.04s with WPML activated

The dashboard loading speed is on average 1.05s with WPML activated

Please try the following to help with performance:

1. Deactivate the plugin User Import Export for WooCommerce Add-on when not in use

2. Consider disabling "display as translated" (Fallback mode) from post types, taxonomies, custom fields, etc. in WPML > Settings

For example:
Pages -> Translatable use translation if available or fallback to default language --> set to "Translatable only show translated items"

Downloads Products (product) -> Translatable use translation if available or fallback to default language --> set to "Translatable only show translated items"

3. The WPML Media Translation add-on can be disabled if not using a different image per language.

--------------------------

I have done the following and I was able to get it down to 1.63s loading time:

-- WPML->Support->Troubleshooting-> Run WPML troubleshooting actions, specifically:

Set language information
Fix Terms Count (2,000+ items were processed)
Remove Ghost Entries
Cleanup and Optimize string tables

September 11, 2024 at 9:39 am #16165517

Tudor

Thanks for the advice, some of these I had done, some I didn't know about. I think these further helped.

I also downgraded to the previous version of ATE because it felt like the new one was going a bit crazy sometimes, doesn't seem very stable yet.

Tudor confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-09-11 09:39:21.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.